[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 390: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 120: preg_filter(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 120: preg_filter(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
QCF Design Community • View topic - What Else Do You Play?

What Else Do You Play?

All things Desktop Dungeons

Re: What Else Do You Play?

Postby Tinker on Tue Nov 17, 2015 7:03 pm

"Thinker", just without the "ache".
Tinker

Postby haaxtus on Tue Nov 17, 2015 8:06 pm

Wesnoth seems to be a perfect fit. You should definitely give that one a try.

- http://www.wesnoth.org/
haaxtus

Postby Blovski on Tue Nov 17, 2015 9:04 pm

Blovski

Postby Blovski on Tue Nov 17, 2015 9:08 pm

Lately I've been playing a lot of Heroes of the Storm despite my general loathing of all other MOBAs ever. It's got the fun sort of baby-competitive mode without the stupid hangover designs that make other MOBA games uncooperative. I've also been playing the newest AOE 2 HD expansion (African Kingdoms) and Pillars of Eternity. I had an attack of Crusader Kings 2 which I've just about shaken off. In general I like a lot of Paradox games, old-school CRPGs, city-builder and RTS games, though I can't handle Starcraft.

Like, I wish I was one of those people who liked short games with self-contained stories instead of time sinks but that's just not how I'm made.
Blovski

Postby Tinker on Wed Nov 18, 2015 12:21 am

"Thinker", just without the "ache".
Tinker

Postby dislekcia on Wed Nov 18, 2015 3:03 am

The two games I play the most at the moment are Spelunky (the dailies, directly inspired ours) and 0h n0 on iOS. Spelunky is just straight up the best game ever made and 0h n0 is a great little time-sink when I'm on the move. I've got my 9x9 clear record down to 41s ;)

FTL is my go to "long plane trip" iPad game of choice. My girlfried and I play a lot of LoL together and I'm sorta trying to get back into Starcraft 2.

If anyone's keen on smart turn-based combat stuff, take a look at Hoplite (I think that's got a PC port now as well). I got massively hooked on Dream Quest a while back as well.
dislekcia

Postby TheSchachter on Wed Nov 18, 2015 5:03 am

I cycle through little obsessions at varying paces, though without a doubt Desktop Dungeons is the obsession that stuck with me the longest, and the one that comes back to me the most often But aside from that, here's way too many thoughts on games I like:

(Warning: I get way too excited when I start talking about things I love)

Binding of Isaac

Crypt of the Necrodancer

Don't Starve

Hand of Fate

Hearhstone

Sid Meier's Civilization series

The Harvest Moon series

Other games that I also really like but that I no longer have the energy to write essays about anymore and may be less relevant to the topic include:

-Fire Emblem Awakening: Really enjoyable strategy game with gameplay neatly leading in and out of the stories your characters develop between one another. Unfortunately lost it when I lost my 3DS :(

-League of Legends: I like this game a lot... but I don't enjoy playing it much. I used to play it a lot more with my ex back when we lived together, but otherwise, the friends I could play it with are far better than I am and I don't enjoy getting yelled at (by them or by strangers :P)

-Mentioning Hoplite as well because dislekcia brought it up. Easily the best game on my phone.

-Hyrule Warriors: I didn't "get" Dynasty Warriors until they put a Zelda-themed coat of paint on it. Way more silly and mindless than the other stuff I play, but this is exactly the kind of mindless-yet-still-engaging game I like.

-Smash Bros.: I played Melee for years casually, and for a while I was getting decently skilled at a competitive level on Smash 4 thanks to meeting a friend at work who had tournament experienced and wiped the floor with me (at my request) until I started getting better. Don't see him anymore, though, so I haven't had much opportunity to play with other humans (my connection isn't quite reliable enough to have a good time online). Still love it though.

There's more... but I'm starting to fall asleep, and I've spent too much time writing this already :P
Come watch my Desktop Dungeons Videos!
http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCthxFjzttU83tslTUnoFhug
TheSchachter

Postby Darvin on Wed Nov 18, 2015 6:32 am

Darvin

Postby lordatog on Wed Nov 18, 2015 9:16 am

It's not at all random and has little to do with DD, but if you're looking for a mind-bending pure puzzle game, they don't get better than Deadly Rooms of Death (DROD for short). Aside from that, I'm currently going through the new Binding of Isaac expansion and the new Tomb Raider game, as well as playing quite a bit of Magic: the Gathering with my friends.
lordatog

Postby Nurator on Wed Nov 18, 2015 11:53 am

I am wondering, why no one mentioned the gem SpaceChem yet! Its as awesome as a puzzle game can get! But maybe thats only the mathematician in me speaking... anyone of you played it before?
Nurator

PreviousNext

Return to Desktop Dungeons