Extreme East Spoiler and Discussion Thread

All things Desktop Dungeons

Re: Extreme East Spoiler and Discussion Thread

Postby kenait on Tue May 22, 2018 12:27 am

Any help in solving 6th part of the riddle? I don't even know where to begin.

Also, thanks for awesome mod, that's really reignited my interest in this game some time ago.
kenait

Postby Byron Krane on Wed May 23, 2018 4:23 am

Could I get a hint on part 4?
Tried:
Spoiler: show
Agbaar's Academy: Courting Death - clear while killing the goat
Agbaar's Academy: Healthy Living - (has a ratling that isn't a boss) clear normally?
Byron Krane

Postby The Avatar on Wed May 23, 2018 4:48 am

The first guess is in the right spot and has the right target, but there’s one more condition. Also, instead of the quest just clearing when you exit that place, you have to check what pops up on the map when you kill the target (under the right condition) to clear the quest.
We made an expansion and it is awesome. Really, you should check it out, especially if you're looking for some extra challenge.

Download over at ddmod.weebly.com!
The Avatar

Postby Byron Krane on Wed May 23, 2018 4:58 am

Got it, thanks. Apparently I need to type 25 characters though.
Byron Krane

Postby srid on Fri May 25, 2018 9:17 am

Byron Krane wrote:Got it, thanks. Apparently I need to type 25 characters though.

This doesn't sound like something we intended, could you send a screenshot by email to one of the member of the team?
http://ddmod.weebly.com/contact.html

Or just post it there, if you think that it doesn't spoil anything.
We made an expansion and it is awesome. Really, you should check it out, especially if you're looking for some extra challenge.

srid

Postby The Avatar on Fri May 25, 2018 10:16 am

This is a misunderstanding on srid’s part. No need to send a report, and good luck with part 5!

The Avatar

Postby General_Milky on Wed May 30, 2018 3:36 pm

Anyone actually complete the quest yet? I've taken a break from the game pretty much right before the update released so I only went as far as solving the riddles and left the rest for a "later" that probably won't be coming for another month or two.
General_Milky

Postby uugr3 on Sun Jun 10, 2018 3:45 pm

Whew, this mod is crazy good.

One quick question on the last (or at least I hope the last) part of the riddle quest, though -

Am I missing something with the statues in the Gilded Goat fight? The fight as-is right now seems sorta ridiculous without some serious glyph/item conservation from the previous quests, and while I could definitely have gotten a couple items, sparing more than one glyph (which I had as BURNDAYRAZ, but it's possible APHEELSIK or HALPMEH or something could have been better) seems basically impossible. Are you really supposed to just bap at him repeatedly with basically no resources? I have to redo the whole quest series now, and I'd rather not beat my head against the quest if there's an easier way out.
uugr3

Postby The Avatar on Tue Jun 12, 2018 8:41 am

uugr3 wrote:Whew, this mod is crazy good.

One quick question on the last (or at least I hope the last) part of the riddle quest, though -

Am I missing something with the statues in the Gilded Goat fight? The fight as-is right now seems sorta ridiculous without some serious glyph/item conservation from the previous quests, and while I could definitely have gotten a couple items, sparing more than one glyph (which I had as BURNDAYRAZ, but it's possible APHEELSIK or HALPMEH or something could have been better) seems basically impossible. Are you really supposed to just bap at him repeatedly with basically no resources? I have to redo the whole quest series now, and I'd rather not beat my head against the quest if there's an easier way out.

First congrats on making it to the final (hopefully epic) part of the final (hopefully epic) fight of the quest. As for your question, there's a spoiler below with an answer, then a few specific options, and then finally detailed strategy tips for the whole thing (as improving efficiency over the course of the run can make the ending pretty easy). Reveal sections as you see fit:

Yes, you are missing something, although it's nothing hidden. Protective Blessing relies on being within range of 2 to a monster to apply its effect. You can abuse this fact, or simply find a way to eliminate them efficiently.

As for a handful of specific strategies that work:

1. PISORF is your go to in terms of reliability, since Binlor is a guaranteed spawn in part 2. On top of allowing you to push the statues away from the boss, PISORF is also just more effective for Orc Crusaders than BURNDAYRAZ and also allows more flexibility in target choosing in part 3. I can win with extreme consistency if I go Binlor in part 2 and swap my BURNDAYRAZ for the complementary PISORF. If it spawns in part 1 and you can spare it, you can blow off Binlor for a more high power god like TT in part 2.

2. IMAWAL, if it spawns, will make mincemeat (if petrification can be called mincemeat-making) of the statues.

3. A sufficiently powerful build can kill all 8 pretty reasonably if you prep burn salve and fortitude, pick up a fortitude in the first part, and then pick up one more of each in the second. This usually requires going TT instead of Binlor for part 2 to rack up a full set of Quicksilver+Reflex for refills.

4. WEYTWUT technically works, but is not recommended. PISORF is more efficient and always collectible, but if you use WEYTWUT extremely efficiently with TT in part 2 it can end up more effective than PISORF (because it nets you extra Quicksilver+Reflexes). Still usually a bad choice.

However, typically the correct answer is a combination of rearranging/petrifying and killing, assuming you have at least one set of tonic/salve.

Last, here's a semi-comprehensive list of specific strategy tips for all of it which you may find useful, may have figured out, or may want to figure out yourself:

Part 1
- Prep a strength potion. It'll give you a free hit on the boss.
- Apothecary can be a great prep for a second strength and then also the fortitude/burn.
- Given the unique nature of the boss, reaching a high level before fighting him/early in the fight is key. Ideally I start the fight at 6/7 swiftly push to 8 pre-conversions, but starting at 8 can easily work too.
- +Damage is huge here. Prep the attack boosters and buy relevant items. I even use Cursed Cutlass as my locker item, although it is one of many viable locker preps (and not necessarily the best at all)
- It is hugely inefficient to convert a glyph pre-boss or to convert a glyph at CP >= 40.
- Obviously save as many Murkshades as you can to avoid goat issues
- Don't potion
- You can usually squeeze out 1-5 tiles mid-boss, but don't let it make you need an extra hit to kill

Part 2
- Any boss order works, but, since mana is garbage in part 3, Gharbad should be your first target
- Ideally start with Binlor (get Stone Soup, Stone Form, Stone Fist) and convert to TT or just go TT (+EXP, a stack of poison, then all the reflexes)
- Saving B2P from part 1 can be great, but otherwise just pour mana resources into Gharbad with hopefully a double mid-fight level up
- Vince and then Digby should fall next through regen fights
- JJ works as a last second conversion for Chaos Avatar/Last Chance if you need emergency resources
- Converting stuff (especially mana items that won't be worth jack and other good fodder like Viper Ward or Soul Orb) can also serve this purpose
- Try to save as much cash as possible so you can get a full 4 quicksilver/reflex set from TT in addition to your purchases
- Your 3 best purchases are Vampiric Blade, Platemail, and Stone Sigil. Next comes all +damage and health. Everything else is pretty convertable. These are even better than spending the gold for TT piety
- You should ideally leave with 2 small slot sections (3 compressed items, tonics, salves, quicksilvers, reflexes, then leftover potions or useful small items), 1-4 items, and 0-2 glyphs (almost always PISORF, and sometimes an extra like IMAWAL, APHEELSIK, or GETINDARE)

Part 3
- Immediately take 2 lifesteal
- Avoid bankers when possible and level while you accumulate more life steal (3 is expected, 4 is game-winning)
- Reach at least level 9 before descending. Take Blood Curse if you are not close to leveling or are worried about Form 1, but hold off if you think you can do without as the extra stats will be valuable.
- Consensus right before descent to grab blood tithe
- Form 1 is the most troubling one other than Form 4. Push it into a goat with PISORF to get rid of its resists if you kept PISORF. If you have GETINDARE/APHEELSIK, feel free to use them, but PISORF is highest priority this form. Use Quicksilver/Reflex if necessary to refill, as well as the goats for blood and XP. Keep 7s alive as if your damage is low they are refillable.
- Forms 2 and 3 should drop with simple regen fighting, although lower damage builds may need to use goats for blood. A GETINDARE or APHEELSIK will make them easily killable with any build, while PISORF helps very little.
- Form 4 is it's own beast. Use PISORF and a level 1 goat to alternate the shield when possible like with Form 1.
- Deal with the statues using one of the above listed strategies. If you think you might want to kill a statue, kill it before damaging the boss, as once the next one warps in that'll be very hard.
- If you've played efficiently and brought the proper resources, he should fall! Don't forget the level 7 goats as reusable blood cows, blood pools, and blood swells. Also, your quicksilver/reflexes will fully-and-then-over heal you, so use them when you're low for both damage and refill.

For the record, proper planning allows this challenge to be won with large amounts of leeway. I've completed it fully feeling parched (all 3 parts) and it could be done purist with some luck (although if you veto all of the non-good-CP-value mage items your odds of acquiring 2 of the big 3 items goes through the roof).

Whew, that was longer than originally planned. Hope it helps, and it'd be great to hear how your winning run goes/see an ending screenshot when you get it!

The Avatar

Postby srid on Wed Jun 13, 2018 12:12 pm

kenait wrote:Any help in solving 6th part of the riddle? I don't even know where to begin.

I apologize, I missed your comment a while ago...
I hope you found the solution to that last riddle (actually, with some luck you can even find it accidentally).
If not, please ping us again and we will give you some more pointers.

For the rest, The Avatar gave a pretty good strategy guide, that should be enough to complete the last challenge,
we hope you'll like the reward too...

And thanks for the thanks, it means a lot to us!

srid

PreviousNext

Return to Desktop Dungeons