[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 120: preg_filter(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
QCF Design Community • View topic - Challenge Playthrough Live Stream - NOV 8, 6PM EST!

Challenge Playthrough Live Stream - NOV 8, 6PM EST!

All things Desktop Dungeons

Challenge Playthrough Live Stream - NOV 8, 6PM EST!

Postby TheSchachter on Sun Nov 08, 2015 8:28 am

Hey everyone! I'm going to be attempting my first ever livestream for desktop dungeons this evening (nov 8)! Like I mentioned in the anniversary topic, I'll be doing a minimal-runs playthrough, where the goal is to beat Gaan-Telet while completing as few dungeon runs as possible. This imposes significant limits on what gets unlocked; most notably, you can't get the bank upgrades and as such can't save up enough money to unlock tier 3 classes! (or can you?) I credit Darvin for sharing this challenge idea some time ago; I think it's a really neat way to appraoch the game!

Basic rules:

-The playthrough lasts from the beginning of the game until victory in Hard Gaan-Telet
-Every dungeon run must aim to acquire a new trophy at the Taxidermist OR to unlock a dungeon which will lead to a new trophy, to progress the playthrough towards unlocking the final dungeon
-Upgrades and items can be unlocked only if they can normally be unlocked while playing according to the previous rule - no class challenges, no repeat of a dungeon to do a quest if it won't lead to a new trophy.

I've done some testing but I haven't done a full run, so this should be interesting ;) I also don't know if I'll be able to do the full playthrough in one sitting, but I've set aside the entire evening and I expect it'll be a fun experience. So please come and join me if you like! Leave comments, ask questions, laugh at my mistakes... have fun!

Stream starts at 6pm, Eastern Standard Time!
http://www.twitch.tv/theschachter
Come watch my Desktop Dungeons Videos!
http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCthxFjzttU83tslTUnoFhug
TheSchachter

Re: Challenge Playthrough Live Stream - NOV 8, 6PM EST!

Postby ~'(^ + ^)'~ on Sun Nov 08, 2015 8:35 am

No expert here but are there any pre-requisites for the last quest? Like certain gods need to be unlocked or the Witch needs to be unlocked etc.? I hope you are doing this with at least some knowledge that it can be done without any dependency on luck or RNG.

Concerns aside, you have my full support, will try to take a look at your stream when it is live. Good luck and happy DD-ing! :D
~'(^ + ^)'~

Postby Tinker on Sun Nov 08, 2015 9:05 am

Hey, good luck! This should be interesting! :)

On my new kingdom, I was not hurrying with my unlocks (I didn't have any such strict rules as you, I just wanted to play the game a bit more "pure", if that makes any sense...). So basically when I got to HGT, I had almost nothing unlocked; so I ended up doing it Faithless, with basic potions & items, etc. Rogue did the trick for me... ;)

(I'm not promising to stay up so late, that's like Midnight CET, but I'll be rooting for you nevertheless! ;) ).
"Thinker", just without the "ache".
Tinker

Postby William on Sun Nov 08, 2015 11:03 am

Too bad that I live in the future. Unfortunately I will be asleep when you start streaming (1am, 9 November in my country.) ;)
"Because Goatperson"
William

Postby Darvin on Sun Nov 08, 2015 11:29 am

Darvin

Postby TheSchachter on Mon Nov 09, 2015 5:37 am

Well, the stream is now over, and Horatio has been conquered. I'll have a more detailed writeup later, and probably upload the run (or at least parts of it, it's ridiculously long) to youtube, but for now I just want to thank everyone who joined me, notably Darvin, who go to see an atrocious Creeplight Ruins run and gave some helpful comments, and walwl, who I don't believe is on the forums but stuck with me and cheered on until the end. In spite of some hilariously disastrous mistakes and misclicks on my part (which caused me to completely fail to achieve a low-run count), I had a blast and managed to stick to a full 6-ish hour playthrough of Desktop Dungeons.

I'm going to go collapse now :D
Come watch my Desktop Dungeons Videos!
http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCthxFjzttU83tslTUnoFhug
TheSchachter

Postby ~'(^ + ^)'~ on Mon Nov 09, 2015 6:06 am

Wish I could join, but I am at work, so ... In any case, hope you can upload some parts of it to share with the rest of us who missed your exciting adventure, :)
~'(^ + ^)'~

Postby dislekcia on Mon Nov 09, 2015 10:56 am

Wow, 6 hours to complete! That's pretty damn good :)

I popped into the stream a couple of times, but the combination of it being 3am here and good old SA internet meant I couldn't keep watching for long.

Thanks for giving this a go, I enjoyed what I did manage to see and I hope that my tweets brought a few more people to watch.
dislekcia

Postby William on Mon Nov 09, 2015 11:45 am

I'm so glad twitch lets you watch streams after the fact. I have watched a bit of your stream during my lunch break, and it is quite entertaining so far. Maybe I should go try a new kingdom run again. :)
"Because Goatperson"
William

Postby Tinker on Mon Nov 09, 2015 9:32 pm

I didn't manage to join yesterday, I actually intended to stay up but had a headache and called it a day sometime around you were finishing your lunch... :)

Anyway, I started to watch it now. I see two files and even the earlier one starts mid-run so I assume there was a third one before that... Anyway, comments are totally hilarious (I want more magic user monsters... No, I want more *high level* magic user monsters... :lol:)! 8-)
"Thinker", just without the "ache".
Tinker

Next

Return to Desktop Dungeons