[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 120: preg_filter(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 120: preg_filter(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
QCF Design Community • View topic - the difference between decent and skilled play?

the difference between decent and skilled play?

All things Desktop Dungeons

the difference between decent and skilled play?

Postby tollymain on Thu Mar 03, 2016 3:15 pm

so, i came here a few days back out of curiosity. i'm not new to the game, i've beaten gaan-telet, i've finished nearly all of the non-vicious unlock stuff, etc, i get the basic strategic necessities like always punch above your weight, i'm okay at this game by this point.

but then i see people posting about stuff like routinely seeking L+3-4 kills at L1 and exploring most of the map before killing any monsters (but somehow still conserving blackspace?) and so on and i'm kind of baffled. is this a "just play the game long enough to get good" sort of thing? are there basic practices and guidelines for high-skill play? are there specific very strong preps/other interactions that bust the game open? (i can't imagine that the latter is the most important thing, judging by some of the streak records i've seen in the dailies)

what defines high-skill play?
tollymain

Re: the difference between decent and skilled play?

Postby DarkDungeoneer1020 on Fri Mar 04, 2016 10:09 pm

Welcome to the forums! Honestly, i have no idea how some people do L3-4 higher level kills at level 1 so i can't explain that :lol: (I'm usually able to start doing them around lvl 3 though). However, i will give you a description of myself as a player (so you can judge the value of my definition) and how i define high level play (I'm nowhere near it yet though).

Description of me as a player (as of March 4th 2016):
1. I have beaten all vicious dungeons besides VGT 4+ times (have not beaten VGT even once)
2. I have grasped the basics of PISORF and other glpyhs
3. I have learned basic-intermediate god use
4. I can't perform the lvl 3-4 higher kills at lvl 1 (except in very specific situations)

My definition of high level play (left a lot of things out but i think some of the more important ones are there):
1. You can perform the mentioned lvl 3-4 kills at level 1-2
2. Proficient use of PISORF and other glpyhs (but especially PISORF)
3. Proficient use of gods (probably the most important thing here)
Desktop Dungeons D.E.R.P ID: Dungeoneer1020
Current Favorite Desktop Dungeons Race/Class Combos: Gnome Sorcerer, Gnome Tinker
Favorite God: TT
My Desktop Dungeons Videos: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCMvtEv ... IAVrc1492g
AKA:
Dark
Bad at DD
DarkDungeoneer1020

Postby Tinker on Fri Mar 04, 2016 10:31 pm

"Thinker", just without the "ache".
Tinker

Postby Blovski on Sat Mar 05, 2016 1:11 pm

Blovski

Postby tollymain on Sat Mar 05, 2016 4:01 pm

speaking of transmuter, i just finished out that goblin bonus bravery quest with that class but honestly i got lucky, i kept fucking up the timing on spirit sword and the goblin conversion bonus and utterly wasting resources

is that considered a good combo or are there too many moving parts there to really leverage the possibilities well? either way, i still have yet to work out efficient use of that class. it seems like the most complicated non-monster class (have only unlocked goatperson so far), is that the case?
tollymain

Postby Darvin on Sat Mar 05, 2016 8:54 pm

Darvin

Postby Blovski on Sun Mar 06, 2016 1:09 am

Blovski

Postby ruthieLS on Tue Mar 08, 2016 3:37 am

ruthieLS

Postby Tinker on Sun Mar 13, 2016 6:58 pm

"Thinker", just without the "ache".
Tinker

Postby eastless on Mon Mar 14, 2016 11:55 am

I'm doing L+5 kills at L1 like always. ;)
eastless

Next

Return to Desktop Dungeons