[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 390: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 120: preg_filter(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 120: preg_filter(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
QCF Design Community • View topic - What Else Do You Play?

What Else Do You Play?

All things Desktop Dungeons

Re: What Else Do You Play?

Postby DarkDungeoneer1020 on Tue Feb 09, 2016 2:58 pm

Desktop Dungeons D.E.R.P ID: Dungeoneer1020
Current Favorite Desktop Dungeons Race/Class Combos: Gnome Sorcerer, Gnome Tinker
Favorite God: TT
My Desktop Dungeons Videos: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCMvtEv ... IAVrc1492g
AKA:
Dark
Bad at DD
DarkDungeoneer1020

Postby Tinker on Tue Feb 09, 2016 10:48 pm

I took a look at The Beginner's Guide (I could swear I read a recommendation for it from dislekcia, or from someone on this forum, though I don't know if I'm just making things up? anyway.)

Do you need to be a computer programmer to appreciate this game?

I mean, don't get me wrong, it wasn't a bad experience (though it's extremely short), it reminded me of amateur theater exercises in style, but I'm not really sure what to make of it? Is it even a game? :lol:
"Thinker", just without the "ache".
Tinker

Postby DarkDungeoneer1020 on Wed Feb 10, 2016 4:37 am

Current Favorite Desktop Dungeons Race/Class Combos: Gnome Sorcerer, Gnome Tinker
My Desktop Dungeons Videos: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCMvtEv ... IAVrc1492g
AKA:
Dark
Bad at DD
DarkDungeoneer1020

Postby Lujo on Wed Feb 10, 2016 10:09 am

^ Helps if you're an artist (in a broad sense) or a minecraft enthusiast or both. It had several powerful moments, and a buddy who loved it and recommended it to me still critisized the arty-fartyness of it. And he's a visual artist. He made me download the engine, too because "this sort of c**p gets passed off as games, I love it, I want to see what you do with it".

Anyone play the Sorcery! mobile games? They got recommended to me for the quality of their writing, I tried, the writing was standard fantasy shlock (a bit retro, too, which has it's quaint charm). First one was meh, but the second one, with the town exploration, seems to be quite appealing. The whole town exploration thing in a text adventure mode looks like a teriffic basis for a promotional game for tourism, and now I'm compelled to try to figure out how to use some engine to try to put one togather.

I could put together an endless stream of those if I can somehow make just 1.
I almost got pwned by Shifty Brickwork!
Lujo

Postby zayyeh on Wed Feb 10, 2016 10:17 am

I tried Sorcery! on my iPad, but I didnt' really like an idea how combat works and casting spells..
We made an expansion and it is awesome. Download over at ddmod.weebly.com.
zayyeh

Postby Lujo on Wed Feb 10, 2016 10:21 am

Yeah, the combat is pretty minor, it's pretty much there so it can pass itself off as a game rather than straight up digital fiction. Spells, though, are a cool mechanic when they interveawe with the story properly. I'm not sure what I'd replace that mechanic with if I actually went and did something constructive.

The writing in those games, at least in the first one, is pretty meh, but the second one made me feel like I was actually vacationing somewhere. Take out the boring fantasy cliches, insert genre whatever, have an exotic location with lots of history behind it... I'm from a place which developed around a 1700 year old Roman palace/villa/camp/town which is still in use and has been continuously throughout history. Ton of tourists around the place, particularly since GoT was filmed in and around it, would make an awesome setting for something like that. You can play a fictional story that's happening in it, and you've been there and seen all the weird stuff, except you can do things you can't IRL or be someone you aren't IRL.

I think we might see a lot of that sort of thing spring up for the mobile things in the future.
Lujo

Postby DarkDungeoneer1020 on Wed Feb 10, 2016 10:31 am

AKA:
Dark
Bad at DD
DarkDungeoneer1020

Postby Lujo on Wed Feb 10, 2016 11:08 am

Oh, wow, thanks a bunch for that! Oh, and 80 Days seems like the logical next step for them, I think I should check it out. Might be more interesting than Sorcery!

I might actually jump on this wagon on time.
Last edited by Lujo on Wed Feb 10, 2016 11:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
Lujo

Postby DarkDungeoneer1020 on Wed Feb 10, 2016 11:12 am

Last edited by DarkDungeoneer1020 on Wed Feb 10, 2016 11:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
AKA:
Dark
Bad at DD
DarkDungeoneer1020

Postby Lujo on Wed Feb 10, 2016 11:19 am

Say, anyone interested in starting a forum game, if Dislekcia permits, of "Sure you can!" (that's what the game was originally called in Croatian). Always wanted to see if I'm good enough to properly translate the Croatian nonsense into English and keep it funny? Most of it is untranslateable (in a way which keeps the rhytm and layers of meaning and double entendres), but some's bound to work. "Blind idiot translation" related confusion is possibly even beneficial. Sorry for going off topic.
Lujo

PreviousNext

Return to Desktop Dungeons