What Else Do You Play?

All things Desktop Dungeons

Re: What Else Do You Play?

Postby Zazzlegut on Wed Nov 18, 2015 12:18 pm

Regarding games that you go back to again and again...when I'm on boring conference calls, which happens a lot, I still load Plants Versus Zombies just to play the Vase Breaker puzzle game. My best yet is getting through 54 levels. I can't imagine being able to get much higher than that.
Zazzlegut

Postby Blovski on Wed Nov 18, 2015 1:09 pm

Tinker wrote:
Blovski wrote:I have played a *lot* of XCOM including the amazing but all too aptly named Long War mod. I think the choices are genuinely OK, though you need to optimise it a lot more for Impossible difficulty and with the squad size limits the trouble is that you end up bringing the same team to more or less everything. Also, once you know what you're doing the game's difficulty becomes kind of whether you want to be patient or a raving maniac but the first few runs were really great experiences.

Ok, I'm not saying X-COM is bad, I think it's good! I'm playing it right now! :lol: It's just that...
Spoiler: show
What I'm saying is... Sure you can choose not to select Squadsight / Gunslinger for your Sniper. Or Lightning Reflexes / Double Shot for your Assault. Or Bulletstorm / Heat Ammo for your Heavy. etc. But there's very little point in doing so, because these perks (and several others) are just so useful for the squad, that not picking them really limits that soldier's usefulness. Like, with Support I always go full medic, I tried other builds but they just don't benefit the team enough to warrant inclusion over another Assault for example. I had these conclusions after my first playthru, and then went online to check some guides, and the majority of the guides are really about the same stuff - how for most picks you have one that is generally better, and another that is either outright worse, or just not worth it in the context of things. I haven't played on Impossible or Ironman yet (at all? :lol:), so maybe some things would change there... maybe not though... ;)

I more or less only play Ironman and name all my soldiers after politicians I don't like to soften the blow of any unfortunate misjudgments. I've played enough Impossible Ironman to reckon I could win it if I played super-patiently all the time but that's not terribly fun for me. The Long War mod is amazing but I just can't be bothered to spend 200 hours on a campaign.

Spoiler: show
I kinda agree - a lot of the other builds are niche and much better in the late-game when the difficulty curve has kind of fallen off. Enemy Within improved a lot of the choices, though it added a couple of basically broken things for the late-game. I really like Snapshot because it's easier to tell when you can hit things and you're sniper's a bit safer and going to do better with In The Zone, though Squadsight is just a bit broken. The alternative to Lightning Reflexes was improved a lot in EW. I've never really felt Medic Supports were very useful unless I'm playing with Red Fog on and even then they're more of a Battleship/crazy long missions thing. Bullet Swarm is generally objectively better, though occasionally having that option to push your sniper's Disabling Shot to 100% is useful. My beef with the base game is that it didn't really ever put enough pressure on to make you get a proper varied/deep roster and the difficulty drops off super-hard in the mid-game once you know what you're doing regardless of difficulty.
Blovski

Postby Tinker on Wed Nov 18, 2015 1:32 pm

dislekcia wrote:Spelunky is just straight up the best game ever made

That statement is incorrect... The best game ever made is Desktop Dungeons. If you disagree with this, you are objectively wrong! :lol: (C'mon, this is the Desktop Dungeons forum, what would you expect? ;) ).

Blovski wrote:I more or less only play Ironman and name all my soldiers after politicians I don't like to soften the blow of any unfortunate misjudgments.

Now that's clever! :lol: You're happy if you win, but I can also imagine a certain degree of... shall I say satisfaction? when someone you hate bites the dust. (I'll not write any names, but oh I have a couple of ideas... :P )
"Thinker", just without the "ache".
Tinker

Postby Blovski on Wed Nov 18, 2015 2:22 pm

I think the technical term is schadenfreude :lol:
Blovski

Postby Gakato on Wed Nov 18, 2015 6:06 pm

Nurator wrote:I am wondering, why no one mentioned the gem SpaceChem yet! Its as awesome as a puzzle game can get! But maybe thats only the mathematician in me speaking... anyone of you played it before?

Yes indeed an awesome game, but I consider it more a programming game or whatever and not as much a puzzle game. It is more about dividing problems in several smaller problems and combining them together.
Actually there was someone who created a simple "programming language" within spacechem, pretty impressive.
So yeah SpaceChem is an awesome game when you are into logic games or programming!
Gakato

Postby flap on Wed Nov 18, 2015 10:29 pm

lordatog wrote:It's not at all random and has little to do with DD, but if you're looking for a mind-bending pure puzzle game, they don't get better than Deadly Rooms of Death (DROD for short). Aside from that, I'm currently going through the new Binding of Isaac expansion and the new Tomb Raider game, as well as playing quite a bit of Magic: the Gathering with my friends.

Ahah, DROD, excellent choice !
flap

Postby dislekcia on Sun Nov 22, 2015 12:27 am

Darvin wrote:
-Smash Bros.

Classic series. Jigglypuff main since smash 64 here 8-)

Kirby 4 lyfe.

Nurator wrote:I am wondering, why no one mentioned the gem SpaceChem yet! Its as awesome as a puzzle game can get! But maybe thats only the mathematician in me speaking... anyone of you played it before?

Spacechem is definitely great. I don't know many other people that have finished the whole thing. I'm keen on the genre of "programming" games, Manufactoria still snares me for hours and I'm keen to try out Human Resource Machine. Anyone into Infinifactory and Zach's assembler-like thing whose name I forget right now? I haven't had the time...

Can't recommend Snakebird enough either. It's a great little puzzle game that keeps the frustration/elation coming in equal measures. Goddamn rainbow levels.

Also, Dream Quest. Did anyone take a look?
dislekcia

Postby TheSchachter on Sun Nov 22, 2015 3:59 am

dislekcia wrote:
Darvin wrote:
-Smash Bros.

Classic series. Jigglypuff main since smash 64 here 8-)

Kirby 4 lyfe.

Oh man, I've never been consistent since I find it so hard to just stick to one character, they're all so intereating... I guess the official breakdown of my "mains" in order of the games would be Ness, Marth, Sonic, and Rosalina and Luma, but just in the latest game I keep playing/trying to play as Robin, Luigi, Ike, Lucina, JIgglypuff, Sonic, Little Mac, Duck Hunt...

Oh, that's another one of those games that I got temporarily obsessed with! I love the kind of "programming logic" the game makes you work through, though I'm really not tidy so I kept running out of room to put stuff in the latter half of the game. Another one that I want to get back to playing later.

dislekcia wrote:Also, Dream Quest. Did anyone take a look?

I originally thought it was only on iOS, but I just found out you can get it on PC. It sounds like something I would adore, so I'm just buying it right now :)
Come watch my Desktop Dungeons Videos!
http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCthxFjzttU83tslTUnoFhug
TheSchachter

Postby Nurator on Sun Nov 22, 2015 9:20 am

I didnt finish Space Chem, been stuck on the second(?) last world on the boss... I cant figure out how to shoot at the asteroids fast enough... and didnt want to look up the solution, thats cheating :D

I devoured Manufactoria and all these other gems :) Human Resource Machine looks intriguing! I have to try that one out.

I am still actively looking for a Puzzle City Builder. Something with the mechanics of SpaceChem, but with an overall increasing thing you have to optimally design and not single levels. I tried BigPharma, but didnt liked it... the puzzle part was too shallow. Does anyone know something like this?^^

Imagine a game, where you have houses with people, that need stuff. But when you produce stuff at a factory, the stuff does not get warped to the resource bar like always. Instead you have to build the logistic system behind with conveyor belts, traffic lights and so on (think SpaceChem) and guide the right resources to the right spot (maybe many work steps to the finished product before shipping it off). THATS a game I would INSTANTLY buy... but maybe I am alone with that^^
Nurator

Postby dislekcia on Sun Nov 22, 2015 1:48 pm

Nurator wrote:Imagine a game, where you have houses with people, that need stuff. But when you produce stuff at a factory, the stuff does not get warped to the resource bar like always. Instead you have to build the logistic system behind with conveyor belts, traffic lights and so on (think SpaceChem) and guide the right resources to the right spot (maybe many work steps to the finished product before shipping it off). THATS a game I would INSTANTLY buy... but maybe I am alone with that^^

Sounds a lot like Factorio. I'd also aim you at Leap Day for some sweet sweet co-op themed similar play, but it's closed down now :(
dislekcia

PreviousNext

Return to Desktop Dungeons