[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 120: preg_filter(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
QCF Design Community • View topic - Fan Expansion coming this Friday!

Fan Expansion coming this Friday!

All things Desktop Dungeons

Fan Expansion coming this Friday!

Postby The Avatar on Wed Mar 15, 2017 6:05 am

EDIT: We've released! Go to ddmod.weebly.com to download now!

Hello, everyone!

For a little over half a year now, myself, Zayyeh, and a few others have been developing a fan expansion known as Desktop Dungeon Extreme Edition. While we eventually plan to almost double the amount of content in the game, we will officially finish and release the Northern part of it this Friday. Here's what you can look forward to:

-A mini-campaign to the North, complete with devious dungeons, quirky quests, and fiendish foes!
-A few classes with class challenges!
-A slew of new items with oddball effects!
-Other arguably cool secret stuff that you will have to discover yourself!

Come Friday, after I reply to this thread that we've published, go to [url]ddmod.weebly.com[/url] (currently in non-functional, will work on release) to download the expansion. We plan to keep rolling this out to everyone in stages (1 per region to a total of 5), but if you are impatient and/or interested in testing, please contact me or Zayyeh (see Contact section of website). We have a private beta that updates weekly/biweekly, and if you're interested in helping test then we'd love your help. In the mean time, here's a few teaser screenshots:
http://imgur.com/a/Pm9zU
Last edited by The Avatar on Fri Mar 17, 2017 8:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
We made an expansion and it is awesome. Really, you should check it out, especially if you're looking for some extra challenge.

Download over at ddmod.weebly.com!
The Avatar

Re: Fan Expansion coming this Friday!

Postby Sidestepper on Wed Mar 15, 2017 12:46 pm

Hello everyone! My contribution to the project has been fairly minor (mostly scattered testing and a little bit of design), but I do have the distinction of being involved with the project since very nearly the beginning. And let me tell you, this is not just some PoS hack.

Zayyeh has taken DtD modding far, far beyond what was initially thought possible. Way back in the beginning, I would propose a few ideas that I thought might be doable in a dirty, hacky kind of way, but then Zayyeh would figure out a way to implement it for real. I might suggest something like "Just put an existing stock monster in a subdungeon, it's just a mod, who cares" and he would come back with unique monster with totally new scripted powers and a lavishly decorated environment for it, along with custom animations and dialogue balloons. Both he and Avatar were always about the raising the bar, pushing for professional standards on what is, nominally, an amateur project.

So the new classes aren't just remixes of existing class powers. They have totally new abilities that have never existed in DtD before, and explore game space that hasn't been explored yet. The new dungeons have quests, dialogue, and unique scripted events. Avatar has done a good job of assuming Nandrew's voice, and a new player would be hard pressed to tell the custom content apart from the stock content.

We've tried to keep the new content as unobtrusive as possible. All of the new stuff fits in the theme and setting of the game, and we've kept it as opt-in as possible. You can ignore the new classes and dungeons and items if you want. Only a few of the new items end up in your shop pool, and we added extra veto slots so you can subtract them back out if you want to.

For people who aren't interested in new classes and dungeons, there are still things for you. I don't want to spoil anything, but there's a super challenge mode that you can add to any dungeon as a special preparation. It's not a simple stat up for the monsters, it's something far more interesting. If you've ever finished a dungeon with piles of resources left and wished there was more you could do with your ultrabuff hero before retiring, well this is for you. There is also the Dream Potion, which I won't spoil, but I will say that I think it will be a wildly popular feature.

A big thumbs up goes to the devs, who were supportive of the project and even passed on some technical tips.

And hey, if you have contact with any of the old forum regulars, let them know that this is coming. It'd be great to see some old names back here again.
Sidestepper

Postby dislekcia on Wed Mar 15, 2017 3:04 pm

I don't think I've ever been this excited to play DD in years :)
dislekcia

Postby berpdreyfuss on Fri Mar 17, 2017 8:41 am

This is unbelievably good both in terms of quantity and quality! I have only done a little bit of testing and was really impressed by all the work they have put into this.
berpdreyfuss

Postby The Avatar on Fri Mar 17, 2017 8:20 pm

We're officially up! Check out ddmod.weebly.com to download and play it. If you're curious to learn more of what you're getting before you jump in, Sidestepper plans to post a spoiler-y summery, but I recommend you just play it! Have fun, and please give us lots of feedback. We want your victory screenshots, first impressions, gripes and anything else, so please don't hesitate to post.
We made an expansion and it is awesome. Really, you should check it out, especially if you're looking for some extra challenge.

The Avatar

Postby CoolBoy on Sat Mar 18, 2017 11:24 pm

Congrats on your release. I know how long you've all been hard at work on this. Desktop Dungeons has an ability to bring people together like no other game in recent memory.
CoolBoy

Postby Nurator on Wed Mar 29, 2017 11:51 am

Wow, that is just amazing! Do you take some kind of donations for all the work?
Nurator

Postby The Avatar on Wed Mar 29, 2017 5:08 pm

Not currently, although if there is meaningful interest we might set something up. Either way, I very much appreciate the sentiment. Also, Issues with money, etc, around this need to be handled very carefully as none of this is our intellectual property, so even if there is interest it will have to be carefully discussed with the devs and it would only happen with their approval.

So basically, enjoy it for free with a free conscience!

The Avatar

Postby Nurator on Thu Mar 30, 2017 8:38 am

Ok awesome :) Thank you so much for all the work!
Nurator

Postby zayyeh on Thu Mar 30, 2017 7:08 pm

We made an expansion and it is awesome. Download over at ddmod.weebly.com.
zayyeh

Next

Return to Desktop Dungeons