[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 120: preg_filter(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 120: preg_filter(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
QCF Design Community • View topic - Mahdrek's Noob question thread

Mahdrek's Noob question thread

All things Desktop Dungeons

Mahdrek's Noob question thread

Postby mahdrek on Mon Nov 23, 2015 6:43 am

Hi all. i just started this game the other week and am about to start tier 3 classes and had some questions.

1) DERP's : are they based on your progress in the game or are they the same for everyone ? if they r the same for everyone i avoid them till when ?
only downside of them is stats ?
sorry actually dont know anything about them as ive avoided them so far

2) is there any huge mistake that a new player can make that will gimp his progress ?
I'm thinking the game is open ended, meaning i can choose which dungeons or quests to do in any order as long as not too hard. i can choose what classes etc to unlock as there is no huge benefit to one before the other timing wise?

any tips in proper progression if im wrong in my above thoughts would be very welcomed :)

thank you
mahdrek

Re: Mahdrek's Noob question thread

Postby Sidestepper on Mon Nov 23, 2015 12:15 pm

1) DERPS are the same for everyone. They're just for fun.

2) Sort of. You can't get locked or anything, but there's a story event that causes the value of trophies to drop as you find more types of trophies. Near the end, the value crashes disastrously, and the only way to correct it is to complete a moderately difficult quest. By the time the market crashes, you should have gained enough player skill to defeat the special quest, but a few beginners have gotten in trouble with this. You can minimize the impact of this if you make an effort to unlock all of the dungeons. It's hard to describe the optimal approach without spoiling everything.
Sidestepper

Postby William on Mon Nov 23, 2015 12:20 pm

"Because Goatperson"
William

Postby Tinker on Mon Nov 23, 2015 1:10 pm

Hey, welcome to the forums! :)

DERP is pretty cool because of two things: first, you can try the same map as all other players, and exchange war stories about who did what and how; and second, it allows you to select pretty wild sets of preparations that you may not normally be able to pick. Like, prepare several altars for the same run, or use some unlockerable items, or just generally go with different preps belonging to the same building that you can normally never prepare together.

As for stats, I wouldn't hold back because of that. Only you can see your own winrate, and other players will only see how your streak or overall wins go. So if you play 100 games with a 50% winrate, your total wins will generally rank you above the player who played 20 games with 100% winrate; and as far as streaks go, it depends on number of consecutive wins, again for that it's best to start early and if your streak ends, just build a bigger one afterwards! :lol:
"Thinker", just without the "ache".
Tinker

Postby Blovski on Mon Nov 23, 2015 4:14 pm

Short answers are no and no. Dailies are same for everyone and while there are some slightly optimal paths for the main quest that involve not unlocking some stuff to have a better chance of getting other things, it won't hurt your progress at all.
Blovski

Postby flap on Mon Nov 23, 2015 8:33 pm

Second question : It depends wether you spend a lot on preparation or not. For example, until vicious dungeons, I went purist 99% of the time (I did not spend gold for preparation). So, as I did not rely on cash for victory, I did not not care of the order in which I was unlocking things. On the other hand, if you need to spend a lot of cash for preparation, then maybe there might a situation where you are slowed down.
flap

Postby mahdrek on Wed Nov 25, 2015 11:31 am

thank you everyone :)
nice to know this game has an active forum.
mahdrek

Postby mahdrek on Fri Dec 25, 2015 4:44 am

Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays guys :)

Love my Tier 3 classes except Bloodmage lol. just tried Paladin today and he seemed really strong :)

unlocked chemist but havent tried anything with the special classes yet.

basically just been doing bronze challenges then practicing the new classes as i unlock them but not the hard levels yet.

have a question about the backpack...how does it work ? meaning items i dont put in locker, do they just go away, can i use them during dungeon prep, are they the items that pop up during a dungeon ?

thank you :)
mahdrek

Postby Darvin on Fri Dec 25, 2015 5:04 am

Darvin

Postby Tinker on Fri Dec 25, 2015 1:44 pm

"Thinker", just without the "ache".
Tinker

Next

Return to Desktop Dungeons