[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 120: preg_filter(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 120: preg_filter(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
QCF Design Community • View topic - the difference between decent and skilled play?

the difference between decent and skilled play?

All things Desktop Dungeons

Re: the difference between decent and skilled play?

Postby Lujo on Tue Mar 15, 2016 4:03 am

Goblin Transmuter is loads of fun, though. In general, that class gets better as you gain more experience with the game, as it rewards reading the map and timing your stuff. Don't underestimate it, though, it can get VERY silly once you know your gods and glyphs and items and stuff. That is unless your doing a Human transmuter because then it's just a rather frontloaded lolstomp, or a pissorf orc transmuter which is an even more front loaded lolstomp. Err, Halfling transmuters are also pretty strightforward, too.

How you get better, or at least one way to get better, is to play a big bunch until you get a feeling about how much you can get away with. For a while there you'll be trying to squeeze every advantage, turn every rock over, fret about every move and so on, but then you'll (likely) notice that you're getting quite a bunch of overkill in the end, so you'll start to play around with the resources you ussually hoard for the boss fight. You'll also (probably) notice that some features let you get away with less thinking than other ones do - this doesn't mean you have to cheeze those, just that you don't have to go mad with sinergy and focus but can play around with stuff because you can kinda eyeball when the boss/es are dead anyway.

Like how the Sorcerer is so strong at spellcasting that you can easily go for a melee fighting dwarven sorcerer and still be a strong spellcaster on top of it with less effort. This then gets you to explore features you wouldn't otherwise explore and single out stuff that are just boring to trounce with. Or it doesn't, because you like the stuff that you can trounce with and you trounce with it and that's all fine and dandy, I suppose.
I almost got pwned by Shifty Brickwork!
Lujo

Postby zayyeh on Thu Apr 28, 2016 5:23 pm

Hey Lujo!

You really should start making educational videos.

How many hours you have played DD btw?
We made an expansion and it is awesome. Download over at ddmod.weebly.com.
zayyeh

Postby Darvin on Thu Apr 28, 2016 5:32 pm

Darvin

Postby Tinker on Thu Apr 28, 2016 7:51 pm

Lujo did a couple of vids under the alias Luka Kordić. He does tend to complain about stuff and all, so take his comments with a grain of salt (but the play itself is pretty solid).
"Thinker", just without the "ache".
Tinker

Postby zayyeh on Sat Apr 30, 2016 6:32 am

We made an expansion and it is awesome. Download over at ddmod.weebly.com.
zayyeh

Postby Lujo on Sat May 14, 2016 11:48 pm

Lujo

Postby Tinker on Sun May 15, 2016 5:38 am

"Thinker", just without the "ache".
Tinker

Postby Lujo on Sun May 15, 2016 11:55 am

Tinker, there's no need to argue around, but you're the person who made a thread called "Wiki - finishing touches" while being so inexperienced you would now have serious trouble arguing with yourself from the past, because yourself from the past was such a stubborn noob. The only thing I can say is I hope one day you happen to yourself.

And as for casting first stones - when I showed up here I was an alpha semi-veteran. I saw most folks were noobs and let them catch up a bit before ever posting anything. And when I made a thread called "the only way to play this game" it was to mock the power level of a degenerate strat (or the ease with which you could layer several into a single one) in order to get it nerfed. And to try change the general attitude about some things in the forums. And it took me a long, long time before I dared think I was qualified to touch the wiki.

Skilled play - play a lot, drop assumptions. Play with the mindset that the game is lousy and easy, try stupid stuff out, make a note of what you get away with. Learn what "enough" is. Then you know when you have more than you need.
Otherwise pick an obviously easy to levarage blunt instrument or something that was bugged and never fixed and just lean on it until everything breaks. If you can't be bothered to stumble into them, just ask a vet (provided you can find one anymore). Some things you can beat anything with are so simple minded you can do them even if you can barely play otherwise (Really, there were folks unlocking monster classess while only ever knowing how to win any map with 1 strat).
Lujo

Postby dislekcia on Wed May 18, 2016 4:56 pm

dislekcia

Postby Darvin on Thu May 19, 2016 6:55 pm

I should have stepped in here a long time ago. It's quite clear that Lujo and Tinker have a virulent antichemistry, and Lujo has no respect for dislekcia which undermines the effectiveness of moderation attempts. I think it's far too late to reconcile this, but I'm going to try.

So, here's the ground rules: Lujo is not allowed to talk about Tinker, Tinker is not allowed to talk about Lujo. This doesn't mean you can't respond to each other, or even quote the posts, but what you say must be exclusively about Desktop Dungeons. You are not allowed to critique or even comment on each other personally. Please don't try to use clever sophistry to get around this. If either of you feels the other broke this rule, PM me and I will follow up on it. Speaking of PM's, just don't PM each other. If you absolutely must send a non-public message for some reason, I will act as an escrow.
Darvin

PreviousNext

Return to Desktop Dungeons