[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 120: preg_filter(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 120: preg_filter(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
QCF Design Community • View topic - What Else Do You Play?

What Else Do You Play?

All things Desktop Dungeons

Re: What Else Do You Play?

Postby zayyeh on Sat Mar 26, 2016 7:29 pm

Got Caves of Qud today :)
We made an expansion and it is awesome. Download over at ddmod.weebly.com.
zayyeh

Postby DarkDungeoneer1020 on Sun Mar 27, 2016 11:36 am

Desktop Dungeons D.E.R.P ID: Dungeoneer1020
Current Favorite Desktop Dungeons Race/Class Combos: Gnome Sorcerer, Gnome Tinker
Favorite God: TT
My Desktop Dungeons Videos: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCMvtEv ... IAVrc1492g
AKA:
Dark
Bad at DD
DarkDungeoneer1020

Postby zayyeh on Sun Mar 27, 2016 4:17 pm

zayyeh

Postby Lynzkar on Mon Mar 28, 2016 2:20 am

Bit late to join in on this, but other games I play(ed) & recommend to ya lot.
FTL_
One of the best roguelites I've played, the music, the atomosphere, it all adds up perfectly. I highly recommend getting the captain's edition mod for this, it adds alot of gameplay, and alot of mechanics.

Dungeons of Dredmor_
Another one I haven't played in a while, however it fullfills the role of a classic roguelike game, and it has silly classes, like Bankster, Communist, Necroeconomist. I highly recommend getting it with all the DLC.

Nuclear Throne_
Topdown Shooter in Arcadelike style, meets roguelite & bullet hell elements. Lots of fun to be had, great learning curve.

The Binding of Isaac: Rebirth_
You play as a crying baby that mutates while trying to escape his mother. Pretty darn weird artisticly, great gameplay wise, deep physcologicaly. Heavily inspired by the old zelda game's dungeon style.

Risk of Rain_
I will just let this steam review speak for me here : http://steamcommunity.com/id/ExplosiveO ... ed/248820/

Undertale_
It's quite an emotional expirience, You have probary heard about it, as it has been quite poupular recently, and then the community went downhill. Nontheless the game it self very emotional and good, however it lacks replayability aside from the 3 different endings (Neutral, Pacifist, Genocide). I recommend it if you haven't watched any playthrus of it.

Terraria_
2d sandbox adventure, quite alot of fun, you build stuff, it looks cool, you fight stuff, you feel powerful or weak, you explore, you find dank memes gear, alot of things to do.

League of Legends, & DotA 2_
MOBAs
I don't really recommend these, they are way to timeconsuming, but they work great as games to play with friends, unless you take the games too seriously. Kinda lame to play on your own.

Awesomenauts_
2d platformer moba, plays very differntly than other mobas, acctualy fun to play on your own.
I am the king of the rats now! Bow before me, peasants.
Class-suggestions, with sprites
Lynzkar

Postby DarkDungeoneer1020 on Mon Mar 28, 2016 11:34 am

Desktop Dungeons D.E.R.P ID: Dungeoneer1020
Current Favorite Desktop Dungeons Race/Class Combos: Gnome Sorcerer, Gnome Tinker
Favorite God: TT
My Desktop Dungeons Videos: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCMvtEv ... IAVrc1492g
AKA:
Dark
Bad at DD
DarkDungeoneer1020

Postby zayyeh on Mon Jun 06, 2016 3:05 pm

Card Crawl on my iPad. Quite entertaining and a little bit similar to DD
zayyeh

Postby Tinker on Mon Jun 06, 2016 6:30 pm

"Thinker", just without the "ache".
Tinker

Postby dislekcia on Wed Jun 08, 2016 8:29 pm

I haven't finished Sunless Sea as yet (although I plan to one day). I kinda just had my second or third captain play very timidly and focus on exploration, so there's a lot of stuff to discover and the stories do change over time as you start affecting the world and its factions more. That said, I have no idea where it goes in the end ;)
dislekcia

Postby Phoil on Thu Jun 09, 2016 12:03 pm

I played Sunless Sea through to one of the endings (ambitions). The combat becomes a lot more manageable once you can afford a corvette with two reasonable weapons (the most cost-efficient cannons are fine, no need to go for top end). I quite enjoyed the writing all the way through. It can be a bit slow and grindy at times though, and I didn't feel there was enough content to replay it for any further endings.

Other games that I've recently played:

Runestone Keeper. Some small similarities to desktop dungeons. It has poor balance and terrible writing, but still fun. The RNG can be daunting at first, but you can learn strategies to overcome that.

Sproggiwood. Minimal roguelike. No replay value, but playing through it once was fun. Make sure you are playing on the hardest difficulty.

Tales of Maj'Eyal. Traditional roguelike. This was okay, but I found it had too much trivial combat, with occasional spikes in difficulty that killed you. Can be fun if you like trying out lots of different builds, but attempting to finish it was too tedious and time consuming for me.

Bionic Dues. Good turn based tactical combat. Decent range of enemy unit types, and the interactions between them help replayability.
Phoil

Postby Tinker on Thu Aug 11, 2016 9:25 am

A friend recommended Invisible Inc., and I tried it, and it's looks nice! (He told me that it's one of the only two Roguelike games he never got bored of, the other being the awesome FTL; note that we also agreed that DD is *not really* a Roguelike... :) ).

So anyway, you basically have this undercover agency who does these infiltration missions into mega-corporations, trying to steal data, or new prototypes, or just access some facility. You have a deadline (it's normally 72 hours), and you can use this time to do your missions. You can always pick from a number of choices, and so there's a bit of strategy in which missions you pick up, and in which order; and then also each mega-corporation has different security measures, so depending on what skills and equipment you have in your party, you may be better equipped to deal with some of them.

Each mission is a procedurally generated map, where you need to move prudently but swiftly, exploring, hacking or avoiding the security measures, avoiding the guards. There are lethal weapons so you can kill the guards, but it's much better to just knock them out. The security gets tightened as you get spotted, so you may get into a situation where you kill a guard and two more arrive to investigate the death.

What I like about the game is that there are many ways you can go about things; there doesn't seem to be any winning strategy, it's more like, you need to make the most of what you find, and sometimes adapt your tactics to unexpected turn of events. Like, you have cameras that alert the guards of your presence, which is bad; but you can hack them, which means now you can use them to spot the guards; or you can shoot them; you can use EMP to temporarily disable them while you pass; and then you have some rare gems (like there's this one agent who can disguise herself and pass by cameras unnoticed; or you can use a holograph projector to obscure the camera's field of vision; you can use subdermal cloaks to avoid notice; and I'm sure I'm just scratching the surface... :) ).

Anyway, I haven't really played it that much, but based on what I've seen it looks like a good game.
"Thinker", just without the "ache".
Tinker

PreviousNext

Return to Desktop Dungeons