[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 120: preg_filter(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 120: preg_filter(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
QCF Design Community • View topic - What Else Do You Play?

What Else Do You Play?

All things Desktop Dungeons

Re: What Else Do You Play?

Postby Nurator on Mon Dec 31, 2018 7:59 pm

You should definitely check the mod out, its just amazing!
Nurator

Postby shade_of_ox on Mon Dec 31, 2018 9:42 pm

I also heartily recommend the mod. It's shaping up to be basically DD 2 with almost as much content as the base game already, and it's less than half done...

Don't be scared off by the difficulty disclaimers, it's not really that much harder than figuring out how to play the base game the first time. ;)
shade_of_ox

Postby Xenagie on Mon Dec 31, 2018 11:33 pm

I'm in the exact same boat -- I worry about my steam not "liking" the mod, losing access to dailies, losing save progress, or the mod adding a false difficulty that makes the base game "unfun"(which has happened with quite a few DLCs I've downloaded over the years. This thread definitely helps put my mind at ease about that.

For other games, I'd definitely add my recommendation to those who say Tales of Maj'Eyal. The depth of the tactical combat scratches the same itch Desktop Dungeons does. In both games, you are rewarded for careful thought, deep knowledge, and cleverness. They both have this core gameplay loop where you are CONSTANTLY thinking, reevaluating, and planning. In Tales of Maj'Eyal, the cooldowns and lack of consumables prevents spamminess and promotes tactical thinking. Like DD, there are many classes, and real gameplay differences between them, so that it always feels like there are different ways to skin a cat. Both have innovative mechanics that constantly create novel gameplay situations, and an incredibly high skill ceiling where you can keep learning and sharpening your skills. And like DD, there is a great free version to try(in fact it's pretty much the whole game without some donator features and DLC.) I can't recommend it enough.
Xenagie

Postby dislekcia on Wed Jan 02, 2019 10:28 am

dislekcia

Postby srid on Wed Jan 02, 2019 5:38 pm

We made an expansion and it is awesome. Really, you should check it out, especially if you're looking for some extra challenge.

Download over at ddmod.weebly.com!
srid

Postby Xenagie on Wed Jan 02, 2019 10:57 pm

Yeah, I'll definitely have to try it, I am really excited for it, but I kept hesitating and thinking "maybe I should do everything in the base game first, just in case." If I install it in a new directory, it sounds like I won't damage my save. By "false difficulty", I didn't mean any offense. I was just thinking I had some bad experiences in the past, and was just saying Nurator, Shade of Ox, and your comment's put my mind at ease about it.

I meant things like old Doom mods that would fill the maps with almost unkillable mobs, DLCs that I've played that have added new features haphazardly to the base game in order to "provide challenge to experienced players", or really unbalanced add-ons that make the base game difficult to the point of unfunness. I don't want to name specific cases both because it seems kinda negative, and because I'm afraid I'd end up arguing with people who were like "What do you mean, the new mega-spider death gods in the first level of "Bunny Hop Adventures" " "hurt gameplay"!?! I got over 500 hours of fun out of the chainsaw death maze alone!!"

It sounds REALLY awesome, and I'm excited to start playing it. Thanks for putting so much work into a game we both love.
Xenagie

Postby The Avatar on Thu Jan 03, 2019 1:17 am

We made an expansion and it is awesome. Really, you should check it out, especially if you're looking for some extra challenge.

Download over at ddmod.weebly.com!
The Avatar

Previous

Return to Desktop Dungeons