What Else Do You Play?

All things Desktop Dungeons

Re: What Else Do You Play?

Postby Tinker on Tue Nov 17, 2015 7:03 pm

Gakato wrote:For a turn-based game I can highly recommend to have a look at XCOM Enemy Unknown (with or without the expansion Enemy Within). You can save anytime, though a whole playthrough through the campaign in order to save humanity may take a while! :)

Funny you would say that, I've been playing this very game for the last couple of days. I only have the base version, and the character builds seem very limited (i.e. you get 2 choices each level-up what to pick, but in the majority of cases one pick seems outright better than the other, so pretty much all characters of the same class end up very similar to eachother... and there are only 4 classes...). That said, I enjoyed saving the world from the evil UFOs, and I'm sure I'll save it again sometime...
"Thinker", just without the "ache".
Tinker

Postby haaxtus on Tue Nov 17, 2015 8:06 pm

Wesnoth seems to be a perfect fit. You should definitely give that one a try.

- http://www.wesnoth.org/
haaxtus

Postby Blovski on Tue Nov 17, 2015 9:04 pm

Tinker wrote:So how I got into DD was after a recommendation that it was similar to FTL. It isn't, but I don't regret this because FTL is awesome but DD is even more so!

Yeah, FTL is great if a bit brutal. I think they need a randomised boss to be more interesting.

Tinker wrote:
Gakato wrote:For a turn-based game I can highly recommend to have a look at XCOM Enemy Unknown (with or without the expansion Enemy Within). You can save anytime, though a whole playthrough through the campaign in order to save humanity may take a while! :)

Funny you would say that, I've been playing this very game for the last couple of days. I only have the base version, and the character builds seem very limited (i.e. you get 2 choices each level-up what to pick, but in the majority of cases one pick seems outright better than the other, so pretty much all characters of the same class end up very similar to eachother... and there are only 4 classes...). That said, I enjoyed saving the world from the evil UFOs, and I'm sure I'll save it again sometime...

I have played a *lot* of XCOM including the amazing but all too aptly named Long War mod. I think the choices are genuinely OK, though you need to optimise it a lot more for Impossible difficulty and with the squad size limits the trouble is that you end up bringing the same team to more or less everything. Also, once you know what you're doing the game's difficulty becomes kind of whether you want to be patient or a raving maniac but the first few runs were really great experiences.

William wrote:Currently my other go-to games are Papers Please and World of Goo. When I had lots of time, I also played Minecraft.

Both cool games. Especially Papers Please.

flap wrote:DwarfFortress

*shudders*

haaxtus wrote:Wesnoth seems to be a perfect fit. You should definitely give that one a try.

Good game.
Blovski

Postby Blovski on Tue Nov 17, 2015 9:08 pm

Lately I've been playing a lot of Heroes of the Storm despite my general loathing of all other MOBAs ever. It's got the fun sort of baby-competitive mode without the stupid hangover designs that make other MOBA games uncooperative. I've also been playing the newest AOE 2 HD expansion (African Kingdoms) and Pillars of Eternity. I had an attack of Crusader Kings 2 which I've just about shaken off. In general I like a lot of Paradox games, old-school CRPGs, city-builder and RTS games, though I can't handle Starcraft.

Like, I wish I was one of those people who liked short games with self-contained stories instead of time sinks but that's just not how I'm made.
Blovski

Postby Tinker on Wed Nov 18, 2015 12:21 am

Blovski wrote:I have played a *lot* of XCOM including the amazing but all too aptly named Long War mod. I think the choices are genuinely OK, though you need to optimise it a lot more for Impossible difficulty and with the squad size limits the trouble is that you end up bringing the same team to more or less everything. Also, once you know what you're doing the game's difficulty becomes kind of whether you want to be patient or a raving maniac but the first few runs were really great experiences.

Ok, I'm not saying X-COM is bad, I think it's good! I'm playing it right now! :lol: It's just that...
Spoiler: show
What I'm saying is... Sure you can choose not to select Squadsight / Gunslinger for your Sniper. Or Lightning Reflexes / Double Shot for your Assault. Or Bulletstorm / Heat Ammo for your Heavy. etc. But there's very little point in doing so, because these perks (and several others) are just so useful for the squad, that not picking them really limits that soldier's usefulness. Like, with Support I always go full medic, I tried other builds but they just don't benefit the team enough to warrant inclusion over another Assault for example. I had these conclusions after my first playthru, and then went online to check some guides, and the majority of the guides are really about the same stuff - how for most picks you have one that is generally better, and another that is either outright worse, or just not worth it in the context of things. I haven't played on Impossible or Ironman yet (at all? :lol:), so maybe some things would change there... maybe not though... ;)
"Thinker", just without the "ache".
Tinker

Postby dislekcia on Wed Nov 18, 2015 3:03 am

The two games I play the most at the moment are Spelunky (the dailies, directly inspired ours) and 0h n0 on iOS. Spelunky is just straight up the best game ever made and 0h n0 is a great little time-sink when I'm on the move. I've got my 9x9 clear record down to 41s ;)

FTL is my go to "long plane trip" iPad game of choice. My girlfried and I play a lot of LoL together and I'm sorta trying to get back into Starcraft 2.

If anyone's keen on smart turn-based combat stuff, take a look at Hoplite (I think that's got a PC port now as well). I got massively hooked on Dream Quest a while back as well.
dislekcia

Postby TheSchachter on Wed Nov 18, 2015 5:03 am

I cycle through little obsessions at varying paces, though without a doubt Desktop Dungeons is the obsession that stuck with me the longest, and the one that comes back to me the most often But aside from that, here's way too many thoughts on games I like:

(Warning: I get way too excited when I start talking about things I love)

Binding of Isaac
Currently the game that's on my mind 90% of the day right now, ever since I saw a few videos of the latest expansion (had played a fair amount of the original game some years ago). More action-based so it doesn't fit your criteria so well, but I find it so incredibly compelling... it's strange for me, since I normally tend to shy away from anything that deliberately tries to gross-out, but the whole thing is very well made, and the tone and theme of the game are a perfect fit for its incredible variety of items and situations. Not so much a perfectly constructed machine (as DD) as an ever-mutating, dishapen, partially rotten "thing" of a package that I can't stop poking at because it never stops evolving into a more fascinating and challenging game.

Crypt of the Necrodancer
Really cool rhythm-game spin on the Roguelike formula. I got sidetracked from this one before I was able to fully get back into it once it released officially, but it's an incredibly satisfying game to learn and I want to give it more time eventually. Maybe it especially reaches out to me as a musician, but there's nothing that feels quite like it.

Don't Starve
It's a bit strange in that I find it a bit harder to pin down why exactly it compelled me to play it for 200+ hours, but I can definitely say that the fantastic presentation and the explore-and-learn experience that draws me to roguelikes in general really work well together here. The thing I find the coolest about this game, and probably the reason I enjoy playing it so much, is that it seems like as I got better and played it more, the game experience didn't just become more focused and ; it's like the entire genre of the game changed! From starting out as a game that practically feels like survival horror, where I don't want to touch or get near anything because "oh god what if it kills me", it became a harsh survival game where I kept trying to push further into discovering items, inventions and resources that could help me stay alive longer, and as I got good at that, the game started feeling like more of a strategic time-management affair, with some base-building and combat and free-form explorative gameplay interrupted by sudden catastrophic events that test your ability to prepare and adapt (and survive!). Unfortunately, this is a game for which you do need to put in a good amount of time, since the experience plays out over many hours and playing it just a bit or for short bursts isn't as rewarding.

Hand of Fate
A really, really cool and unique roguelike-like card-based game that involves the dungeon (and its loot pool) built out of decks of cards that you can try to stack in your favor for each challenge the game throws at you, and that keeps rewarding you with new cards (dungeon rooms and possible rewards for future runs) whenever you complete a "room" in certain ways. I love the way the new encounter cards form storylines of their own, and get scattered across your dungeon to create a random "choose-your-own-adventure" kind of storyline. The combat is the weakest part of the game; it's an Arkham-style action combat system, fairly simple stuff... but the way in which everything you do oustide of it changes what challenges you face in it is pretty neat, even though it feels it should do that *more* (or have some other type of combat more in line with the rest of the game? I dunno, it still works decently well). The presentation of the game as a whole, however, is absolutely incredible. Another game I want to get back to eventually, there's less raw "content" in it than other games mentioned above but it's still a very compelling experience.

Hearhstone
I think there's something about card games that clicks with me... anyway, as a kid I always wanted to play the Pokemon and Magic CCGs, but I had neither the other players (all everyone seemed to want to do was collect the cards...) nor the money to do so. Well, Hearthstone basically gets rid of 1.5 of those two issues (the last .5 is attenuated by the fact that I can afford to treat myself to a few packs once in a while). Very fun, quick to play and accessible to players who, like me, have no prior CCG experience. Presentation is also fantastic.

Sid Meier's Civilization series
Civilization IV is basically the game that ripped me away from my consoles when, after installing steam because I needed it to play the disc-based copy of Portal my friend lent to me, I chanced upon a sale for Civilization IV Complete for 7.50... and proceeded to drown in it for 350 hours or so. The historical theme hooked me in enough that I was driven to learn the complex (to me at the time) strategy game underneath it, and I just couldn't stop because there was always more to learn about it, more nuance, more possibilities and playstyles. This game got me into PC gaming and into 4x strategy games almost singlehandedly. Civilization V is arguably a lesser strategy game than IV in terms of depth, but I think I enjoy it more nonetheless. It really needs its expansions to be good, though.

The Harvest Moon series
Harvest Moon 64 is one of my childhood's "BEST GAME EVAR". I made my mother rent it so many times that she got annoyed and just bought it for me. Possibly the only game I've played as many hours as Desktop Dungeons. I don't know why I latched onto it immediately, I just remember reading about it in Nintendo Power around 8 years old and being really curious that this could even be a game (you tend to a farm and get married?). There's something about the slow-but-steady progression as you develop your run down farm and meet the surrounding village, learning about them and occasionally seeing little events happen between the characters... It's changed in a number of ways since, and the Rune Factory series in particular makes the different systems of the game feed into each other in a really engaging way. This is definitely one of those smaller-budget series where even the best games tend to have some kind of weird flaw sticking out, though (both in terms of presentation and gameplay, to varying degrees).

Other games that I also really like but that I no longer have the energy to write essays about anymore and may be less relevant to the topic include:

-Fire Emblem Awakening: Really enjoyable strategy game with gameplay neatly leading in and out of the stories your characters develop between one another. Unfortunately lost it when I lost my 3DS :(

-League of Legends: I like this game a lot... but I don't enjoy playing it much. I used to play it a lot more with my ex back when we lived together, but otherwise, the friends I could play it with are far better than I am and I don't enjoy getting yelled at (by them or by strangers :P)

-Mentioning Hoplite as well because dislekcia brought it up. Easily the best game on my phone.

-Hyrule Warriors: I didn't "get" Dynasty Warriors until they put a Zelda-themed coat of paint on it. Way more silly and mindless than the other stuff I play, but this is exactly the kind of mindless-yet-still-engaging game I like.

-Smash Bros.: I played Melee for years casually, and for a while I was getting decently skilled at a competitive level on Smash 4 thanks to meeting a friend at work who had tournament experienced and wiped the floor with me (at my request) until I started getting better. Don't see him anymore, though, so I haven't had much opportunity to play with other humans (my connection isn't quite reliable enough to have a good time online). Still love it though.

There's more... but I'm starting to fall asleep, and I've spent too much time writing this already :P
Come watch my Desktop Dungeons Videos!
http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCthxFjzttU83tslTUnoFhug
TheSchachter

Postby Darvin on Wed Nov 18, 2015 6:32 am

-Smash Bros.

Classic series. Jigglypuff main since smash 64 here 8-)
Darvin

Postby lordatog on Wed Nov 18, 2015 9:16 am

It's not at all random and has little to do with DD, but if you're looking for a mind-bending pure puzzle game, they don't get better than Deadly Rooms of Death (DROD for short). Aside from that, I'm currently going through the new Binding of Isaac expansion and the new Tomb Raider game, as well as playing quite a bit of Magic: the Gathering with my friends.
lordatog

Postby Nurator on Wed Nov 18, 2015 11:53 am

I am wondering, why no one mentioned the gem SpaceChem yet! Its as awesome as a puzzle game can get! But maybe thats only the mathematician in me speaking... anyone of you played it before?
Nurator

PreviousNext

Return to Desktop Dungeons