If you could tweak DD, what would you tweak?

All things Desktop Dungeons

If you could tweak DD, what would you tweak?

Postby Tinker on Sat Aug 27, 2016 9:20 pm

I had some ideas (accumulated over the last couple of months actually) about some tweaks to some stuff in DD. I'm not saying that the stuff I list here is bad or br0ken or whatever in the base game; it's just some game elements that inspired me to think, "what if X would also do Y", and stuff. I'm deliberately not including new classes or races or whatnot, there are lots of topics for that already, it's just about the existing stuff I'd consider changing. Let me know if you agree/disagree, or have ideas of your own! (I'm fairly certain the game is no longer going to change, so this is just a thought experiment.)

Classes

Priest: I would love it if the Priest could detect altars like the Tinker detects stairs. Could be squeezed into "Good Golly".

Chemist: I don't want to say anything bad about this guy after seeing Zayyeh wipe the floor with Kinisssch on a VT run. That said, I miss something from this class. Either the potion use nerf could be, well, nerfed to 20% or not be nerfed at all (you are after all foregoing your regen in a bar, so the Form effects are anyway kind of like having B2P or HALPMEH on you). Or add some cool effect on each potion quaff, like Might/Knockback%/Dodge%/First Strike/Bonus XP/whatnot (could be random, or just different effect(s) tied to existing potions... you'd never look at a Fortitude Tonic the same way if quaffing it would give you Might+First Strike+Bonus XP... ;) ).

Guard: I'd love to keep him as a playable class even after the tutorial!! :) Could be seen as a challenge class in case you want to really rainbow maps. I'd say he'd be totally educational to play.

Monster Classes

I would hand out a couple of immunities to them. Partly thematically, partly from mechanics point of view.

Rat Monarch: I kind of would imagine Rats being immune to Curses.
Half-Dragon: With them being these magical dragon beasts and all, I'd see them immune to Mana Burn.
Gorgon: Immunity to Poison, anyone?

Races

Dwarf: I would love it if each conversion would, on top of giving them Health, also raise their maximum resists by 1%. Possibly some hard-cap like 90% could still be there to avoid somehow maxing resists all the way.

Goblin: I would really love it if Gobs could somehow sneak in an 11th level - maybe not the numerical value (it would be insane on Assassins), but in terms of stats. Like, getting a one-time flat bonus of +1 level's worth of base damage and health on the 7th conversion bar fill-up.

Items

Naga Cauldron: I could totally see the Cauldron give also mana "overheal" like it does for health. I'd also love it to boost the potion effectiveness a bit more, say by a base +10%, on top of the affliction-based bonus.

Stone Sigil: I'd love to see the CP-value boosted to, say, 55. It's one of the few items that are much less useful if found late. A CP-boost would still make it good if found on the last tile.

Glyphs

Bysseps: Might open up a whole new can of worms, but I would kind of see it giving a temporary Knockback boost of, say, +20%... Even if the cost would increase by 1 as a result. Would not make it as good as PISORF, but it would make the glyph more useful in a tactical sense (i.e. can be carefully used to open up choke-points, with the caveat that you must survive a hit).

Pisorf: I'd separate the resists of each monster when calculating the damage (might need a tweak on Knockback itself instead, who knows). So instead of ignoring the 2nd monster's resists and using only the 1st monster's, it would calculate pure damage dealt to both and then use each monsters' resists to reduce it (possibly getting into situations where the two monsters take different amounts of damage, maybe even the second one taking more in some cases).

Boons

Warrior's Pact: I'd tweak it up a bit to make it more generally useful. Say, give +2 Health for a cost of -5 Piety per kill. Maybe even +3 Health for -8 Piety. Or, similar to the Dwarf tweak, it could toy with max resists (say, every 2nd kill also gives you +1% to maximum resists).

That's it off the top of my head... ;) Comments/thoughts/ideas?
"Thinker", just without the "ache".
Tinker

Re: If you could tweak DD, what would you tweak?

Postby Sidestepper on Sun Aug 28, 2016 12:03 am

Enlightenment (Glowing Guardian boon): It got left behind after the Absolution nerf. It was worth it when you could reliably get two or three rows of beads, now it's not. I'd prefer a revisit to Absolution, but I could settle for just reducing the cost of Enlightenment to 80.
Sidestepper

Return to Desktop Dungeons