Extreme Edition Spoilers

All things Desktop Dungeons

Re: Extreme Edition Spoilers

Postby General_Milky on Sun Aug 27, 2017 3:41 am

It does. Looks like I'm just playing a while now.
General_Milky

Postby choongmyoung on Sun Aug 27, 2017 6:23 am

Wow, it was actually possible

I was thinking to scum for LEMMISI + Zombie corridor sub, which gives a LOT of blackspaces. But I spotted Dracul+GG+PM combination so I just got to work. It was very close!
It's funny that I took Blood Hunger and then moved to GG. Most time it's epic fail, isn't it? I remember I once did the GG conversion with lifesteal Gorgon in VGT, and convert Taurog's gears to get a last bit of protection. Amazing game.
choongmyoung

Postby choongmyoung on Sun Sep 24, 2017 11:01 am

I rainbowed the Oasis Town. Scrooge was very very easy with orc monk, who had 75%-48% resists + Platemail + Vampiric Blade. (Taurog+Dracul) Had plenty of resources left including every bloodpools. I really love monk. I especially love the moment when I heal versus the super meat man. I also really love this dungeon.
choongmyoung

Postby General_Milky on Sun Sep 24, 2017 1:46 pm

Oasis Town is also my favorite dungeon of the bunch, although I have to admit all of them are extremely good.

The only real boring one is Hidden Workshop, as its whole gimmick really just boils down to "kill as few monsters as you can possibly get away with." A strategy you WANT to apply into any dungeon, only here it's enforced. In practice, it turns on to not really play particularly differently than what we're used to, wheres both Vicious, Oasis Town, and Ancient Scrapheap have rules and gimmicks that really set them apart.

Not that I'm advocating a a change for HW. It's just fine as it is and it DOES have an identity I like, just noting how in practice the rule it enforces is a rule you want to follow anyway.

Still can't wait for the update. In the meantime I've been hunting the Scrooge badge in several dungeons and wiping up Portal Perilous (which I finally cleared the other day) and the last few Gold challenges (still working on those)
General_Milky

Postby choongmyoung on Sun Sep 24, 2017 5:46 pm

General_Milky wrote:The only real boring one is Hidden Workshop, as its whole gimmick really just boils down to "kill as few monsters as you can possibly get away with."

Interesting. I like the Hidden Workshop, especially the Goodosa. (I can negate his resistance somhow, but not the golem guy's attack) The idea is you should take the chance at some point to deal with the bosses, otherwise you'll be in a big trouble. Goodosa also negates TT assassin build.

My least favorite dungeon is Ancient Scapeyard. it feels like just another Stheno, and the exact attack change is hard to calculate. Though it's mainly because all other dungeons are too good.

Anyway, I cleared all quests now. (Gorgon killing Lekon https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Y2d5w7iQvg ) And I just managed to VT the Lekon's Table with TT Human Assassin with WONAFYT found. This build is plain OP I suppose?
choongmyoung

Postby The Avatar on Sun Sep 24, 2017 10:27 pm

Wow, nice run there on the Gorgon. I'm downright impressed you beat him even after he came back with 47% resists and 143(?!) damage.

Also, bittersweet PSA: The release for the East is going to be quite a bit later than anticipated (think late Q4 2017). In order to make the project sustainable for the long term, we've had to recode a lot of the older stuff. On the bright side, this will reduce strange untraceable bugs (like the Reflex Potion crash), make the new effect interactions clearer (looking at you, Mana Shield+Unstable, etc.), and speed up development in future. If it is any further consolation, there will also be more content in the east, and some nice polish upgrades too. Combine that with the shorter time between future updates, and this should (hopefully) be the only really long wait in our development.
We made an expansion and it is awesome. Really, you should check it out, especially if you're looking for some extra challenge.

Download over at ddmod.weebly.com!
The Avatar

Postby General_Milky on Mon Sep 25, 2017 8:11 am

Good to hear, Avatar. Waiting sucks, but that sounds like nothing but a good thing in the long run. Keep us all posted... And by all of us, I mean the 5 of us that aren't already in on the testing team. Casual players!

choongmyoung wrote:
My least favorite dungeon is Ancient Scapeyard. it feels like just another Stheno, and the exact attack change is hard to calculate. Though it's mainly because all other dungeons are too good.

Nice work on the Gorgon victory. That was really, really hard for me. I had to scum it, I didn't know how to win without Binlor, Vampiric Blade, AND plate mail all working together.

But I called special attention to this line because I feel it's quite the OPPOSITE from Stheno. Stheno's big deal is you want to clear the whole dungeon before engaging, but doing this in Scrapyard is exactly what you do NOT want to do. You want to leave a handful of monsters around (including the golems the sculptors make. Strategy! You can use the spawns to your advantage!) because the boss is super strong when you first start it, but killing monsters after he's done his thing and put No Experience on them gradually lowers his attack and removes his traits, while attacking him starts to raise and restore them. It makes for a rather interesting scenario where you plan a budget for your health and mana use between just hitting the boss and going for it or wiping out the last remaining high level mooks to keep his stats from raising too far. I didn't even include the balance of deciding if you should kill off enough popcorn to get that one last level or save them and just deal with being a level lower with the tradeoff of having more monsters to neuter the boss with.

So yeah, between farming Spawn enemies out to weaken the boss and the ever-dynamic choice of facing a strong enemy or multiple midstrength ones to find a balance that leads to victory, I think Ancient Scrapheap's got enough going on in it to earn its spot in these new badass postgame dungeons. I quite adore it, it's a spin on the usual DD gameplay that hasn't really been done yet. Similar to mid-fight leveling, and yet with enough differences to stand out and make you rethink your core strategy. Good stuff.
General_Milky

Postby choongmyoung on Mon Sep 25, 2017 11:50 am

General_Milky wrote:I feel it's quite the OPPOSITE from Stheno.

You got the right point,
The same: you can't use popcorns to midfight level up because of the boss' global effect
The different: you can use popcorns somehow
I'm still confused with the exact calculation. Hidden Workshop's bosses are also hard to calculate, but at least they don't change attack in middle of the fight. I also don't like that it disqualifies you from Unstoppable badge as opposite to Stheno. It's not a big deal though.
choongmyoung

Postby zayyeh on Mon Sep 25, 2017 1:25 pm

choongmyoung wrote:I'm still confused with the exact calculation.

AFAIR: Every time you damage someone, boss gets +12 damage, capped at 150 damage. (Under enrage +18, capped at 225).
Every time enemy dies, boss gets -6*enemy level ( Under enrage -9*enemy level).

choongmyoung wrote:Hidden Workshop's bosses are also hard to calculate, but at least they don't change attack in middle of the fight.

Every time enemy dies, Lavavein gets damage equal to enemy level and Goodusa gets enemy level% resists.
We made an expansion and it is awesome. Download over at ddmod.weebly.com.
zayyeh

Postby choongmyoung on Mon Sep 25, 2017 1:39 pm

zayyeh wrote:
choongmyoung wrote:I'm still confused with the exact calculation.

AFAIR: Every time you damage someone, boss gets +12 damage, capped at 150 damage. (Under enrage +18, capped at 225).
Every time enemy dies, boss gets -6*enemy level ( Under enrage -9*enemy level).

So... the damage change is plain, I should maintain the damage as low as possible. Glad to know that.

zayyeh wrote:
choongmyoung wrote:Hidden Workshop's bosses are also hard to calculate, but at least they don't change attack in middle of the fight.

Every time enemy dies, Lavavein gets damage equal to enemy level and Goodusa gets enemy level% resists.

I just realized goblin/Yendor is very good there.
choongmyoung

PreviousNext

Return to Desktop Dungeons