[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 120: preg_filter(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
QCF Design Community • View topic - How important are preparations?

How important are preparations?

All things Desktop Dungeons

How important are preparations?

Postby Halfwrong on Tue Jun 07, 2016 12:24 am

Hey new player here, I've been hooked to how addictive this game is! I'm currently tackling on the hard dungeons and I'm kinda struggling to finish them, one thing I don't understand is the use of preparing items for a run. I usually go by default, which is health and mana potions and I feel like I should add more, but I'm a bit sceptical to do it since it requires you to spend gold to do so. My town has a gold shortage problem, and I'm trying to earn up for the lvl 3 mage tower (the only class specific building that's not lvl 3 yet), so do you think it's worth for me to spend some gold preparing items? Keep in mind most of my buildings are lvl 2, except the class specific ones. So I'm wondering how important prepping items are, and what items should I prep. Thanks!
Halfwrong

Re: How important are preparations?

Postby Darvin on Wed Jun 08, 2016 2:49 am

Darvin

Postby ~'(^ + ^)'~ on Wed Jun 08, 2016 2:57 am

It depends on your purpose, if prepping a Fine Sword just like Darvin recommended helps you complete dungeons faster and your aim is to earn gold, then you can probably do it.

There are other ways to earn gold too, have you unlocked the Gnome or Halfling races? Those allow you to get lots of potions and it's easy to use them for runs to earn more gold.

You can also explore other parts of the game like puzzles, class challenges (many of them unlock useful and powerful items), and gods. All these help you understand the game more and also give you more and better ways to clear the dungeons much more easily.

Every dungeon (even the toughest ones) can be done Purist. If you search up Tinker's post on Purist + Vicious challenge, you can also see that except for the hardest dungeon, all dungeons have been done with Purist + Vicious Token (ups the difficulty significantly). Though in normal situations, you would want to use preps to make your runs easier.

Can you take part in dailies yet? Attempting 5 dailies in a row (you don't have to win them) also gives you 750 gold so that's about 150 gold per day for a little effort.
~'(^ + ^)'~

Postby zayyeh on Wed Jun 08, 2016 11:20 am

I suggest to finish all the quests first. They give you nice rewards and gold. After that, if you have gold shortage, you can do "flame" runs - you will see that there will be a flame above one of the dungeons - 3x price for the boss trophy. Also, prep "Bet on Boss" to earn more gold.

Or you can do dungeons you know how to finish quickly - with "Bet on Boss" also.
If you prep "Vicious Token", it will add extra gold if you win.

There are some nice combinations of class/races to clear certain dungeons. For example, Orc Monk of Taurog with Whurgarbl is ideal to clear Magma Mines with Vicious Token. So you can "farm" this dungeon once you are familiar with tactics and get ~1k gold every time :)
We made an expansion and it is awesome. Download over at ddmod.weebly.com.
zayyeh

Postby The Avatar on Wed Jul 06, 2016 10:50 am

I would say item preps are least important, especially for normal and hard dungeons. Fine sword is excellent, troll heart gets solid value, and some item preps (like balanced dagger, which you may or may not have unlocked) can define your entire run. Still, generally preps like an appropriate altar or Magnet fireball are going to get you more value per coin, and don't have a reclamation fee if you convert them/accidentally die.
We made an expansion and it is awesome. Really, you should check it out, especially if you're looking for some extra challenge.

Download over at ddmod.weebly.com!
The Avatar

Postby choongmyoung on Thu Jul 07, 2016 4:50 am

Actually, if you have unlocked a transmuter, there is an alternative way to ern money easily; I think it is kinda cheating anyway...
Choose hafling transmuter, go to shifting passages(no walls will block you), LEMMISI spam, convert every glyph, take money and potions, run out. DON'T RESTART, just get out and repeat.
Though it easy and fast, it does not progress your kingdom, I first recomment you to do all the quests.

Oh, and btw, preperations WILL make your life significantly easier.
choongmyoung

Return to Desktop Dungeons