[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 120: preg_filter(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 120: preg_filter(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
QCF Design Community • View topic - What Else Do You Play?

What Else Do You Play?

All things Desktop Dungeons

Re: What Else Do You Play?

Postby DarkDungeoneer1020 on Fri Aug 12, 2016 12:05 am

Desktop Dungeons D.E.R.P ID: Dungeoneer1020
Current Favorite Desktop Dungeons Race/Class Combos: Gnome Sorcerer, Gnome Tinker
Favorite God: TT
My Desktop Dungeons Videos: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCMvtEv ... IAVrc1492g
AKA:
Dark
Bad at DD
DarkDungeoneer1020

Postby DarkDungeoneer1020 on Thu Aug 25, 2016 6:58 pm

I've been messing around with a couple of games recently and I thought i should list them here since i found them to be pretty good

Reigns
It's a choose your own adventure style card game where you try to balance your Church/Population/Army/Treasury whilst trying to recruit new characters and reach one of the 3 endings

Rimworld
A crashed colony survival-sandbox RTS game with attributes like Dwarf Fortress in the form of character backstories and relations

If you don't like buying things directly from Steam:
Reigns on Humblebundle
Rimworld on Humblebundle
Current Favorite Desktop Dungeons Race/Class Combos: Gnome Sorcerer, Gnome Tinker
My Desktop Dungeons Videos: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCMvtEv ... IAVrc1492g
AKA:
Dark
Bad at DD
DarkDungeoneer1020

Postby sourdust on Thu Sep 15, 2016 5:58 am

Focusing on the "puzzle" aspect rather than the "rogue-like" aspect of DD...

1) SpaceChem. This one had me scheming while lying in bed late at night, trying to figure out exacrtly the right sequencing of operations needed to get past the level I was currently stuck on. And I was always stuck on a level. Just like I lay awake wondering how to crack various gold class puzzles in DD... SpaceChem is really the only other puzzler I've come across that had me obsessing as much as DD.
2) Unity of Command. Sure, it has WW2 wargame trappings, but basically this is a game about careful sequencing and positioning of operations. And similar to DD, the game design is very simple, but the simplicity of design involves considerable subtlety and nuance in the mechanics, plus a hint of luck. And scenarios play out in under an hour.
3) Minimetro. A bit different, a totally minimalist game about connecting train/subway stations. Very stripped back, very addictive.
4) FTL. Yep.
5) Conquest of Elysium 4 - not really a puzzler, more like a 4x lite with some rogue-like things. Really strange mythologies, quick gameplay, hard as heck against boosted AI. Maddening, unfair, addictive.
sourdust

Postby zayyeh on Tue Sep 27, 2016 6:12 am

Runestore keeper is fun.

UPD: for a few days ;)
We made an expansion and it is awesome. Download over at ddmod.weebly.com.
zayyeh

Postby sitnaltax on Thu Oct 13, 2016 11:55 pm

I stopped playing Dream Quest just long enough to stop by and recommend Dream Quest to everyone here. Imagine Desktop Dungeons, but you fight the monsters by building a deck of cards to use against them. The skills and treasures you get all go into your deck as cards, which grows over the course of the game. It's a _little_ longer than Desktop Dungeons (a won game takes about as long as a VGT run) and it very much scratches the same itch.
sitnaltax

Postby Tinker on Fri Oct 14, 2016 6:00 am

"Thinker", just without the "ache".
Tinker

Postby sitnaltax on Sat Oct 15, 2016 1:12 am

Thanks for the kind words! The only thing standing between me and Rainbows Everywhere is (still) VGT Rat, which I never got to work. Is there a video or additional guide somewhere? I know you posted strategies soon after you did it the first time, but I never got those to work... just always ran out of gas on floor 5-6 somewhere.
sitnaltax

Postby Tinker on Sat Oct 15, 2016 5:16 am

"Thinker", just without the "ache".
Tinker

Postby ~'(^ + ^)'~ on Sat Oct 15, 2016 5:44 am

@sitnaltax:

The "tough" part is mainly the scumming and a bit of luck comes into play. It's really amazing that the Rat can win even without Halpmeh and Soul Orb. It's really down to whether you can get some good items and conserving blackspace. The first time I won, I had Vampiric Blade and Platemail, that really makes it easy, could even win without dipping into Dracul. You just have to make use of lifestealing, a little like how Vampires use bloodcows, and sometimes just munch on popcorn to ding for the extra push, especially against the more troublesome foes or to make use of level up to wipe poison and mana-burn.

Halpmeh is obviously one of the best glyphs, but even Pisorf from Binlor or just Burndayraz are also good enough. As Tinker mentioned in her Rat post, Lemissi can help you access unreachable blackspace and can be super useful even if you leave it to the end for H. Weytwut could also work, to help with positioning of foes.

H is a joke for Rat, especially when you have Platemail. You really only need like a few 100 HP (really little) to corrode him and then he would go down super easily. So, really clearing the 9 floors before him is the main "challenge".

I am pretty sure you just need more practice, granted it's quite troublesome having to scum for first floor PM. And of course, some luck, :) Good luck! Hope to see your full rainbows map soon, :)
~'(^ + ^)'~

Postby DarkDungeoneer1020 on Mon Oct 17, 2016 3:02 am

AKA:
Dark
Bad at DD
DarkDungeoneer1020

PreviousNext

Return to Desktop Dungeons