[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 120: preg_filter(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
QCF Design Community • View topic - In regards to version control and status icons

In regards to version control and status icons

All things Desktop Dungeons

In regards to version control and status icons

Postby Red_Soul on Tue Feb 16, 2016 2:48 pm

I'm not sure if this is the right place to post this, but I'll go ahead and do it anyway. If needed be, moderators may move it to a more appropriate section.

What I'd like to suggest is that the current version number of a DD installation is shown at the splash screen, maybe at the bottom right or something like that, just to ensure the player is running the latest version.

I realize this may seem redundant to some (likely those playing on Steam) but I own the GOG version, myself (yes, I'm aware one could check for updates using their galaxy client and whatnot, which I do, but I wanted to throw this idea out there anyway).

If adopted, the message could also detect whether goatsperson is present or not.

And since we are talking UI (well, I am, at least haha)... there is something I've had in my mind for quite some time regarding the left side of the play window: it is rather empty. If it were me, I'd list the status changes and other player effects on the left side instead of piling icons on top of the character portrait that require mouseovers to read.

I realize DD isn't a game about rushing and one should take the time to read the valuable info the UI presents at all times, but yeah, just an idea, don't hate me, devs, because I love the game you guys made (been playing since the alpha).

Edit: The leftover screen space is probably due to the resolution changes I made to my game window via registry, so feel free to ignore that part, devs.
Red_Soul

Re: In regards to version control and status icons

Postby dislekcia on Mon Feb 29, 2016 10:38 pm

Ah, I was going to say that the game uses all the space it has available that isn't reserved for resolution management ;)

Not sure what you mean about updates, the GoG version isn't allowed to "phone home" to see if there's an update like the game does if you get it from elsewhere, that's a GoG stipulation. That's why there's a Check for Updates button that will do the "phoning" for you, to let you know if you should download a new client or not.
dislekcia

Postby Red_Soul on Tue Mar 01, 2016 2:05 am

Ah, really? so the in client update checker isn't tied to cloud synching to work? that is to say, the client version checks against whatever GOG has?

I still think a version number footnote would be a good thing; thanks for answering, [b]dislekcia[b].
Red_Soul

Postby dislekcia on Wed Mar 09, 2016 11:56 pm

dislekcia

Return to Desktop Dungeons