[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 120: preg_filter(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
QCF Design Community • View topic - Brainstrom about special or edge cases

Brainstrom about special or edge cases

All things Desktop Dungeons

Brainstrom about special or edge cases

Postby choongmyoung on Mon Nov 20, 2017 7:21 pm

...that your perspective about things collapses there. Just for fun. And who knows, this might lead you to some sparkling and devious idea. I'm quite curious about how many ideas will come out.

I'd like to start with: getting health booster being worse for your character. Because desecrating Dracul will permanenty grant -9 max health for lv1 character, and -10 for the same character which caught one health booster.

Also, preparing EM in Shifting Passages can be better than finding her. Because that extra plants can spawn on wall forming tiles, preventing walls from forming. (From one of my lastest plays)
choongmyoung

Re: Brainstrom about special or edge cases

Postby General_Milky on Tue Nov 21, 2017 12:05 am

I once deliberately took weakness stacks as vampire to make bloodcows out of monsters I was one shotting otherwise.

...I'm not good enough at the game to contribute much more than that in this thread. Best I got otherwise was the time I prepped EM as a rogue, swapped to Tikki Tooki, then went around dodging plants for mad piety gain being another example of a prep penalty working to one's advantage.
General_Milky

Postby Unidentified Tower on Tue Nov 21, 2017 12:23 am

If your popcorn isn't slowed, desecrating Tikki Tooki will enable them to give you lots of extra resistances from Body Pact. (Works best if you prepped extra apothecaries and can easily grab a Fortitude Tonic.)
Unidentified Tower

Postby choongmyoung on Tue Nov 21, 2017 6:36 pm

choongmyoung

Postby Spleen on Tue Nov 21, 2017 7:24 pm

Edge cases I've had in Hoarder runs:

Descecrating Dracul to deactivate my Vampiric Blade so I can take GG heals and not get punished.
Descecrating GG to clear my inventory so I can purchase a Keg o'Health and eek out the last hits on the boss.
Taking Blood Tithes to lower my maximum health so I could cast CYDSTEPP.
Taking a third Blood Hunger to lower my resistances so I gained enough mana off a Schadenfreude hit.
Taking Blood Swell as a Crusader for the same reason, retaining the Platemail slowness so I could get mana off popcorn.
And of course a host of small things with Blood Curse such as increasing APHEELSICK/BURNDAYRAS effectiveness, assassin one-shots, gaining the first hit on an enemy, but those are a lot less 'edge'.
Spleen

Postby AvovA17 on Sun Feb 24, 2019 5:00 pm

* Taking Learning can be bad for you, because it can decrease the # of fireballs you can cast via Blue Bead.

Example: you have 4/15 mana, 3 L1 mobs left, unslowed. 3 xp shy of a level up. Bleaty. Nothing else left. fireballs cost 6.

Without learning: Kill 2 mobs, cast 1 fireball. Kill the third one, ding, 15 mana. 2 more fireballs, 3 in total.
With Learning: Kill 1, 5 mana only. Kill 1 more, you ding. 15 mana. You can only cast 2 fireballs.

* Corroding yourself can be beneficial if you are doing the self-cannon.
Correction: I tried it, and it does not work. It is a bug :)
AvovA17

Return to Desktop Dungeons