[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 390: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 120: preg_filter(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 120: preg_filter(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
QCF Design Community • View topic - Extreme East Spoiler and Discussion Thread

Extreme East Spoiler and Discussion Thread

All things Desktop Dungeons

Re: Extreme East Spoiler and Discussion Thread

Postby zayyeh on Mon Dec 18, 2017 11:20 am

We made an expansion and it is awesome. Download over at ddmod.weebly.com.
zayyeh

Postby choongmyoung on Mon Dec 18, 2017 7:55 pm

I just cleared the Frozen Peak quest (that Crusader one) and oh wow it's awesome. I used to hate frostbites (and I might re-hate it at later point) but it was really, really smart. I thought it would be too difficult (Miser + Hoader + Parched plus alpha at the same time?)

Before this dungeon, the default solution to any difficult dungeon was stacking resistances. If you can stack your resistance around 50% you score an easy win. But this dungeon is very different - it makes damage reduction much favorable over resistance, which basically means Platemail over Dragon Shield. I felt like I was playing a Vampire which is my favorite monster class, and because of this I really enjoy the mechanic. Also the optimization of caring about the frostbite was delightful to do.

However I can't imagine how this dungeon will transform into a frozen nightmare when I don't have platemail. (I actually hadn't noticed that 0 damage will remove the debuff while playing Extreme North.) I also tried to get enough damage reduction to auto-win the boss but it was super difficult and required a plenty of scumming.

Another quest there was done by acid caster approach so that I didn't had to kill anybody (but petrify them). But hey, did you intentionally make a caster build awful there? Evading nasty debuffs by fireball or knockback had been a good idea. But here, the boss is quite tanky plus magic resistances plus that monsters lying around blabla so that it makes caster approach much less attractive over standard hybrid. If you did so, I think it was a good design approach.

By the way, how about giving some god boons with new traits? For example, Cleansing removing one stack of frostbite, or Chaos Avatar removing 20% of protective blessing.
choongmyoung

Postby The Tapir on Mon Dec 18, 2017 9:58 pm

The Tapir

Postby zayyeh on Mon Dec 18, 2017 11:17 pm

zayyeh

Postby Bwrgarbl on Tue Dec 19, 2017 6:40 am

Bwrgarbl

Postby General_Milky on Tue Dec 19, 2017 7:26 am

To hell with what I just said! I just decided to do all the Investigations region by region, with all the vicious dungeons being put in their own section too. I'll post about each of those separately.

So first as a general note, I've been having a blast with the Investigations. They really steal the show, to be honest. While not quite AS interesting as the core 6 dungeons featured here, they expand the game in such a way to make "extreme edition" live up to its name. Every dungeon, all of them, now has an "extreme" variant, changing the game in exactly the sort of way the Vicious Token should have from the beginning, even if the vicious token still may be, generally, harder. That's why you stack them if you REALLY hate yourself! Anyway, I'll once again write about my thoughts about each of them, which I decided to do because the changes and difficulty vary and it's worth discussing each. I'll be numerically rating them out of five in difficulty and fun, with a 1 being typical bronze challenge/snoozefest, 3 being high end Hard dungeon/average dungeon and 5 being VGT/amazing.

The True Lord
Difficulty: 4
Fun: 3

Deadly Investments/Vicious Capital
Difficulty: 3

Ultradoom!?
Fun: 4

The Guantlet
Fun: 2

Unbalanced

Difficulty: 3-5

Next, the North!
General_Milky

Postby zayyeh on Tue Dec 19, 2017 8:26 am

zayyeh

Postby Bwrgarbl on Tue Dec 19, 2017 4:47 pm

Bwrgarbl

Postby General_Milky on Tue Dec 19, 2017 8:47 pm

Mopped up the north. Starting to feel it was a bad idea to talk of all of these as if they're all their own dungeon, but hey. Who else will listen to my thoughts if not this thread?

Musty Magic
Difficulty: 2

United We Stand
Difficulty: 2-5

Floodgates

Dimensional Dissonance

Well, those were all pretty tough. Except Northern Desert. That one is easy as pie. Onward to the West.
General_Milky

Postby General_Milky on Tue Dec 19, 2017 11:28 pm

Tore through the West. This is moving much faster than I figured. Overall, the West's investigations were all pretty easy, I nailed every single one in the first try They were, however, all very cool! With one exception, and even then its only crime is it didn't change enough to feel fresh.

High Tide
Difficulty: 2

River Revenge

Rat in a Maze
Fun: 5

Blood Brothers: