[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 120: preg_filter(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 120: preg_filter(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
QCF Design Community • View topic - VGT Olympics

VGT Olympics

All things Desktop Dungeons

Re: VGT Olympics

Postby ~'(^ + ^)'~ on Mon May 02, 2016 2:09 pm

Yay! Completed last challenge 9. Rat Monarch without Binlor, :D

Did it with Mystera, I did have Soul Orb from my "Dream Set" but other items I used weren't from it (Platemail and Agnostic's Collar):

http://images.akamai.steamusercontent.c ... 41A6AAEC1/
Bottom Row:
http://images.akamai.steamusercontent.c ... A466CFA74/

Final blow to H:
http://images.akamai.steamusercontent.c ... 3E41E1691/

Luck definitely plays a big part, like I had a previous run where I managed to reach floor 6 (didn't find Dracul by then, and also no Binlor level which is useful especially if you get it early like floor 2). For this run, I had Binlor level in floor 2 but wasn't able to save much blackspace (nothing left by the time I got to H) due to getting Dancing Blade and Fireball Retaliate (I was lucky since I had kept Endiswal and was at least able to put my mana to good use). Finding Dracul early (floor 4) basically meant a very good chance for victory, :)

This proves that it is doable without using Binlor though I still find using Binlor less luck-prone (more combination of items that can lead to victory).

Another thing is that it's entirely possible to win without 2 levels of Lifesteal so you can actually swap in Vampiric Blade for Draining Blade and get to make use of resists much earlier. This means Burn Salve can be replaced by another potion probably Dodge or Reflex potion. It may also be possible to prep Apothecary rather than Quest Items (potions are "cheaper" than most items and being able to get 2 more shop refills plus 2 more potions can help too).
~'(^ + ^)'~

Postby Tinker on Mon May 02, 2016 6:53 pm

"Thinker", just without the "ache".
Tinker

Postby ~'(^ + ^)'~ on Sat May 07, 2016 1:48 pm

Nothing to add, just to report my attempts at Dracul Rat. Only managed to roll first floor PM twice, so only 2 attempts.

First time, I could only reach floor 3 (had Vampiric Blade). No XP floor 2 was the killer. The second attempt was "pretty good", had Dragon Soul and Platemail and managed to reach floor 6. Didn't manage to get a Binlor level, I am thinking early Binlor level especially if the monsters are not spread all around and the combination of the mini-boss and floor curse is not too bad, you can really save lots of blackspace here which can help tons, both for fully revealed floor and the final fight.

Meatman can be a blessing or curse, normally they are great especially if you have Platemail or 2 levels of Lifesteal and you can use them effectively against nasty mobs or mini-bosses by stacking huge amounts of corrosion on them. Though, when they appear on a Bloodless (which renders Lifesteal ineffective) level, then their high HP becomes more of a bad thing.

Floor Curses-wise, No XP, Fully revealed and probably Bloodless are the worst and best to get them in the later floors when you are already very strong. Retaliate Fireball is mainly bad when coupled with Dancing Blade. Triple Curse, First Strike, Four Ailments aren't especially deadly to a Rat. If you are lucky, then you don't have to face 1 of them, preferably from the first 3 "worst" ones.

I am thinking Dracul still seems doable but probably needs a little more luck than Mystera. I hate to think about JJ, seems really tough for that with the lack of inventory space. I also thought about GG, if you can take Dragon Soul instead of Draining Blade and hopefully be able to convert later to Dracul. Though, the lack of Lifesteal may simply make the initial GG phase close to impossible.

Maybe, I can try also repeating Mystera but with different preps like taking Vampiric Blade directly, etc. just for experimentation sake, to see if she is as "good" as Binlor as a god for people to get their first Rat VGT win.
~'(^ + ^)'~

Postby Tinker on Sat May 07, 2016 6:37 pm

I never could get the Dracul version off the ground. I had better progress with a GG one honestly... Come to think of it, from my failed attemts that seemed like the most promising, it's just that the lack of Lifesteal put a *lot* of pressure on the efficiency of play... But maybe I'll give it another shot just to see whether it's feasible... I find your Mystera win really exciting! :)
Tinker

Postby ~'(^ + ^)'~ on Sat Sep 17, 2016 12:29 pm

So, I was "talking" to this guy on the steam forum about VGT - he was "whining" about the unfairness of getting TT when you reach H as a GoatPerson, he did eventually cleared VGT with the Goat badge.

Also, he was having trouble completing VGT with Vampire - yeah, most would probably find it strange. I tried to give some advice about this but last I heard, he was still unable to complete this.

Anyway, I casually mentioned about VGT VT being "only possible" with Vampire and Paladin - actually was hinting to him to use 1 of these classes that have the best chance. And I said "unless someone proves it wrong" and guess what, he did what he had mentioned (he said he wanted to do VGT VT with a Rogue and I was saying it would be super hard).

Recommending to add his entry here: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/f ... =764761093

Goes by the Steam name of Phyre, probably can put his forum name when he decides to join here.
~'(^ + ^)'~

Postby Tinker on Sat Sep 17, 2016 3:39 pm

Tinker

Postby choongmyoung on Thu Oct 06, 2016 12:43 pm

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=3508&p=42433#p42433

Non-[Vampire, Paladin] Warmonger.
It could be easy sanguine-free win... Foolish fooly fools! Biscuits.

Oh, the time was quite short! Could you add this at the speedrun corner?
choongmyoung

Postby Tinker on Thu Oct 06, 2016 9:31 pm

Tinker

Postby choongmyoung on Tue Oct 11, 2016 7:08 pm

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=3508&p=42480#p42480

Ork Monk Purist.
Scummed only for 1st tower Taurog, then won at the first try.
choongmyoung

Postby Tinker on Tue Oct 11, 2016 7:41 pm

Added!

I find it remarkable that by today Purist VGT has been done with at least five different classes - something that was considered to be only possible with the Human or Dwarf Rogue... I wonder, how many other classes can do it Purist? :D
Tinker

PreviousNext

Return to Desktop Dungeons