[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 120: preg_filter(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
QCF Design Community • View topic - Taxidermist Ideas

Taxidermist Ideas

All things Desktop Dungeons

Taxidermist Ideas

Postby Sslazze on Sat Oct 31, 2015 2:41 am

So, I recently bought Desktop Dungeons: Enhanced Edition after enjoying the freeware for a long time, I even just hit 300 hours on my steam playtime!

So, I have an idea after playing regarding Trophy's. After defeating Horatio, the Taxidermist offers a plain 150 gold per monster, which is unchanging. Unlike the game before that. My idea is that, after getting to many of a trophy, that it can drop to the 75 gold value, and drop at exponential values. For example.

I keep doing Western Jungle over and over, getting Druid Sticks at 150 gold. If the Taxidermist does not receive other types of trophy's, the price for missing trophy's and such will rise, and the ones being turned it will lower.

For example, I never do The Labyrinth. Therefore, I never turn in Nose Rings. So under my idea, Nose Rings would begin to exponentially rise with every boss trophy that is not a nose ring, to a max of 300 gold.

How would raising work? After 5 dungeon runs, if that trophy had not been turned in at all, it would raise by a small amount, 3 more dungeon runs without turning in that trophy would give another increase, and then every dungeon run after that, that does not give that trophy, will continue to raise it.

Whereas, for lowering, the Taxidermist will look at your past 20 Dungeon Runs, and lower trophy's that appear frequently in those 12 runs. Any trophy that appears twice will be lowered by the 10 gold value, and start dropping from there as if the market was crashing.

Raising Value: 150 > 175 > 200 > 250 > 300
Lowering Value: 150 > 140 > 120 > 100 > 75

After turning in a trophy that is at the 300 value, it will lower to the value under it, and will stay at that value until 20 additional dungeon runs have run it out of the factor.

This is a rough idea, and can use some number tweaking, but I think it would be a variying value that helps you choose which dungeon to play beside the P.I.Q. or the chosen Hot dungeon. Especially if the Hot Dungeon just so happens to be your 300 value monster!

To prevent abuse of selling the trophy in the dungeon, if the boss spawns in the completed dungeon, but was not sold to the Taxidermist, it will not factor toward raising or lowering.

Ideas or criticism of this?
Sslazze

Re: Taxidermist Ideas

Postby dislekcia on Mon Nov 02, 2015 1:41 pm

We tried something quite like this. In the end having a sort of "reactive" economy for the trophies proved really hard to integrate into the story in a solid way, so we sort of gave up on the idea. We settled for having trophies stay stable after you complete the story because we reasoned players had already pretty much proven that they could play the whole game after that point and that if they were going to need more motivation to try stuff we could (and did) supply that with the vicious challenges and the like.

I understand how messing with the trophy values would help people decide what to play when they didn't have a project they were working on, but we figured that after that much playtime a little indecision was okay ;)

We also didn't want to punish people who were working on a specific dungeon a lot - if there's a badge you're going after but you just keep missing, it's better to abandon going for it but still finish the dungeon to get money towards preps. If the trophy values kept decreasing, then we'd be forcing players to grind another dungeon run after their failed badge attempt (and to just abandon that run as soon as they thought they'd messed it up, which is super not how we want to encourage engagement with DD) to help afford another "serious" attempt.
dislekcia

Postby Darvin on Mon Nov 02, 2015 4:28 pm

Another issue was that it was too easy to constantly ping-pong from one max-value trophy to the next for massive gold income. Here's an example of my trophy history from back in the day.
Darvin

Postby Sslazze on Tue Nov 03, 2015 2:29 am

Sslazze

Return to Desktop Dungeons