[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 120: preg_filter(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 120: preg_filter(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
QCF Design Community • View topic - Streakbuilding Guide for the DERPs

Streakbuilding Guide for the DERPs

All things Desktop Dungeons

Re: Streakbuilding Guide for the DERPs

Postby Tinker on Thu Jan 14, 2016 8:32 pm

One more thing came to mind with respect to practice in general, is to take built-in opportunities for playing "outside of comfort zone". Like:
* always taking PQI even if it seems unwinnable
* take flaming dungeon (or just next run you want) and limit yourself to 4 preps (witch + bet on boss + up to 2 other of your choice).
* take "extra altar" instead of actually picking your altar (really nice purist mood)
* play lots of purist... :)

Which is not easy. I'd much rather just go with a familiar Mystera Gnome/Elf, and just raze the place like usual...
"Thinker", just without the "ache".
Tinker

Postby Darvin on Thu Jan 14, 2016 9:00 pm

Darvin

Postby Darvin on Fri Jan 15, 2016 4:25 am

Well, seeing as it's topical, here's the full listing of my 11 losses in the dailies thus far.

1) Half-Dragon in Magma Mines - this was one of the earliest dailies before the enhanced edition officially released. In this dungeon, we had the half-dragon and magic-immune boss happened to be nestled against the edge of the board with a magma tile below him. This meant that there was no way to deliver physical damage without moving him. There are a couple ways around this (we've now established that WHUPAZ can be used to deliver the killing blow in this case, allowing us to reliably deal with the situation if it comes up again using the generous daily apothecary) but at the time it basically came down to "those who prepped Taurog could move him due to his cowardly trait, those who didn't lost"
2) Monk in Creeplight Ruins - just a straight-up misclick at 1st level, clicking one too many times and dying.
3) Goatperson in Slime Pit - I got greedy and prepped Binlor to access the hidden subdungeon, but unfavorable deity shifts turned this into an Albatross that cost me the run. I ended up being just one hit short of killing the boss.
4) Goatperson in Northern Desert - another flat-out misclick near the beginning of the dungeon, hitting a health potion instead of a mana potion while worshiping Dracul at 1st level and dooming myself to death by starvation since I was gimped. This was the end of my longest streak previous to my current one.
5) Elf Tinker in Rock Garden - misclicked and my WEYTWUT glyph didn't activate, impaling myself on a monster rather than teleporting it away.
6) Halfling Rogue in Shifting Passages - after using a reflex potion, Evolvia re-randomized his abilities between when I attacked him and when he retaliated, gaining death gaze 100% and killing me in spite of a safe combat prediction. This was deemed a bug and ultimately fixed in a patch.
7) Vampire in Cursed Oasis - just a series of embarrassingly bad plays on my part in an already-difficult scenario. I didn't want to talk back then, and I still don't -_-
8) Half-Dragon in Labyrinth - I only discovered the second boss - Super Meat Man - with a few tiles remaining in the dungeon. With his back to the corner I couldn't use knockback to damage him, and simply didn't have enough resources to get through that fat.
9) Goatperson in Rock Garden - this is the infamous run that had only a handful of winners, all of which used spoilers to avoid level 1 starvation. I myself was screwed by an untimely conversion to Earthmother and blocked by a plant, forcing me to take corrosion and preventing me from beating monsters I needed to beat.
10) Orc Crusader in Slime Pits - misclicked as I was using martyr wraps to build up corrosion on super meat man and died.
11) Goatperson in Creeplight Ruins - explored in the wrong directions and died. Classic level 1 starvation that everyone fears when going into a goatperson run.

So 2 "strange game mechanic" losses, 4 primarily due to misclicks, 3 "ran out of resources" scenarios, and 2 that can only be blamed on the Goatperson.
Darvin

Postby Vemb on Fri Jan 15, 2016 4:36 am

Personally when I'm normally playing (well, not getting Warmonger badge) I pretty much always pick "extra altar" preparation mainly because it is more fun.

That actually had the effect that I used to think that JJ prep penalty was horrible, with dailies I have prepped JJ so many times that now I usually don't even care about it. Sometimes it feels like luxury to play with full inventory.
Vemb

Postby William on Fri Jan 15, 2016 6:44 am

"Because Goatperson"
William

Postby Darvin on Fri Jan 15, 2016 7:39 am

Darvin

Postby Zazzlegut on Fri Jan 15, 2016 11:39 am

So, just curious....do you folks keep logs of your gameplay?

I'm more impressed by Darvin's remembering his 11 losses with details from more than a year ago than I am by his awesome wins. :-)
Zazzlegut

Postby Tinker on Fri Jan 15, 2016 3:24 pm

"Thinker", just without the "ache".
Tinker

Postby Zazzlegut on Fri Jan 15, 2016 5:48 pm

Zazzlegut

Postby Darvin on Fri Jan 15, 2016 5:56 pm

Unless Tinker missed a day somewhere she's had three losses; there have been 312 dailies so far and Tinker has won 309.

And if you're going by my win count, I'd have to point that I have missed one daily. The very first one, as it should happen.
Darvin

PreviousNext

Return to Desktop Dungeons