[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 390: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 120: preg_filter(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 120: preg_filter(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
QCF Design Community • View topic - Extreme East Spoiler and Discussion Thread

Extreme East Spoiler and Discussion Thread

All things Desktop Dungeons

Re: Extreme East Spoiler and Discussion Thread

Postby The Avatar on Fri Sep 28, 2018 1:47 pm

We made an expansion and it is awesome. Really, you should check it out, especially if you're looking for some extra challenge.

Download over at ddmod.weebly.com!
The Avatar

Postby Nurator on Fri Sep 28, 2018 2:16 pm

I am looking forward to you reaching pt.2 of the riddle :D that part took me AGES to complete, in my opinion it was harder than VGT. But is still topped by pt.6...

Grr, I also want to tackle other challenges, but I want to beat pt.6 so bad...
Nurator

Postby shade_of_ox on Fri Sep 28, 2018 2:18 pm

@Avatar -
I see, I didn't really take into account the plan to fight the boss at the end, to be honest, so up until now the boss's damage didn't have much significance to me. Actually now that I think about it, I haven't really been fair to this puzzle - I've been mostly playing around with it in my off-time when I'm really too tired to think properly. Even now I'm pretty sleep-deprived - I'll come back in a couple of days when I'm more free and really try it out.

For the record, for now I've only read your first spoiler, so let's see if I can pull it off when I'm more awake. :)

@Nurator -

Well, my first run in VGT was an infinimuter... so hopefully it'll at least be harder than that. :lol:
shade_of_ox

Postby srid on Fri Sep 28, 2018 4:48 pm

We made an expansion and it is awesome. Really, you should check it out, especially if you're looking for some extra challenge.

srid

Postby Nurator on Fri Sep 28, 2018 7:44 pm

Ok I still need more pointers for the final boss fight in part 6...

This time I reached it with a platemail, 2 lifesteal, 15% resists, corroding strike and a poisonous dagger, so overall not bad for a regen fight. Also I had 4 reflex potions and 2 dodge potions, sadly the overworld play was pretty weak, thus I went down at the brink of lvl 8. Instantly took blood curse (as the 5 dmg increase is not THAT important, and it increased the other abilities and regeneration).

But somehow, I cant outdamage the boss... the first form went down with 2 reflex potions, the second one was no problem, but I couldnt get down the fast regen one (now at level 10 (9 without dracul)). The combination of ensnare from the one before with fast regen is just evil. Pissorf does nearly nothing, as you damage another enemy. Getting new blackspaces heals the boss for 20 HP each tile, thus directly countering the poisioned dagger.

Any more tipps for this phase? I didnt come close to the final challenge, and my loadout was still pretty good (but not absurdely lucky like last time). Do I also need to get more damage somehow?

@shade_of_ox
Just try it, you will see :D And if you think you finally have it, remember what happened in part 1 when you thought you had it :D
Nurator

Postby shade_of_ox on Sat Sep 29, 2018 5:16 am

OK, completed part 1 of the quest with a completely overprepared Halfling Priest (I got Binlor -> GG -> Dracul and finished parched).

Part 2 looks... rough.
shade_of_ox

Postby The Avatar on Sat Sep 29, 2018 6:49 am

The Avatar

Postby srid on Sat Sep 29, 2018 7:44 am

@Nurator

I haven't played this dreadful quest, but from all the discussions and spoiling I've read, from what I understand if you want
to win the last boss without a Vampire Blade or Plate Mail, you probably need to enter at level 8 with a level catapult ready,
and as much momentum as possible.

Don't forget that you're playing a Crusader and that momentum can easily make your damage skyrocket. With a well-timed Reflex potion, you should be able to deal more than 250 damage (hence making it more efficient than Whupazz).

Also, I disagree with you saying that "the extra 5 damage is not THAT important". Of course, you don't want to get your damage getting too high, or you will one-shot your bloodcows, but with a crusader that already gets free +40% and can easily get +60% more (especially if you brought Byceps), we're talking +10 damage per strike. Compare that with what you get from corrosive strike (your enemies should be killable with ~12-15 strikes here, but you would only get +10 damage for your 11th strike).

Perhaps next time you could list all the items you saw in the shops and we could try discussing what you bought and why?
Same things for glyphs, what did you find, and what did you keep?

Don't underestimate what Byceps and Gettindare can do there.
Especially, Gettindare's dodge bonus means it will bring you several additional free hits. This glyph is probably worth 8 reflex potions: one free hit on each boss form + at least one free hit during the fight, given the length of the fight.
Of course if you get the Platemail the first strike advantage is gone, but the Platemail is even more worth it here, and Gettindare spamming to get free hits from dodge is still clearly worth it here (especially compared to pisorf).
Plus, it makes Fire Heart a very interesting buy, as it will give you free health refills throughout the fights.

Another item prep suggestion: Namtar's Ward. I didn't realise it until I checked today, but unlike TT that gets anger when DP is triggered, Dracul only gets angered by Cydstepp. He doesn't care if you get DP from other means (which is a bit weird thematically, knowing how pissed he was against Namtar).
Namtar's Ward is clearly one of the most powerful item in the game, overpowering Dragon Scale in a large set of circumstances. If you're not used to play with it, you should try some Vicious Dungeon rogue runs with a prepped Namtar's Ward just to get used to it.
Basically it helps tremendously for leveling up, allowing you to easily land 5-6 hits on an enemy, especially when combine with Gettindare and Byceps, which allows you to easily take on +4 lvl enemies. Which means easier level ups, which means more popcorn, which means more momentum and bloodcows for a Crusader of Dracul, which means more easier level ups, etc. Plus it will give you 1 more free hit per level up. against the boss.

Also, I keep insisting that taking Blood Shield there might not be the best strategy compared to taking a third layer of lifesteal. Overall, at level 10, 15% resistances brings you 5 damage less per strike on the boss, but one more lifesteal layer also means that you get 20 more HP regen per blood cow. With three cows, you're looking at a +60HP refill mid-fight, that can maybe even serve a second time (after all, being ensnared means that your cows will heal faster too), plus all the extra health you will get from your level 5 popcorn.

Knowing that form 3 has fast regen, you should probably not care that much about blackspace and instead use that to max your health at 150% and let your cows heal completely before engaging the fight. Perhaps keep a few blackspace to adjust just in case
After dealing your first round of damage, milk your level 7 cows, engage the boss again, then start killing some popcorn to heal and build momentum, use a reflex potion and a dodge potion when your damage is the highest, with overheal you should have enough health to take 2 or 3 strikes, and once your momentum is gone down, with some luck your lvl 7 cows will be back at full health and ready for another round.

Hope this helps, and good luck!

@theAvatar
I wonder if having Halpmeh there is a good move, since Dracul hate that glyph?

srid

Postby Nurator on Sat Sep 29, 2018 8:28 am

Thanks for all the help! Right now, in part 1 I manage to get 2-3 glyphs with me, so I always take BLUDTOPOWA (if I dont find it, I restart) and LEMMISI (for part 2 to not run into Binlor after clearing half the map). If I can take out a third one, most of the time its BYSEPPS, because I use it to need less strikes :D

The second part I have down, sometimes I need 1-2 dodge potions for the weakening boss, but its all fine. However, I mostly convert BLUDTOPOWA and LEMMISI there for the extra XP needed to outlevel the bosses and thus get free hits. With only PISORF at my disposal, I mostly get through part 3 just fine (with 2 platemails I managed to clear everything up), but last time something went wrong, I dont know exactly what^^).

So as a change of strategy, I will try to take some other glyph with me into part 3 and only rely on PISORF to counter the shields and push away statues, good idea! With hopefully 3-4 reflex potions for the final form this should be possible... just have to get a good third part run.

@shade_of_ox : You solved the riddle the right way. Its as hard as you think. Welcome to the extreme edition :D
Nurator

Postby The Avatar on Sat Sep 29, 2018 8:47 pm

Yeah, you definitely need to be bringing one of those three mana sink glyphs (or BYSSEPS as a possible fourth) into the third section. That should also definitely help in allowing you kill everything, which is a must. To amend two things Srid said, I’d prep Fine Sword over Namtar’s Ward simply because extra damage is very valuable in the final fight and, more importantly, level 8 going on 9 is *not* high enough level to descend. Midway through 9 (such that killing the first form and a few goats will level you) or about to level to 10 is the exp count you want to be at. This should be very easy as long as you level efficiently and kill everything, so if you aren’t reaching that point your biggest problem is the above ground in part 3. In addition to how much a glyph will help, make sure you are liberalling using popcorn and mid-fight level ups to score consistent 2+ higher level kills.

As for what I’d recommend dropping for the extra glyph, you probably don’t need the LEMISI. It helps sure, but it isn’t that necessary. Then again, the B2P can also be done without if you have any extra mana support or are willing to blow a quicksilver+reflex on it. Another valid strategy if you find PISORF in part 1 is going TT ASAP in part 2 and then smashing Binlor for an immediate Tikki’s Edge. It nets you the GETINDARE you want, makes 3 mid-fight levels easily doable vs Gharbad, and allows you to take a bunch of quicksilver/reflex by the end. Furthermore, it means you can bring LEMISI and a second mana sink (HALPMEH/APHEELSIK/BYSSEPS) and then still end up with GETINDARE too.

@shade_of_ox: My only advice is that you basically must save a slayer wand until the very end.

The Avatar

PreviousNext

Return to Desktop Dungeons