[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 390: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
QCF Design Community • View topic - Extreme East Spoiler and Discussion Thread

Extreme East Spoiler and Discussion Thread

All things Desktop Dungeons

Re: Extreme East Spoiler and Discussion Thread

Postby srid on Sat May 12, 2018 9:02 am

@The Tapir: I can assure you that the quest description bug is just a display bug, and there is no way it could be related
to your not being able to free the sacrifice. If it were pacifist all the time, how could it be not saved?

About the quest description bug:
Due to the way the game is coded, I had to do some hack to get the proper description we wanted, except that the hack is canceled when the player restart the game and loads a saved file, which we forgot to check properly before the release.
We fixed it and will make a new hotfix release soon.

If you find any other bug, please tell us so that we can fix it quickly and ship it along.

In my opinion the 3rd part seems to be the hardest, I wish good luck to all of you!
We made an expansion and it is awesome. Really, you should check it out, especially if you're looking for some extra challenge.

Download over at ddmod.weebly.com!
srid

Postby General_Milky on Sat May 12, 2018 6:10 pm

Part 2's the roughest in my book. Fighter Gold isn't necessarily -hard- if you're running a goblin and using slayer wands to skip annoying mini-bosses, but it's tricky when you're an elf. Add onto that that there's another, (thankfully MUCH weaker) boss to take out even after the normal one (meaning it's not enough to just win, you must overkill it enough to have a good 3-ish attacks still left in you), and you've got a real challenge on your hands.

Other steps may be harder to figure out, but as far as execution's concerned, part 2 takes the cake for sure.
General_Milky

Postby The Avatar on Sun May 13, 2018 6:23 am

Part 2 is substantially easier if you save the slayer wand until the true end though, just a tip.

More importantly, the quest display bug (and one other minor bug in Curious VGT) have been hotfixed. So either run the launcher to autoupdate or head back to the website/trello to get the most recent build if the bugs are nagging you.
We made an expansion and it is awesome. Really, you should check it out, especially if you're looking for some extra challenge.

The Avatar

Postby maya on Tue May 15, 2018 10:59 am

all I have to say is just why for part three. I beat it but still just why. do you wanna see the world burn or something
also I only partly understand the 5th clue because I have no idea what the last clause means. I'm fairly certain I know the rest of it but that last clause stumps me
maya

Postby The Avatar on Wed May 16, 2018 7:48 am

Heh, it makes for a unique run if nothing else! Although if you don't use standard tactics it really isn't challenging per se. As for the fifth clue, the top half is all you need to go on. Assuming you pick the right target, you'll run into the second half on the run as a matter of course. Whether you'll win that run or not? We'll see...

The Avatar

Postby maya on Fri May 18, 2018 9:49 am

ok maybe I don't get it but I think I do but my idea did not work twice so maybe I don't? confused yet?

maya

Postby The Avatar on Fri May 18, 2018 10:21 am

You've got the right target, but are you sure you're in the right location? If you're not tackling the full challenge to fight the true version of the monster then you won't run into it. I just ran it off the copy current released and it is working, so I assume you're tackling the easy way. Furthermore, you definitely won't miss it once you get to the right spot. It's a pretty explicit prompt with no conditions and it--like all the others--is not a normal occurrence for the dungeon.

Also, bring your best shot for this one reach the target with plenty to spare. His curse isn't to be trifled with.

The Avatar

Postby maya on Fri May 18, 2018 11:28 am

"sigh" well then would this be a bad time to say I have never completed or tried to complete vgt? I still have the quest to complete dark souls just sitting there. I never tried to complete it because I thought I should complete a run of namtar first (which has only been done by a orc wizard till this day) and the fact that I generally never use gods and haven't learnt to use them very well. I hear that vampire and paladin are considered very good so maybe one of them.
maya

Postby The Avatar on Fri May 18, 2018 4:34 pm

Yeah, on top of being two of the best classes there, Paladin and Vampire have two of the simplest runs there (due to not having to worry about any God shenanigans). I'd probably recommend Human Paladin for your first one. Just make sure you bring Dragon Shield, Patches (for some lucky early resist/mana, then convert), Apothecary, extra attack boosters, compression seal, and perseverance badge. For potions, Whupaz, Burn Salve, Schadenfreude, and then either Fortitude Tonic or Reflex/Quicksilver.

The play is actually pretty simple. Just play regularly, conserving as much blackspace as possible. Take Consensus and Body Pact when you find the Pactmaker. Once you've found both EM and Dracul (and you really need more resists to keep efficiently fighting) worship Drac, take Blood Shield, Blood Tithe, smash EM, take Blood Tithe again. At least that's what I did to clear both VGT and the added quest, although I'd decline the quest the first time you run through things. It's a very different dungeon, so get used to it the regular way before you tack on the added challenge effect.

The Avatar

Postby srid on Sat May 19, 2018 4:36 pm

VGT is frightening but not that hard once you get used to it.

I learned a lot by watching videos from choongmyoung like this one:
Purist Vampire: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ox2U2LF ... gmyoungLee
Purist Human Rogue: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qVE9adh ... gmyoungLee

Of course I don't recommend going purist for your first try though, but there is a few things that you need to know:

Recommended classes:
Vampire, Rogue, Paladin

Recommended races:
Human:
Physical attack is generally more potent that magic here, because most of the challenge will happen at high level and you will get plenty free CP.

Recommended Preps:
- Dragon Shield is almost always the best prep there, and resistances in general give a huge boost.
- For potions, I generally take health, mana, burn salve and fortitude tonic. There are many items to pick up there so not replacing health and mana potions with other ones might clog up your inventory.
Burn salve and fortitude tonic are mandatory for me as you will get some weakening and corrosion.
- Perseverance badge (because you need inventory space and damage)
- Attack Booster (more damage)
- Compression seal (inventory space)
- Patches can be very strong, especially for vampires and crusaders. Don't hesitate to toss it if it puts you at risk of getting screwed (no more health or mana potion left to cure Mana Burn or Poison)

Recommended Glyphs:
Beware that some glyphs are very useful only at the end, so it might be worth it to leave them on the floor and pick them only when you reach the end.
- Byceps is the most useful glyph against Horatio, it will help you remove its 50% resistances
- Second useful glyph against Horatio is Endiswal combined with Binlor's Stone Form, I'll elaborate on Binlor below. Endiswal also gives you interesting resistances if you have nothing better to spend mana on.
- Getindare is extremely powerful for the tower ascension, especially with High damage character, basically it gives you ~100 damage for 3 mana, plus the occasional dodge
- Halpmeh is super useful, removes poison and fuel your high physical damage.
- Weytwut can be useful if you don't find Gettindare, it provides a similar effect, only much more expensive, with the added benefit of working on bosses with first-strike.
- Burndayraz is useful in some occasions, but the higher you climb in the tower, the less useful it becomes, because it doesn't scale as much as your damage
- Imawal, Wonafyt are useful in the beginning, to level up faster and gather popcorn, they're almost useless afterwards (Wonafyt can become useful again after you reach level 10 if you have neither Getindare nor Weytwut, but I almost never went this road)
- Cydstepp, if nothing else is available, works more or less as an even more expensive version of Weytwut and Getindare, useful if you didn't find those. Otherwise cast and convert (don't cast if you're worshipping Dracul or TT of course)
- Pisorf is not super useful either, if you have nothing better you might want to keep it to farm piety easily when you'll worship Binlor
- Apheelsick, Bloodtupowa, Lemmisi are generaly convert-on-sight there

Recommended Gods:
- GG is probably one of the best god to start with here, take a few absolution when you start, and you'll quickly be able to kill mobs 3 or 4 levels higher than you. Leveling up is then very easy, take Humility just before killing a high level mob for even more bonus XP, and when you reach level 10 you'll be effectively a lvl 11, and have plenty of piety to convert out to the next god. This is especially effective with a Human Rogue, Cleansing is also very effective to remove the occasional Mana Burn or Poison, but most of all to deal massive damage to physically resistant bosses (thanks to Consecrated Strike), try not to waste piety on Protection and don't drink potions of course
- TT can be a very good god to start too, but be sure to convert out early enough to not get stuck losing piety against tank bosses
- Dracul is most of the time the mandatory god to finish the tower and especially Horatio, with the number of blood pools laying around, Blood Tithe will give you plenty of health and piety. Blood Shield will boost your resistances even further. Don't take Blood Hunger if your resistances are above 50%, and don't forget to use Blood Swell as a last resort, if you have popcorn left to remove the curse.
- Binlor is the other mandatory god to finish Horatio, if you didn't find Byceps, you MUST convert to Binlor at some point (preferably once you already reached level 10), with enough piety to get Endiswal, then farm some piety to get Stone Form, maybe Stone Fist if your not too close to the end, and it will help you farm even more piety, and then convert out (possibly at 100 piety) to get your next god, generally Dracul. Don't forget that one level of the tower gives you two Wall Crushers, that can be used to get 20-30 free piety for Binlor. Once you have Stone Form, the first steps of your fight against Horatio should be focused on destroying walls to get might and reduce Horatio resistances.
- Taurog is a nice god to pass by if you can, just to get +15 physical resistances, the rest is generally not worth it as your inventory will be full already
- Earthmother is not super useful and is really dangerous here, as it can block some stairs. But she is very useful for desacrating her altar just before you quaff the burn salve (don't do this before you took the Golden Statue down, though)
- Pactmaker: usually I don't take Consensus unless I really need more piety, but if you have enough piety (eg from GG or Binlor), Body Pact or Warrior Pact are very good picks. Depending on my level of resistance, I tend to favor Warrior Pact because it will mean more health from blood pools at the end with Dracul.
- Mystera and JJ are not very interesting there, I only take them in very situational cases.

Items:

Good items to buy are:
- Viper Ward / Soul Orb: small and protects your from poison and mana burn, can be tossed for the last fight for more CP. Viper Ward is not useful if you have Halpmeh, but Soul Orb is a very good find as several bosses have mana burn.
- Stone Sigil: small and plenty of piety
- Dragon Soul: small and plenty of mana, good for spellcasters mostly
- Piercing Wand: if you didn't get Byceps and want to skip the Binlor phase
- Cursed Sword: even better, but only in the Extreme Edition only, lucky you!
- Agnostic Colar: not that great if you remember to crash the Earthmother altar properly, great if you didn't
- Trisword: gives good damage for the last boss, especially if you're human
- Vampiric Blade: very good, don't buy it if your worshipping GG
- Witchalok Pendant: not bad if you have burndayraz, and it's small
- Platemail: not good if you have a first strike, okay otherwise, but remember that unlike lifesteal, damage reduction are removed before the resistances are applied, so when you have 50% resistances, it effectively only reduces 1 damage per level, not 2. Can be good to pick just for Horatio though.
- Troll heart can be good too if you take it at level 1.

I'm sure other EE items might be great too, but I'm not used to run VGT with them.

The enemies:
Some special bosses needs to be accounted for:

Golden Statue (weakens and corrodes) and Illusion (weakens and retaliate: fireball), don't drink your fortitude tonic before you got both
Dragon Elite: cursed. Because of this one you need to make sure that you have enough popcorn
Bridge Troll: can be quite tough in the upper levels, but gives you 300 free CP

Don't hesitate to regen-fight a little, just to get the extra health you need to finish bosses, and try to waste the least possible resources,
and you should go through easily.

Well, I hope this extensive guide will help you, don't hesitate to watch the videos to get more useful insight.
For the riddle, don't hesitate to answer NO the first few times, just to get better acquainted with it.

The vampire run is a bit special, but one of the easiest if you are lucky with your blood cows and manage them well.

Good luck, if you've been this far you can clearly do it.

srid

PreviousNext

Return to Desktop Dungeons