[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 390: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 120: preg_filter(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 120: preg_filter(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
QCF Design Community • View topic - Question about late game dungeon progression

Question about late game dungeon progression

All things Desktop Dungeons

Question about late game dungeon progression

Postby Red_Soul on Wed Feb 17, 2016 6:29 pm

Currently I am missing two trophies to be able to tackle Gaan-talet (not vicious), but I've been pouring my kingdom resources into unlocking vampire, my favorite monster class of all five (if you count goatsperson, anyhow).

Thing is, the market crash made pursuing this very difficult (my initial plan was tackling GT with vampire so I could more or less breeze through). I have one victory in Vicious Steel with Beserker and I've watched videos of several players beating VS with other classes (most recently DarkDungeoneer1020's run with halfling priest, thanks!

So I was wondering what the veterans think about this, if I should just go ahead and nail Horatio to normalize my rewards or if it is a feasible plan to just rush vampire.

Edit: I have every class item (silver challenge rewards, short of the vampiric blade. Yes, I know it is pretty bad form considering blood mage is my favorite caster, but alas).
Red_Soul

Re: Question about late game dungeon progression

Postby DarkDungeoneer1020 on Wed Feb 17, 2016 6:37 pm

Notice: I'm by no means a veteran just relaying my path through things

I'll relay the way i did it but its up to you if you follow it or not (I'd recommend normalizing the market first even if you don't follow the rest of my path)

Gaan-Telet > Dragon Isles X3 (Assassin, Berserker Crusader) > Vicious Steel x3 (Berserker, Priest, Half-Dragon)
Desktop Dungeons D.E.R.P ID: Dungeoneer1020
Current Favorite Desktop Dungeons Race/Class Combos: Gnome Sorcerer, Gnome Tinker
Favorite God: TT
My Desktop Dungeons Videos: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCMvtEv ... IAVrc1492g
AKA:
Dark
Bad at DD
DarkDungeoneer1020

Postby Red_Soul on Wed Feb 17, 2016 6:57 pm

Thanks for your input, DarkDungeoneer1020!
Your progression makes a lot of sense, actually, since Dragon Isle rewards the dragon Shield, a staple of the resist stacking strat.
Red_Soul

Postby Darvin on Wed Feb 17, 2016 7:20 pm

Darvin

Postby Red_Soul on Wed Feb 17, 2016 9:01 pm

Red_Soul

Postby Tinker on Wed Feb 17, 2016 10:36 pm

You don't really need the Vampire to beat Gaan-Telet; I consider the Rogue or Crusader very good picks, though Wizard is also at least an honorable mentions. Come to think of it, in my first kingdom I did it first with an Assassin (power-leveling in the courtyard, and then assassinating all T1-T2 monsters, essentially only having to fight the denizens of T3 and of course H himself) - this might be too contrived, though... ;)

Anyway, good luck with the remaining trophies, if you get stuck, just post up and you'll get lots of good advice! :)

Also, if you don't use it yet, take a look at the Wiki, it has also some dungeon-specific tips, might at least give you some ideas... ;)
"Thinker", just without the "ache".
Tinker

Postby Red_Soul on Wed Feb 17, 2016 10:58 pm

Thanks, Tinker! yes, I read the wiki often for advice and a general game plan. I'm by no means a pro, but I'm at least a little proud of having unlocked most of the stuff in the game by myself, and what I'm lacking are Vicious reward items like the Dragon Shield, Namtar's Ward and so on. Despite not having participated in the beta, I've been playing the game in some form since the alpha; goes to show how much I like this thing, eh?

I tried Ick Swamp a few more times today with assassin and rogue, but I keep falling short (my kingdom is a little strapped right now, so I can't really afford to be prep heavy (although I admit I have a front loaded mindset most of the time, since I don't like playing with odds if I can help it).

I was pretty unlucky to have the second boss be super meatman both times. I didn't see it working resource wise. The other dungeon, Labyrinth, also had super meatman (the game must think I'm a big carnivore... well, I am, but that's beside the point), and I had pretty much exausted my ammunition by the time I dealt with Rex (that was as an Elf Warlord, then Elf Fighter).
Red_Soul

Postby Tinker on Wed Feb 17, 2016 11:20 pm

"Thinker", just without the "ache".
Tinker

Postby Red_Soul on Wed Feb 17, 2016 11:38 pm

Red_Soul

Postby Red_Soul on Thu Feb 18, 2016 6:26 am

Victory in the Labyrinth with Orc Wizard.

being that I chose Orc, a hybrid approach worked well at the end (second boss was Jormungandr), but I managed to make the most out of the wizard's casting prowess by prepping the Crystal Ball and lucked out in finding JJ, which I worshiped to the point I had more than 20MP. I wish I had piety to push it even further to the next threshold, but no such luck.

After spiking fireballs on Rex, I threw everything else I had at Jormungandr and converted several glyphs I wasn't using to get the attack rating to 70 or so, and that did it.
Still a narrow victory, but one nonetheless.

Edit: I have no idea what the formatting constraints are for screenshots here, so it might look like something is missing in the picture, or it may be stretched vertically too much, I apologize.
Red_Soul

Next

Return to Desktop Dungeons