Extreme East Spoiler and Discussion Thread

All things Desktop Dungeons

Re: Extreme East Spoiler and Discussion Thread

Postby srid on Mon Apr 09, 2018 7:03 am

You are right, maya, these are bugs. Thank you for reporting them.
I don't see how the sub dungeon could not spawn at all, but the fact that it could spawn
under one of the bosses seems possible. I'll fix that.

Also, I can tell you that the Troll is probably the most powerful class to beat Curious Troll Lab,
if you find the right strategy (or should I say exploit?) you can even beat it with the Vicious Token too.

Don't worry for Phantom Citadel, all the crashes have been fixed now. Including the one caused by plants, I made sure of that.

Concerning Curious Frigid Battlefield, yes they are all linked together. Good luck!

And for Curious Slime Pit. I confirm that the mystery meat not gaining poison, corrosion etc. is intentional.
I'm only the code-executor of The Avatar's will, so I don't know for sure why, but it make sense to me as these
blue guys are already much nastier than the other mobs of the dungeon. In particular mana burn + poison + corrosion
and their huge health would make them really annoying I guess.
We made an expansion and it is awesome. Really, you should check it out, especially if you're looking for some extra challenge.

Download over at ddmod.weebly.com!
srid

Postby maya on Mon Apr 09, 2018 8:32 am

just a quick note as well. anytime that you completely fill the map with plants on an expansion map the game will run into an error and provide a pop up. I noticed this when trying to replicate the old bug (the straight up crash) on any map other than phantom, luckily the answer is no. I do know that it is possible to avoid this as the regular maps do not have this problem but this is insignificant.

also are you meant to instantly die upon exploring too much in curious peak because the text made it seem like that was the case but it wasn't and I was surprised.
maya

Postby The Avatar on Mon Apr 09, 2018 9:07 am

You are supposed to die. Did you have a DP? That used to save your life, but I was under the impression the issue was fixed. Either way, we'll look into it and it'll be fixed in the patch which brings the bonus quest line (along with the other little things you've mentioned).

Also, to just briefly explain the mystery meat: The decision is half game balance and half joke. First, as srid points out, they'd be even more untargetable if they also got buffed. By not getting the buffs, they slowly become a more and more inviting option as other monsters power up, creating interesting choices. Simultaneously, it's a joke about how certain questionable meats (like McDonald's hamburgers, for example) don't really rot.
We made an expansion and it is awesome. Really, you should check it out, especially if you're looking for some extra challenge.

The Avatar

Postby maya on Mon Apr 09, 2018 11:54 am

ah I see I totally missed that joke then. in answer to your question the answer is no I just took in a transmuter and used leemsi until it manaburned me and started collecting the rest of the black space and saw some text that described the character dying but never died. later runs I used crusader for testing because manaburn and it appears that no matter how many tiles are collected the character will not die. I even tried collecting the last ones one by one to see if it was exact measurement. do you have access to look at the base code because if you do then can't you just modify the code from spider temple?

also any tips on monk in frigid battlefield? I just failed a run where I tried using avatar codex (and went really well until I started fighting the bosses) and I just do not understand how I am meant to kill the memory of east or level up at all (which is why I tried codex but I think elf was + mystera was overboard) due to the fact all enemies hate you (fast regen, frostbite, magic dmg and curse on all but 1 enemy type). the only enemy that normal monk likes is the kinsman (priestess is not the worst but still not good) and I just don't know how unless going orc instead of elf makes a massive difference.

edit: can you make it impossible for the bosses on frigid battlefield to spawn within 2 of each other because I just scouted one (for research purposes luckily) and found no movement items/ glyhps and them sitting beside each other. this unquiely enough has happened to me twice now (the first time I had pissorf so I was ended up winning). it would just make me feel better knowing this cannot happen.
maya

Postby srid on Mon Apr 09, 2018 6:07 pm

Thanks again maya!

The curious Everfrost Pike is clearly bugged. It was surprising for us because we did test it thoroughly and it worked for us. The reason why it worked for us and not for you is in fact BECAUSE I did use the code from spider temple and it was interacting with our debug mode.

Concerning the 2 bosses of Frigid Battlefield being close, I understand your pain. We'll see what we can do.

As for the monk, I'm not very good with them. Perhaps an Orc monk with Fido?

srid

Postby maya on Tue Apr 10, 2018 1:50 am

maybe but the problem is that three of the mobs have magic attack (meaning it is nearly impossible to take a hit from them) and a different one has frostbite so I then only end up having two good targets to fight and considering it is a maze I possibly won't find them. also it still doesn't really help the problem of east and having to take 8 hits from him (or more if regen fought) just to get to the death protections. also I need to complete troll lab again as I forgot to locker Fido so yeah.
maya

Postby General_Milky on Tue Apr 10, 2018 5:18 am

You could try a pissorf strat.

When I completed this quest, before the bosses had Protective Blessing, it was -obscenely easy- to pissorf the bosses to death against one another. Since then, they were given the blessing, but had their health reduced to compensate, which means that pissorf strats should still work reasonably well despite the nerf. Take an orc monk, prep Binlor and stuff to help you level up, buy mage gear, and as long as you can get to level 6/7 with a midfight level, 2 schadenfrudes, and other forms of magic (crystal ball and a convert into Mystera/JJ, backed by a desecration of Binlor, are wonderful finds. Or you can prep Mystera and just hope for Pissorf naturally) you should be able to take the bosses down despite their blessing, between Pissorf and your normal attacks.

Gotta admit that I've not tested this since their change, but if their original form went down so easily to Pissorf that I didn't even need half my restores, their current form should go down to pissorf if you throw all you got at them.
General_Milky

Postby srid on Tue Apr 10, 2018 7:43 am

I agree with General_Milky

Prepping Binlor would give you 2 useful glyphs for the labyrinth (and more CP from other glyph conversion).
He could also help you to get some magic resistances, decrease enemies resistances, or just farm piety for your second god. If you are lucky, Mystera, EarthMother or JJ would be really good picks for mana spikes.

Orc would help a lot for increasing Pisorf damage. It is probably more useful than Elf. Then either Fido for more base damage, Dragon Scale to get some starting magic resistances, or something to boost magic power like dragon soul maybe, and perhaps Patches for some more resist and mana.

Also don't hesitate to try out the new version of the Seal of dispersion. If you use it on a mana booster, it refills your mana bar AND your next spell has a NEGATIVE cost (allowing overcharge). For instance casting Cydstep would give you +10 mana and the usual DP, not bad huh?

srid

Postby maya on Tue Apr 10, 2018 9:27 am

this strategy sounds interesting. fido is the better option in my opinion as dragon shield does not help the early levels nearly enough to be worth it and I prefer less random runs so no dragon soul. but now the question becomes though can it deal 600+ dmg (because of 50% resists that cannot be shredded) + 5 extra casts. I think it would be close. also I don't have the seal of dispersion (I haven't bothered much with the north (as the glyphless tinker part broke my spirits the first time so I do not want and put myself through the pain) and I am still waiting on finding the man to get me through the snow) so yeah but sounds cool though and really interesting on a warlord. another good find is trisword as pisorf does not remove the temporary buff (for some reason)

edit: so at first I was a bit skeptical when I saw my damage output but then when I managed to pull together a double level cannon (6 - 7 - 8) I ended up having a mana potion and three hp potions left over with fido still around. I did have earthmother spawn but I am terrible with binlor (and gods in general) so I had no peity left and even provoked binlors punishment. I only found a spoon and dragon soul aswell so I have to say it went better than expected.
maya

Postby General_Milky on Wed Apr 18, 2018 5:11 pm

So anyone give Curious Endless Blizzard a shot? That may just be the single hardest boss in the game right now. I can't even fathom how it's doable without a particularly amazing Rat Monarch build, and even that probably just plain doesn't have the HP to last more than a handful of strikes.
General_Milky

PreviousNext

Return to Desktop Dungeons