[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 390: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 120: preg_filter(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 120: preg_filter(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
QCF Design Community • View topic - VGT Olympics

VGT Olympics

All things Desktop Dungeons

Re: VGT Olympics

Postby The Tapir on Wed Mar 30, 2016 3:40 pm

Huh, I actually hadn't thought of how useful the fire heart might be. As much as I've been using glyphs, I have ignored that as well as the dragon soul in most of my attempts for either being too expensive or not having the right glyphs to use with them.

EDIT: Just had a run that likely had all of the elements required for success - Halpmeh and Getindare, early Taurog + GG + Dracul, midas gloves + platemail + troll heart + witchalok pendant (resists were slow with a late PM), and back-to-back Golden Statue and Illusion and an early Bridge Troll on top of no fully revealed floor and an early first strike floor. What went wrong, you might ask? I started off in Taurog and planned on picking up the helm and armor before hopping into GG for the tower phase, but only grabbed the armor before I filled up my inventory with shop items and glyphs. No worries, I could convert the troll heart and pick up the helm then hop into GG. 3 seconds later, I realized that I had converted into GG without taking the helm. This was annoying, but there was lots to convert and I could easily meet the conversion requirement. I go back to Taurog, grab the helm, and then realize that I would have to kill all of my remaining popcorn to get back to 50 piety for going back to GG. I wanted to use the resist scroll, so I knew I needed 3 monsters left to clear the curses, so I ditched Halpmeh and left 3 first strikers for curse clearing and the extra body pact resists. At this point, I was back in GG, but I was already level 10 so I earned little to no piety from the 4-5 level ups I had afterwards. The rest of the tower was a slow downward spiral until I completely crashed at the 9th floor with no resources left to beat the elite dragonspawn and a remaining warlock. Had I properly managed my conversions, I would have had 35% both resists by the 3rd floor on top of platemail, and would have been able to get not only to Horatio but at least a few thousand damage in if not an outright win.

Still sour about that loss. :evil:
The Tapir

Postby Spleen on Fri Apr 01, 2016 12:51 am

First non-Vampire VGT run, first non-Vampire VGT win! Opened up with a Vampiric blade and found Dracul on the first tower, so you might be able to guess how that went. Went straight for the Consensus Body Pact into Tikki Tooki, dudeskis! Mark me down for that Sanguine-free and Paladin-odd-god :D
Video'd it too, Slowed + Body Pact + Cheap Kill is pretty cool, and Dodging is always fun: https://youtu.be/skjbJd4tCLw

also i did a speedrun etc etc
Spleen

Postby The Tapir on Fri Apr 01, 2016 5:46 am

The Tapir

Postby Spleen on Fri Apr 01, 2016 12:29 pm

Spleen

Postby Tinker on Fri Apr 01, 2016 1:07 pm

"Thinker", just without the "ache".
Tinker

Postby dusty on Fri Apr 01, 2016 2:46 pm

was in mood for something easy today ended up with an unintended speedrun

you know that everything goes your way when you pummel H and still have nearly all of the walls in the courtyard unexplored :D
dusty

Postby Tinker on Fri Apr 01, 2016 8:25 pm

"Thinker", just without the "ache".
Tinker

Postby Spleen on Fri Apr 01, 2016 9:09 pm

Got VGT done with Orc Rogue, Sanguine-less, for challenge 2a - only Jehora and a Pact used. Couldn't be bothered to scum for the Jehora tower so I just ate the inventory hit. Got it in two tries, not seeing Platemail nor Vampiric Blade for the win. Did reset a couple times, though, because Jehora gave me 3 corrosions off the bat once, then 2 weaknesses next try :|
Had to pop an early Chaos Avatar because tower 2 was No XP with Illusion but it also let me use up all my piety and rebuild it for the Pact. Just like Tikki, I found Jehora a surprisingly great piety farm/starter, and WEYTWUT is great for the First Strike tower. Was stuck at 100 piety from like tower 5 - at least a guaranteed Last Chance was cool. Got a few good dodges in the final hour, but probably had enough blackspace anyway.

Also I realised that the type and tileset of the tower is directly linked to which god's in it so I guess that makes scumming easier.

Last edited by Spleen on Sat Apr 02, 2016 2:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Spleen

Postby dislekcia on Sat Apr 02, 2016 1:06 am

dislekcia

Postby Spleen on Sat Apr 02, 2016 2:06 am

Spleen

PreviousNext

Return to Desktop Dungeons