[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 120: preg_filter(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 120: preg_filter(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
QCF Design Community • View topic - Extreme Edition Spoilers

Extreme Edition Spoilers

All things Desktop Dungeons

Re: Extreme Edition Spoilers

Postby choongmyoung on Fri Sep 29, 2017 4:55 pm

choongmyoung

Postby General_Milky on Sun Oct 01, 2017 3:19 am

Meanwhile I'm sort of spinning my wheels. Too intimidated by Magician Gold to give it a good try, same with Masterpack puzzles. I've instead just been trying to rainbow dungeons new and old, really casual stuff.

I've been thinking about documenting stuff. Is there any sort of place cleared for this? I've never edited wikis before, not outside of simple text changes, but I think a resource detailing exact numbers and mechanics for all the new content would be cool, if only one existed.
General_Milky

Postby choongmyoung on Sun Oct 01, 2017 3:47 pm

Maybe we can generate some wiki pages like "Alpha:", with "Extreme:" something like that. By C&P the format. I'm not very comfortable with the wiki grammars, though I'm the only one recently editing DD wiki.
choongmyoung

Postby General_Milky on Sun Oct 08, 2017 7:57 am

Little bug report to drop here, but I am not too sure how to replicate it...

I was playing with the Golemancy Scroll. Orc Thief, of Binlor, in Cursed Oasis. Somehow, someway, the might effect on kill was stacking and not decreasing. Everything I killed boosted my attack higher and higher and higher until the end where I had well over 600 attack. I don't think it was a potion or item synergy, as I was going for Miser so I couldn't have bought anything, and my special potions ended up not being needed. Bysseps, Burndayraz, and Getindere were being used, and the only boon I bought was Stonefist.

I tried for a bit to recreate it, but I can't really make it happen. Still worth having your testers research if they can, a pretty big exploit has opened up if the cause behind this is found.

PS. Golemancy Scroll and One Horn are actually really neat. All this time I've been prepping dragon shield because it's just the best all-around prep, but the scroll is MUCH better than it seems on paper (Turning popcorn to huge physical resist is an amazingly helpful boost) and the horn, while not nearly as good as the shield in most situations, has good use in being something like a repeatable slayer wand. It can turn an otherwise troublesome monster into free EXP. While neither really trumps the dragon shield, they're still pretty fun to play with, and quite capable with the right strats. More than can be said for the cauldron, for example.
General_Milky

Postby General_Milky on Sat Oct 14, 2017 9:46 am

Dropping in here to post another gameplay report. Just because I like doing that, sometimes.

The mod has made me a much better player. I'm not sure if it's the mod exclusively, or I just happened to improve while playing Extreme Edition's content, but I feel as if the trials and tribulations of doing the Extreme Edition quests are the precise point I really learned the value of certain mechanics. Namely, god conversion, health as a whole, and just how damn good max mana can actually be (I once thought of caster approaches to be pretty bad, I'd always rather get damage, resists, and use magic to supplement brawling.) thanks to the likes of Hidden Workshop 6 badge run, and the god-awful Scrapyard vicious-hoarder.

I've been seeing the results of this for a while, as I'd been knocking out a lot of gold challenges and the triple quests out over the months, and now I'm seeing it again as I've become good enough to run vanilla Vicious dungeons purist. While I probably aren't as good as the old guys long before my time like Lujo, Tinker, Darvin, Avatar, Spleen, Choong... basically everyone on this forum EXCEPT me, I am starting to feel like I've gotten good and can proudly count myself in the elite and am in fact capable of thinking for myself and discovering strategy to call my own. Where does this fit into the mod other than me owing it stepping me up to the next level? The Golemancy Scroll.

I don't think anyone's talking about this thing, but by god they SHOULD. I don't think anyone's really talked about it yet besides me in the last post, but damn this thing's good. I've been taking it as my prep for a good few runs now, and I love the hell out of it. It's beating Vicious Token runs, it's in all honesty probably one of the most efficient items around as far as spiking goes. 2-3 popcorn is an EXCELLENT tradeoff for a high-value kill in leveling as well as an incredible repeatable boon for boss spiking, presuming it's not a magical attacker. So long as you can manage your popcorn, it's an immense blackspace saver and it makes the den of lvl 1's secret subdungeon almost as good as finding Glenrick. I once again urge anyone playing the mod and lurking around to give it a try. It's a beautiful, beautiful item and I'm SURE I'm going to owe more than one victory in the coming expansion to it.
General_Milky

Postby The Avatar on Sat Oct 14, 2017 10:40 pm

We made an expansion and it is awesome. Really, you should check it out, especially if you're looking for some extra challenge.

Download over at ddmod.weebly.com!
The Avatar

Postby General_Milky on Sun Oct 15, 2017 12:41 am

General_Milky

Postby General_Milky on Tue Oct 17, 2017 7:43 am

Yet another double post from me. I wonder if I shouldn't start just editing my last one to not spam...

Turns out I was full of shit. After last post I decided to finish the golds once and for all, did every single one of them, speaking vanilla. Immediately attempted Magician Gold and got clotheslined by it very clearly being the hardest class challenge in the game by far. I had a winning run going... or so I thought, until I realized that killing popcorn to squeeze in one more level and angering Mystera also gave the boss 90 magic resist. That was quite the downer.

A problem I have is I'm not sure if I should wait to worship until the very end, or worship early and stay relatively low level. I'm going to try the former and see how it goes, but Mystic Balance was pretty much the reason I could fight high levels in the first place... The boss isn't the problem, the main dungeon is.
General_Milky

Postby The Avatar on Tue Oct 17, 2017 8:27 am

When you double post I get a notification, so that's good!

Contrats on beating the vanilla golds! It's been awhile, but I remember Paladin being a real tough customer.

I'm not going to give any tips on magician gold (anything harder than the basic unlock quests is all on you guys), but as a gold challenge it was very intentionally designed to be the hardest thing in the expansion (bar puzzles). Expect Bard to get beefed up and future ones to be very much in the same vein (super, stretch challenges which it would be cruel to gate any content unlock behind). Experiment, do the math on how much (and at what level) you need to beat the boss, and good luck!
We made an expansion and it is awesome. Really, you should check it out, especially if you're looking for some extra challenge.

Download over at ddmod.weebly.com!
The Avatar

Postby General_Milky on Tue Oct 17, 2017 9:12 am

No kidding. Magician Gold is more like a Platinum challenge than anything. Most golds are actually not that bad, only about a third of them have a wall that isn't one-dimensionally solvable, but this one is on a level all its own. I'm sure I could do it, I probably could have managed that one run if I didn't get greedy for that extra level and anger Mystera, but the dungeon is truly devious. It's about using a god in a place where she's going to hate you, soul suckers are the only enemy she's okay with you fighting and those guys are Illusion levels of miserable.

I'll probably let this one wait til later. I feel accomplished enough having done the vanilla ones, I'll work on Magician next update so I can go back and fourth between it and the Bishop or whatever the fourth Church class ends up being.
General_Milky

PreviousNext

Return to Desktop Dungeons