What Else Do You Play?

All things Desktop Dungeons

Re: What Else Do You Play?

Postby dislekcia on Wed Oct 19, 2016 2:23 pm

sitnaltax wrote:I stopped playing Dream Quest just long enough to stop by and recommend Dream Quest to everyone here. Imagine Desktop Dungeons, but you fight the monsters by building a deck of cards to use against them. The skills and treasures you get all go into your deck as cards, which grows over the course of the game. It's a _little_ longer than Desktop Dungeons (a won game takes about as long as a VGT run) and it very much scratches the same itch.

I dunno if I spoke about this here before, but we were in contact with the guy that made Dream Quest years ago trying to see if he wanted to rebuild it with us to put it on Steam. Sadly the DD mobile port took way longer than we thought and things kinda stalled. I still think it would have been a perfect fit for both of our studios.

And yes, I've played the crap out of Dream Quest. Gone infinite yet on velociraptor diff? (You kinda have to go infinite to beat the final final boss)
dislekcia

Postby sitnaltax on Wed Oct 19, 2016 11:52 pm

dislekcia wrote:
sitnaltax wrote:I stopped playing Dream Quest just long enough to stop by and recommend Dream Quest to everyone here. Imagine Desktop Dungeons, but you fight the monsters by building a deck of cards to use against them. The skills and treasures you get all go into your deck as cards, which grows over the course of the game. It's a _little_ longer than Desktop Dungeons (a won game takes about as long as a VGT run) and it very much scratches the same itch.

I dunno if I spoke about this here before, but we were in contact with the guy that made Dream Quest years ago trying to see if he wanted to rebuild it with us to put it on Steam. Sadly the DD mobile port took way longer than we thought and things kinda stalled. I still think it would have been a perfect fit for both of our studios.

And yes, I've played the crap out of Dream Quest. Gone infinite yet on velociraptor diff? (You kinda have to go infinite to beat the final final boss)

Oh man, it's a shame that partnership didn't work out. That would have been great on all fronts.

I haven't ever gone infinite (by which you mean: getting a deck that can reliably get 30 mana and play a Storm for the bonus turn every turn, right?) but I've had electricity-focused wizard types clear level 3 several times (I think electricity is the best Wizard archetype) and some could have gone infinite if I'd found a Jasra's Emerald. Interestingly, I beat the LotD with this mediocre-looking deck:

Assuming you don't think the Bard class is cheating. Assembling a coherent collection of cards is impossible, but with songs + Preparation I had:

[*] When you play an Action, draw 2 cards
[*] At the beginning of your turn, add 2 temporary Fireballs to your hand (which I ended up giving as gifts after I was out of junk)
[*] Start the combat with 4 random Equipment cards in play

And the Miserly Minuet meant that all of the dungeon bosses were providing triple gold. Absorb Vis + Shrink + a bunch of other stuff eventually did the trick.
sitnaltax

Postby dislekcia on Fri Oct 21, 2016 10:54 am

Wow, that's a pretty hardcore deck - especially the Vis. I really like the fireballs as gifts, I think the biggest issue for LotD for me is never really being sure which particular flavor I'm going to get, so it's hard to try and plan around that final battle.

And yeah, infinite tends to rely on Storm, but there are other ways too. I think my fav is complete deck lockdown by banishing/stealing everything an enemy has. This tends not to be so great against LotD tho...
dislekcia

Postby sitnaltax on Sat Oct 22, 2016 3:42 am

In case you weren't aware, the ramblings when you start a level each give a clue to the LotD's powers. For example, "When he dances, thoughts wither and die" refers to the power that degrades your cards.

That said, I try to think of the L3 boss as the "real" end of the game; there are lots of fun-to-build-and-play archetypes, including basically anything defensive, that the LotD just totally shuts down.

Also, my biggest frustration with DQ is that you basically live or die based on the monster mix in L2 and L3. If too many monsters spawn at too high level, you just hit a wall. Making the monster mix consistently fair is something that DD got much better.
sitnaltax

Postby zayyeh on Mon Oct 31, 2016 12:45 pm

dislekcia wrote:I dunno if I spoke about this here before, but we were in contact with the guy that made Dream Quest years ago trying to see if he wanted to rebuild it with us to put it on Steam. Sadly the DD mobile port took way longer than we thought and things kinda stalled. I still think it would have been a perfect fit for both of our studios.

Are you still in contact with that guy? Do you think he might release version with new graphics/UI?
We made an expansion and it is awesome. Download over at ddmod.weebly.com.
zayyeh

Postby dislekcia on Thu Nov 17, 2016 8:41 pm

zayyeh wrote:Are you still in contact with that guy? Do you think he might release version with new graphics/UI?

We've dropped out of contact since realising we weren't going to be able to produce that new version. I have no idea if he'd have any plans to update the game, I suspect he's pretty busy with whatever he's doing now.
dislekcia

Postby sitnaltax on Fri Nov 18, 2016 1:17 am

Unfortunately for fans of Dream Quest, he's now working on a somewhat higher budget online card game... Hearthstone.

http://hearthstone.gamepedia.com/Peter_Whalen
sitnaltax

Postby dislekcia on Mon Nov 28, 2016 12:48 am

sitnaltax wrote:Unfortunately for fans of Dream Quest, he's now working on a somewhat higher budget online card game... Hearthstone.

http://hearthstone.gamepedia.com/Peter_Whalen

Yup! That was super awesome, amazing way to break into a job :)
dislekcia

Postby dislekcia on Tue Dec 13, 2016 8:42 pm

Dream Quest just came out on Steam, for those of you made curious by my undying affection for the game: http://store.steampowered.com/app/557410
dislekcia

Postby zayyeh on Wed Dec 14, 2016 8:09 am

I know he made game for himself, and then decided to release it, but man, is it really costs that much to get some nice graphics and slightly improve design?.. I just don't get it..
We made an expansion and it is awesome. Download over at ddmod.weebly.com.
zayyeh

PreviousNext

Return to Desktop Dungeons