[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 120: preg_filter(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
QCF Design Community • View topic - Extreme East Spotlight Updates (Minor Spoilers)

Extreme East Spotlight Updates (Minor Spoilers)

All things Desktop Dungeons

Re: Extreme East Spotlight Updates (Minor Spoilers)

Postby The Avatar on Sat Nov 11, 2017 7:56 pm

And we're back for round 2!

Traits and Puzzles
More subtle spoiling of a certain new trait, for any who want to try to piece it together.

Alright, as promised this update is quite a bit less monumental, but for those who do their math it should be pretty helpful. Put as simply as possible, we’ve rewritten the interactions for all four of the EE damage-related traits (unstable, corrupting aura, frostbite, and riposte). The good news is, they are a LOT simpler and no longer cause Tikki Tooki to go ballistic at the drop of a hat. The bad news is that they are a bit nastier than they were previously. Here’s an in-depth breakdown:

Unstable and Corrupting Aura: Both of these effectively received the same two changes. First, they are now separate damage sources from the main attack. The upshot of this is that they now horribly murder you through your death protection. If the monster’s main attack breaks your DP, its aura or explosion can and will finish you off. Of course, if the monster’s main attack does not break your DP then Unstable/Corrupting Aura will do the job instead, per normal. Fortunately, we’ve adjusted the predictor to handle all of this, so no need to double check yourself when it comes to living or dying. The second main change is that they no longer technically deal damage. Instead, they remove health from you. While this may sound like a semantic thing, what it translates to is irreducible damage. No matter how much resist/DR/corrosion/frostbite you have, the unstable/corrupting aura portion of the damage will always be unmodified. Additionally, as unstable/corrupting aura aren’t attacks anymore, they do not piss off Tikki Tooki, cannot be dodged, do not remove frostbite, do not inflict status effects/death gaze, etc. They just remove health. Pure, simple, unavoidable, and cruel.

Riposte: Riposte falls a bit in-between the original versions and the new versions of Unstable and Corrupting Aura. It has been separated into two damage sources (so no ignoring it with DP), it cannot be dodged (trying to work dodge prediction with two separate strikes proved to be too much of a mess), and it is not counted as a hit (looking at you, Tikki Tooki). Beyond this, it is like a standard monster attack: Its type is the monster’s damage type (and can thus be reduced), it can inflict status effects (meaning it nails you twice with stackable status effects on physical attacks), it can trigger death gaze (so if its original hit puts you under the death gaze threshold, the riposte will kill you), and it does remove frostbite.

Frostbite: The changes here are far more straightforward. For simplicity’s sake, Frostibite’s damage adding effect basically works like corrosion now, instead of stacking a separate magic damage attack on top of the enemy damage. So if you have enough DR, you can clear your frostbite without actually getting damaged by it, but otherwise it will always deal its full number’s worth of damage.

TL;DR? Don’t worry. The puzzle pack in this expansion is Trait Tutoring. Trait Tutoring is a sort of Agbaar’s Academy for all EE monster traits. And the puzzle difficulty has been bumped down from masochist level to your standard base game puzzle fare. These puzzles are designed more to let you know about the nuances of the traits than to challenge you (although that doesn’t mean they will be easy). Furthermore, this pack will be updated as more traits are added in future releases. So yep, that’s it for this week! Progress inches slowly closer to a releasable product, so, in the mean time, feel free to stress about how much harder things will be without DP as an easy way out strategy.
We made an expansion and it is awesome. Really, you should check it out, especially if you're looking for some extra challenge.

Download over at ddmod.weebly.com!
The Avatar

Postby General_Milky on Sat Nov 11, 2017 8:34 pm

Joke's on you, I never really used DP as a way out of Unstable anyway because I had no idea how it worked and was always afraid it'd kill me!

These changes ultimately sound for the better, ESPECIALLY if they help squash the annoying Reflex crash associated with the new traits. Not much else to really say on this update, other than RBS is looking more than ever to be the way to go in Flooded Foundry, it's either that or manage a load of Golem Arbiters. Unstable has effectively removed itself as a way to pop frostburn stacks and that's pretty big, as far as I'm concerned.
General_Milky

Postby The Avatar on Sun Nov 19, 2017 1:49 pm

Protective Blessing
Trying to get this picture delayed us for a day. Sorry!

This update is more of a teaser than anything (I don’t like this trend of them getting shorter and shorter…), and there will not be an update next week due to Thanksgiving plans. Fortunately, the update after Thanksgiving will be a nice surprise. I promise! Anyways, onto the main topic.

Protective Blessing is one of the new traits coming in the East, and its quite a bit different from anything else, because a monster with Protective Blessing X% gains no direct benefit from the trait. Instead, all other monsters within a 5x5 square centered on the blesser gain Protected X% (X being the same number as earlier). Additionally, if a monster is in the range of multiple blessings, the Protected percentages stack (which can allow a two monsters with Protective Blessing to boost each other, and double boost monsters between them).

Protected acts exactly like extra physical and magical resistance, with two exceptions: 1. It cannot be eroded by BYSSEPS, Binlor, Cursed Cutlass, or any traditional resist reduction methods (although RBS can still circumvent it). 2. The provided magic resist only affects magic damage, and NOT cast success chance for glyphs like IMAWAL, WEYTWUT, or WONAFYT. Fortunately, the Protected trait is not permanent. It can be removed by either killing the monster with Protective Blessing (easier said than done, in some cases) or by moving either party out of range (although moving the Protected Blessing monster may suddenly make new monsters Protected if you aren’t careful).

In the spirit of keeping these spoiler-light, I’m not going to name any monsters with this trait or explain any of the circumstances in which it is used, but know that it usually ends up being a pretty meaningful consideration. Alright, that’s all for now, folks! Enjoy Thanksgiving if that’s a thing for you, and look forward to what we’ll have to share when we come back.
We made an expansion and it is awesome. Really, you should check it out, especially if you're looking for some extra challenge.

The Avatar

Postby General_Milky on Sun Nov 19, 2017 11:23 pm

Some positioning based gameplay outside of knockback? Looking great! Of course, it relies on the dungeon generation to make or break it, but I'm looking forward to the situations this trait may bring to the table, including the boss I just KNOW will be giving 90% resists to surrounding monsters.

That dungeon looks strange for the East, looks more like a southern dungeon. It's looking like it'd instead be a class challenge, but from the peek given, it looks like a Transmuter, given the squished sprite doesn't have the purple coloration and the position of Lemmisi on the first slot. So maybe it really is an Eastern dungeon, modeled after Wizard Bronze? Weird.

Happy Thanksgiving to you all, and obviously I'm looking forward to the "nice surprise" shown later!
General_Milky

Postby silverkitty23 on Sun Nov 19, 2017 11:26 pm

silverkitty23

Postby choongmyoung on Mon Nov 20, 2017 5:41 am

Oh, I'm gonna really like that mechanism. Great. I guess a boss which spawns protective blessing minions will rip me apart.
Aaaaand... IMAWAL
choongmyoung

Postby The Avatar on Sun Dec 03, 2017 7:52 pm

Art n’ Stuff
Now its your job to reach the rainbow.

Well the break was nice, but now we’re back, bigger and better than ever. And yes, I mean that quite literally. I’d like to take this week to introduce you to our third team member: Everyone please give your utmost thanks, praise, and [INSERT POSITIVE FEEDBACK] to Spleen!

Spleen is a fairly regular member here on the QCF forums, so I’m sure more than a few of you know him (and his terrifyingly efficient speed running skills). Coincidentally, he also happens to be good at digital art and approached us a while back about art for the mod. Ever since then he’s been working from the shadows, beautifying the upcoming update with new sprites and more.

So what effect will this have in the immediate term? The Eastern update will include on-map dungeon completion indication (the standard silver, gold, rainbow fare). There will also be some new art sprinkled throughout other more minor areas, such as items and monsters. However, the biggest improvement is the magician! The magician will have a full slate of brand new male sprites and portraits, and you can see the portraits right now if you want to: https://imgur.com/a/sOfxI. As for the long term, all of the new classes should eventually have new art.

Alright, there’s our big announcement (for now). Although it may not have the largest effect on this next update, as Spleen joined midway through its development, it has big ramifications on the final product and future stuff. Also, collecting rainbows is now a thing again, so that’ll be nice for my fellow completionists. Well, time is inching ever closer to the release, but for now I will just say “Until next week!”

The Avatar

Postby General_Milky on Sun Dec 03, 2017 8:32 pm

Congrats to Spleen! The Magician portraits are looking good.

Seems the update is really growing into something a bit more professional than "just" a mod. The Extreme North shocked everyone (well... except the guys on the beta, which I assume is most of the old regulars here. Whatever. I speak of the casual audience!) with new, interesting modded content to play that gave new life to an excellent game, and Extreme East seems to be pushing the standards from merely a mod to a full blown real "DLC." Just about everything's getting an upgrade, it seems... By the time the entire game is finished, we may as well have a full blown Desktop Dungeons 2 sitting here, on top of and merged with the original game!

I'm relieved to see (or assume, I guess, given the lack of any mention of such a thing) that the "reward" for rainbowing an Extreme Edition dungeon is just a fancy new graphic to show it's been done, rather than a tangible reward. The idea of a real reward was interesting, but it sort of scared me, too. It'd be tedius to rainbow dungeons "for" something other than simple player satisfaction.

Still awaiting release, but it seems closer than ever. I know better than to think that the last sentence was a vague hint that next week is it, but hopefully it drops before Christmas anyway!
General_Milky

Postby choongmyoung on Mon Dec 04, 2017 6:06 am

Oh shoot I love those portraits, they're amazing. Wow. Contragats Spleen!
choongmyoung

Postby The Avatar on Sun Dec 10, 2017 11:10 pm

Prepare Yourself
Come and get some

I'll be straight to the point on this one: Release will be on Friday, December 15th. Details on download and installation will be included with our release post.

The Avatar

PreviousNext

Return to Desktop Dungeons