[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 120: preg_filter(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 120: preg_filter(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
QCF Design Community • View topic - On the Prepping of Gods

On the Prepping of Gods

All things Desktop Dungeons

Re: On the Prepping of Gods

Postby Tinker on Fri Jan 15, 2016 3:20 pm

"Thinker", just without the "ache".
Tinker

Postby Zazzlegut on Fri Jan 15, 2016 5:51 pm

Zazzlegut

Postby Tinker on Fri Jan 15, 2016 7:28 pm

Tinker

Postby Lujo on Mon Jan 18, 2016 4:02 am

Yeah, you can't really have a battle royale when we're all doing our thing ^^

Sounds like a good joke, though - there's this map that has to be cleared to see who's the best and then Darvin would mop it up in a minute or two, and Tinker would take an hour but squeeze more points than you knew were there, Astral would go infinite, Sidestepper would do it with three different things on a single run and I'd run into a balance breaking bug, get it disputed by some wise guy and procede to burn a kindgom down with it...
I almost got pwned by Shifty Brickwork!
Lujo

Postby William on Mon Jan 18, 2016 6:06 am

"Because Goatperson"
William

Postby Darvin on Mon Jan 18, 2016 9:02 am

Darvin

Postby Zazzlegut on Mon Jan 18, 2016 11:17 am

Okay...so the string has morphed, but I do find all of this pretty interesting. First for the creativity, second for the deep game knowledge that it is based on and third...why does there always have to be a third...no third! :-)

I guess my original thinking wasn't along the lines expressed so far. IF there was some kind of direct comparison done between players, I can only see it being relevant in two cases, and one will never happen because it involves new features being added to DD so I'll skip that one.

That leaves a competition where players all have the same exact dungeons to run with the same classes under the same prep conditions and no spoiler usage is allowed. In the simplest case it could be all of the vicious level dungeons done as purist with the same shops and god availability for all players.

A more interesting scenario would be a series of ten dungeons from easy through vicious that had inherent challenges and traps built into their layout....kind of like the level 8 troll in Berserker Camp today blocking the only crossing. He was no challenge if you had Weytwut, but if you didn't it could mean an early end to your run.

Final champion would be based purely on number of wins. XP, piety, time to win would have not factor in the comparison.

I realize everyone isn't into this sort of thing. I'm sure a lot of DD players do it for the self-challenge and don't want a head to head ranking. That's cool. This all hypothetical musing on my part. I've always loved watching competitors with totally different styles go up against each other. Probably a carryover from my own competition days in martial arts.

But with this kind of "tournament" all players could have a go and compare their results with the DD gods.
Zazzlegut

Postby Tinker on Mon Jan 18, 2016 2:24 pm

Tinker

Postby Zazzlegut on Mon Jan 18, 2016 3:48 pm

Yeah, I thought about that....especially the fatal goat direction decisions. That's why I like the idea of "set out" dungeons. Not purely random. If it was a goat run, the designer would remove potentially fatal decision points like that.

Then it would just be a daily where everyone had to take all the same preps (or none) and face the same challenges on equal footing.
Zazzlegut

Postby Lujo on Mon Jan 18, 2016 5:04 pm

That Binlor on Labyrinth thing is something worth noting - his prep penalty works wonders for making your life miserable on a "maze" map if you intend to use knockback. That's where it counts the most (which makes sense as I believe it was introduced along with the pissorf-instead-of-endiswall inital glyph swap to stop people from using him as a titan guitar). It sometimes also makes farming piety with pissorf a bit of a feat.
I almost got pwned by Shifty Brickwork!
Lujo

PreviousNext

Return to Desktop Dungeons