Extreme East Spoiler and Discussion Thread

All things Desktop Dungeons

Re: Extreme East Spoiler and Discussion Thread

Postby General_Milky on Sun Jan 14, 2018 1:24 am

Grats! I think you may be the first player to beat it unless some lurker from Steam went and did it where nobody's looking. I haven't really tried it yet because it's quite intimidating. I did a few scout runs to see the boss but haven't even dared gone for it yet.

I've not played for a few days but all I have left to do as far as unique content goes is this and 3 Curious vicious dungeons.
Naga City, Namtar's Lair, and Dragon Isles. ...Oh and I guess some puzzles, but I really don't like doing puzzles. Feels like a chore. I'm not doing those until some solutions are posted and even then I'd only do them to see that little checkmark on the list.
General_Milky

Postby The Avatar on Sun Jan 14, 2018 4:01 am

Well done, Vemb! I think what I love most about your accomplishment is that we have very different builds in both boon order, boss order, and even just boons taken. It always blows my mind how much potential there is in that dungeon (and just DD's God system in general).

Just for the record, the puzzles in this section are designed to be pretty simple and you could probably plow through them just like Agbaar's Academy.
We made an expansion and it is awesome. Really, you should check it out, especially if you're looking for some extra challenge.

Download over at ddmod.weebly.com!
The Avatar

Postby maya on Tue Jan 16, 2018 3:56 am

makiki. the way I beat the challenge was through using the rat monarch. the rat monarch is an extremely effective regen fighter and only needs the ability to take the 144 hit from the boss. this can be done 2 of methods. cydstepp for death protection or hp + resistances through mainly stone skin (this comes from endiswall and binlor). binlor is going to be a major find due to the ability to grant knockback (stone fist) which in most cases can double dmg of the rat monarch and stone skin + endiswall for the resists and he also gives pisorf which is better than fireball for dmg after enough corrossion. shops can also provide mana for the final burst or hp for the regen fighting even if they are not usefull. this build does not work every time as it is highly dependent on what is found (sometimes an instant loss if no way to tank a hit is found) but the same can be said for other strategies.

sorry for wall of text but hope this gives some insight to you
maya

Postby General_Milky on Tue Jan 16, 2018 8:41 am

Sorcerer also makes a pretty good class to win as if mixed with JJ. CA and Health are both incredible boons for this dungeon, even if you will likely need some additional help to get enough health/resistances to take a hit (Witchalock Pendant is pretty much the best possible thing to get) but once you can, you can use a levelup, Chaos Avatar, and possibly even Last Chance to refill your huge mana pool and brawl it out.

A standard Paladin Tank can also do very well with adequate luck. Tower Shield and Dracul can push physical resist to 50% on top of Sanguine and Blood Swells to push your padded healthbar out to the limit, and the very same JJ strat above can also work here if you take a magic boon to get more out of refilling your mana bar. Even Taurog can work out for Paladin pretty well assuming you can make up for the lost mana with good shop pickups.
General_Milky

Postby The Avatar on Tue Jan 16, 2018 9:11 pm

If you do want to try it again with Elf Warlord, I'd recommend sightly different tactics. First off, MA is strictly superior to JJ. You want both Refreshment and Mystic Balance, one shot of mana (maybe 2), and then just enough piety to convert out. Leveling should be incredibly efficient as a warlord (kill a level 3/4 at level 1, a level 5 at level 2, 6 at 3, etc). Tackle the boss at level 6 or 7 depending on whether you can make your popcorn more effective (via TT, EM, WONAFYT, etc) and you should be able to get 2 mid-fight level ups. As for how you should handle the actual fight, use conversions until you get to 20 mana, then use mana potions (the might you get from mana potions will lower the boss' resistances) then go back to conversions. Once you are out of those, convert Gods to someone better (EM, TT, GG, Dracul, and even Binlor will help). Then use mid-fight level ups, your other God's best boons (Clearance, Reflexes, Refreshment, Blood Hunger, and Stone Skin respectively), and your Schadenfreude potion (last, that will maximize damage) and you should have plenty of resources left over. You can get away with far less than is outlined above, but that is the ideal situation. As for shop purchases, anything that boosts mana is great (I even pick up the non-convertible +1 mana pendant), and make sure you save 15 gold for your Schadenfreude. Also, be careful not to pick up too many glyphs as you won't be able to convert them until you start the boss fight (I would only pick up GETINDARE and WONAFYT/IMAWAL/WEYTWUT [one of those 3, prioritizing from left to right]). Hope that helps, although the other strategies above are definitely equally viable.
We made an expansion and it is awesome. Really, you should check it out, especially if you're looking for some extra challenge.

The Avatar

Postby The Tapir on Tue Jan 16, 2018 10:05 pm

Any thoughts on Endless Blizzard purist? I feel like generalist or spellcasters are the best answer to what the dungeon throws at you, but with all the various moving pieces that come with the different floors and bosses it's been hard to get consistent success with one build or the other. Tinker, Thief, Crusader, or wizard were my first thoughts, with a deity path of EM into MA or Dracul or other such bosses, but I'd like some more input.
The Tapir

Postby maya on Wed Jan 17, 2018 12:56 am

crusader seems interesting for the final boss but that's about it, his extra alter he gets probably won't see use, momentum is nice but is completely useless against the first 3 and his other ability (immunity to curse manaburn and poisonous) only opens up some opportunity during leveling for kills.

wizard would be interesting but considering you don't have all glyphs available from the beginning he gets little use out of the small glyphs and glyph searching and transferring into MA on a wizard isn't gonna do much unless your keeping a lot of the glyphs lying around throughout the levels.

tinker sounds interesting as you have a great start with all the shops available immediately which takes away from his major drawback of having to live off shops you find. this also means you could start off really well with a load of items that you want already in the shops or poorly where nothing useful appears but you could just simply restart. to me this looks like the best option you listed.

thief is interesting and seems alright as an option I can't see anything wrong with it and nothing overly special that he brings but at least he seems as if he would have all his perks be useful which is better than most of the other classes.

all I have to say is rat monarch would be interesting. the rat monarch looks as if he would have a wonderful time against all of the final bosses (but riposte seems as if it would do too much dmg to him) the only problem would be getting to the final bosses as I believe the rat monarch will have to walk through hell to get there.

I have next to no ability with using gods so I will leave no comment on what will work and what won't. all I can say is that earthmother doesn't seem that great as there are 6(?) different floors and earth mother sorta likes having only 1 floor.

these are just my thoughts, I might be wrong about crusader and how powerful his starting traits are but from what I have seen crusader basically never stands out as a great pick for places unless he essentially nullifies the point of the dungeon (looking at cursed oasis and ick swamp).
maya

Postby choongmyoung on Wed Jan 17, 2018 4:34 am

How about an Assassin, scummed for TT (Learning) or Dracul (early Blood Curse) plus WONAFYT (for extra exp and TT piety)? Assassin can skip the first two gauntlets, and have poison which is very efficient to riposte and the final boss.
choongmyoung

Postby The Avatar on Wed Jan 17, 2018 5:45 am

Assassin and Tinker are the two I've gotten purist with. Also managed to get Vicous with assassin but that required so much scumming (Yendor+TT+Drac+Troll and Animated Armor as first two bosses) to just scrape by that you're probably better off with a build that resist stacks.

Also, clarification, Riposte is factored off your damage number (not your dealt damage), so corrosion stacks do not increase Riposte damage. Thematically they are using an opening (which is larger if you are taking a bigger swing/throwing a bigger fireball), so it didn't make much sense to add in corrosion (and this way Ray Monarch has a chance vs. Balder).

The Avatar

Postby choongmyoung on Wed Jan 17, 2018 8:53 am

Just for curiosity, does Riposte / Unstable trait deducts HP when hit by being a secondary target of knockback or burn stack pop (from far away)? Themetically they shall not do, I suppose.
choongmyoung

PreviousNext

Return to Desktop Dungeons