[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 120: preg_filter(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 120: preg_filter(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
QCF Design Community • View topic - What Else Do You Play?

What Else Do You Play?

All things Desktop Dungeons

Re: What Else Do You Play?

Postby sitnaltax on Thu Dec 15, 2016 5:58 am

sitnaltax

Postby dislekcia on Sat Dec 24, 2016 1:00 pm

dislekcia

Postby zayyeh on Fri Dec 30, 2016 5:22 am

Wow, that is a lot! Does sound and music cost cheaper?
On a side note I died 50 times or so, but could not beat 3rd level on a Bear difficulty. Any words of wisdom?
We made an expansion and it is awesome. Download over at ddmod.weebly.com.
zayyeh

Postby dislekcia on Thu Jan 05, 2017 10:10 pm

dislekcia

Postby sitnaltax on Fri Jan 06, 2017 2:13 am

A couple more DQ hints:

* Of the four "base" classes, I think Warrior and Thief are the easy ones; Wizard and Priest are more difficult. Samurai is unlocked early and pretty strong.
* Be very discerning about what you put into your deck, even free cards. Level 1 is fairly easy and you don't want bad cards bloating your deck in level 3. For example, generally avoid the "elemental strike" cards unless there's a Blacksmith you need to take advantage of. Likewise, a Slice looks attractive, but you'll regret it later on if you find better Actions that collide with it.
* As dislekcia said, the game really is unfair. The two biggest ways you get hosed are a boss that shuts down your character (Ice Queen against an ice wizard, Magmadon or Kraken against a combo-chain thief) or too many L7/L10 enemies on level 2 or 3 for you to handle. There are ways to struggle on, but sometimes you just have to play again and hope for better luck next time.
* Don't be afraid to spend your points to unlock talents. Particularly important talents to unlock are Sublime (L3: all your damage becomes piercing) and Archmage (L4: your spells cost no mana). Sublime in particular is by far the best L3 talent for probably 85% of chracters.
* For a level 1 talent, almost always take Flee. It's a free mulligan that you can use every fight. Level 2 is a tougher choice; interesting options include Copy (on a Circle or Gauss's Hourglass); Polymorph; Equipped; or one of the unlockable talents that gives you 3 cards relating to a particular class.
sitnaltax

Postby Tinker on Fri Jan 06, 2017 9:07 pm

What I would really-really love to play is a Desktop Dungeons 2, or - given how perfect the base game still is - some sort of Mod or Expansion to it. I mean the game is totally awesome, but it's still the same 28 maps and 21 classes, and if you're not a completionist, then you'll not worry about re-winning each map until you get the Rainbows; and if the Dailies are just not your thing (due to schedule or whatever reason), I can totally see the game becoming like an ornament: you keep it around, you think nice thoughts about it; but you just don't play it anymore. If only, some new content would somehow be possible... :roll:
"Thinker", just without the "ache".
Tinker

Postby Azira on Mon Jan 09, 2017 2:43 am

Rainbow Road: 6
Azira

Postby dislekcia on Wed Jan 18, 2017 11:16 pm

Yeah, I doubt we'd be able to make a sequel to DD TBH. I know that sounds like I'm being a buzzkill, but things are very different now... Nandrew moving on really made new DD stuff difficult indeed. We did okay with the Enhanced Edition content, but it took me way longer than it would have taken him to make the Rat and Chemist playable.

I'm also still really unsure what else we could do in the play space... I mean, yes there are wrinkles in the classes or items that *miiiiiight* be fun to explore, but the game now feels pretty complete. Most people still don't get too far in it, so adding even more stuff they'll never see seems like a bad idea. One thing I wish I could do is update the graphics to get away from our resolution snafu. But hey, the game is there and redoing all the art wouldn't be a sequel and would never make enough people interested to pay for the time it would take, so it'll stay a dream :(

New QCF stuff so far has been in very different genres. Picked up a Vive, so I made a golf prototype to test a portal idea I'd been knocking around for a few months. There's also a weird take on Arkanoid that I've been messing with for like a decade now, new version of that seemed to get some attention a week ago, so maybe I'm on to something.

... I realise this is not helping when talking in a topic about stuff similar to DD. My bad.
dislekcia

Postby zayyeh on Mon Feb 13, 2017 7:46 am

We made an expansion and it is awesome. Download over at ddmod.weebly.com.
zayyeh

Postby dislekcia on Sat Mar 11, 2017 8:33 pm

dislekcia

PreviousNext

Return to Desktop Dungeons