[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 120: preg_filter(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 120: preg_filter(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
QCF Design Community • View topic - Tinker's Guide to Power-Leveling

Tinker's Guide to Power-Leveling

All things Desktop Dungeons

Re: Tinker's Guide to Power-Leveling

Postby Tinker on Mon Sep 19, 2016 6:46 am

I played around a bit with Zayyeh's Desktop Dungeons XP Calculator to research IMAWAL a bit. I might add more cases if they come up.

Case 1: IMAWAL + Glenrick (no other modifiers like plants/slow/Guitar/Learning; 2 bosses)
== Leveling ==
L1: 6* (-> L4 @12/30]; L4: 7* [-> L5 @14/25]; L5: 9* [-> L6 @ 23/30]; 10* [-> L7 @ 29/35]; 10* [-> L8 @ 21/40]; L9* [37/40]
== Mop-up ==
Stone remaining 4 L1s and 3 L2s to boost the XP from the remaining 7 L6+ kills. The rest of the L2-L5 monsters go down straight.
This gets you 310 XP.
"Thinker", just without the "ache".
Tinker

Postby choongmyoung on Mon Sep 19, 2016 7:04 am

Wait, in that case, starting with a non-IMAWAL L2 kill will bring you more XP I guess. It's a little bit better to squeeze 4 XP from a L2 mob rather than IMAWAL it to get 50% bonus with L6~7 kill.
choongmyoung

Postby Tinker on Mon Sep 19, 2016 8:44 pm

"Thinker", just without the "ache".
Tinker

Postby AvovA17 on Fri Feb 22, 2019 5:03 am

Interesting. I thought doing a L4 kill as L1 would be unrealistic (I never tried),
but even on Grimm's grotto it is totally doable:
https://steamuserimages-a.akamaihd.net/ ... 1B942C599/

In fact, I wasted all blackspace around L4 or L5, but I still won easily in the end. I even did not use B2P, I converted it off the ground.

Obviously, this chain of kills cannot be done every time you play, but under the right circumstances it is doable even on 140-150% difficulty maps.
AvovA17

Postby shade_of_ox on Fri Feb 22, 2019 5:06 am

Yeah, with Warlord it's easy. There are plenty of classes that can do it, though.
shade_of_ox

Postby AvovA17 on Fri Feb 22, 2019 9:45 am

Oh, I did it with several classes today, like Berserker and Wizard, for example, without using CYDSTEPP. It is just the screenshot happen to have a warlord. Gods are more important than DP in achieving this.

You need something like EM, JJ, or Binlor(MA)->GG to get a lot of piety and boost your HP and attack at L1.
Otherwise, if gods are something like PM, TT, MA, Dracul, Taurog, I doubt you can realistically get a L4 kill without some retarded technique like Martyr Wraps + tons of CYDSTEPPs. It can be done by abusing magic resources, but I don't see it happening on every hard run.

This can be done in general runs. I do not see myself using this technique in DERPs, though. It feels risky.
You over-explore to get heaps of piety and boost your stats as L1, but you risk not having enough blackspace later on to win the map. Old and tired L+1 or L+2 kills (whatever you see first) are easier and safer.
AvovA17

Postby zayyeh on Fri Feb 22, 2019 2:16 pm

The real question is: given number of enemies, their levels , formula for gaining XP, and player HP thresholds, how to calculate "ideal" scenario in terms of XP gained.

Anyone?
We made an expansion and it is awesome. Download over at ddmod.weebly.com.
zayyeh

Postby shade_of_ox on Fri Feb 22, 2019 5:55 pm

Didn't actually do the math, but since level 1 boss kills have been proven to be possible, I would say the best options are to kill the enemies starting with the bosses in descending order, with both GG for Humility and TT for Learning (probably prepping Fabulous Treasure).
shade_of_ox

Postby AvovA17 on Fri Feb 22, 2019 6:55 pm

The "real" question that zayyeh is asking is not very real, it is more theoretical,
because the answer very possibly is gonna be something like "get 4-5-6 levels of learning, do a double boss kill at L1, take humility, double kill L9s", so not really realistic in a typical run even if you do have TT.

What is more interesting to me is this:
given the game state, and given reasonable restrictions on the strategy (only allowed +N level kills, have/dont have slow/IMAWAL/etc, disallow double kills, etc), find the optimal kill chain to max XP.
This (and the original zayyeh's question) should be doable with an exhaustive computer search, it is not that hard. It is just a pain to implement all the possibilities. Goblins (and goblin transmuters), beads, slow/wicked guitar, etc.

But even this question is not that interesting, because killing bosses is typically way easier via dings. It is only interesting to ppl who compete on top XP in the dailies or as a theoretical exercise. Personally I do not see myself doing a double boss kill on the Labyrinth any time soon :)
AvovA17

Postby srid on Sat Feb 23, 2019 7:28 am

We made an expansion and it is awesome. Really, you should check it out, especially if you're looking for some extra challenge.

Download over at ddmod.weebly.com!
srid

PreviousNext

Return to Desktop Dungeons