[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 120: preg_filter(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 120: preg_filter(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
QCF Design Community • View topic - any advice for Goatperson?

any advice for Goatperson?

All things Desktop Dungeons

any advice for Goatperson?

Postby shade_of_ox on Sun Jul 01, 2018 6:38 pm

Hi, long time lurker but first time poster.
I'm a little late to this game but I've been playing a good amount of it - I've rainbowed all dungeons except for the Vicious ones, where I have yet to clear them with Goatperson.
I like to think I'm a decently skilled player, but I can't for the life of me figure out how to use this class correctly. I understand that it's meant to be a challenge class, but it seems like the odds are just stacked too high against him.

My current strat with him is:
Preps:
- yendor since his early game is terrible
- extra glyphs since that way I can convert a WONAFYT or something without wasting a refill, also better chances of finding good glyphs that he needs
- some kind of safety god, EM or Binlor so I can (hopefully) drink potions for the boss fight
- fortitude, burn salve, WHUPAZ and Reflexes
- slayer wand or perseverance badge
- compression seal
- smuggler den

Pop yendor, kill lots of popcorn and maybe a couple of higher level enemies, then go after the boss and hope I have enough refills to kill him (at like level 6 or 7).

This strat worked OK for hard dungeons (and Namtar, somehow) but for the other Vicious dungeons I can't really even come close to winning - the monsters are too hard, I can't make any progress, and I tend to just starve to death before I can even fight any of the bosses.

Does anyone know of a way to play this character effectively? The only other thing I really know about him is converting food for GG piety and/or spirit pact for almost infinite refills, but I've never been able to actually pull that off.
shade_of_ox

Re: any advice for Goatperson?

Postby choongmyoung on Mon Jul 02, 2018 3:17 am

As the class trait says about itself, Goatperson is a luck based class and there's no reliable strategy on it. My standard prep is largely the same with you, but I prefer
* Extra attack boosters over Extra glyphs - I just use one refill to get a big kill. Attack (or other boosters) is better on bursting out of damage on every fight. It's just my playstyle, I never prep more/less glyphs, nor fireball magnet. If I can pre-calculate the bosses' damage, extra health boosters is a great option if it can bring an another hit per refill.
* Translocation seal over Compression seal - Inventory management isn't a big problem, and Translocation seal sometimes make a big difference (such as a platemail)
* Black Market over a Smuggler's den - With yendor I don't see any advantage of a smuggler's den. The extra blackspace consumes extra foods.

Goatperson is hard, yes, but except VGT (can't predict the god, and his damage is terrible compared to humans) it wasn't too bad for me. The playstyle depends on gods, but no-one's really bad for the goatperson. Goatperson should rely on items and boons to gear himself up, and to buy boons you need piety. Always try to farm as much piety as you can.

This is my personal opinion on the dieties.

The Great
* TT - easy to farm piety with many popcorns that Yendor gives. And learning is the best boon for Goatperson.
* JJ - bigger bars = bigger refills. And he can give you a very high piety. CA is the last option if you don't find PM.
* Dracul - Blood curse isn't that bad with Yendor (you don't really need any big kills). All boons are just great, but be aware of EM and GG if there is one.
* Taurog - kill magic and undead (if there's Dracul) popcorns and boom! Buy 1-2 gears.
The Good
* GG - he is generous with piety given that you have spare foods. Boons depend on the situation.
* EM - nothing to do if you don't have IMAWAL. At least plantation is usable if you don't find Dracul, and a single global slow can bring a large amount of XP, at least.
* MA - additional 1-2 max mana is good. Nothing to buy other than that. At least she is safe diety unless there's only magic popcorns left.
The Ignorance
* Binlor - if you don't alreay have ENDISWAL or PISORF, you have nothing to do with him. Buying one is too expensive and you can't farm piety because you'll starve. And there's upcoming doom of -10 piety panelty. If you see Binlor, think about the resists, and if you have resists try to have 10 piety at all times.
choongmyoung

Postby shade_of_ox on Mon Jul 02, 2018 5:59 am

shade_of_ox

Postby srid on Mon Jul 02, 2018 11:55 am

First of all, welcome to the forum and congratulation for rainbowing all Normal and Hard dungeons,
the hardest part is still ahead of you but you certainly did the longest part already.

I did rainbow VGT and Naga City but none of the normal and hards, and the road ahead seems very long...

choongmyoung is too modest to suggest this, but you will learn a lot by watching theses, I don't think I could have done it without them :

VGT Goatperson: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2vzlp3Wq3BY
Naga City Goatperson: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IkrcUzWt52c

I also wrote a generic guide on VGT there, it might help too.
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=3538&start=160

VGT Goatperson took me some time, but mostly because it was my 5th or 6th VGT run, once you learn the dungeon by heart it is much easier to run it. My most frustrating run was actually Purist Rogue, I didn't expect it to be that hard...
Rat Monarch is pretty bad too, and is the one requiring the most expensive scumming.
All other runs are 'easy' in comparison once you know the dungeon perfectly and give your best.

My first serious VGT Goatperson attempt was screwed by TT who was my last god against Horatio, any other god would have do (maybe not GG, because of bloodpools).

Despite his downsides, the GoatPerson has 2 big advantages: easy refills spikes and free god switching.

for VGT:
GG and JJ are awesome for piety farming,
- GG boons are not super useful, aside from removing poison/mana-burn, and of course Humility which is a must,
- JJ boons are really good, but you want to take Petition first...
- Taurog gives you cheap powerful boons (+15% resist) and good piety,
- MA is meh (just get +1 mana for 5),
- EM is meh and dangerous
- When you get Binlor, don't forget about the free 30 piety with the Wall Crunchers
- Dracul is a must have, but risky with EM and GG, get the resists first, and then Sanguine
- PM is good with Body Pact or Warrior Pact, Consensus can help too
- TT is good to get easy piety, but he's a run-killer if you have it when you reach Horatio, I would advise to take dodging only, learning is not that useful there

for Naga City, choongmyoung's strategy works well, I would only recommend to unlock MA once you reach the Arena.
If you're lucky and find Weytwut or Apheelsick early, you can farm lots of piety with JJ on the main floor, enough to get petition, +6 mana, +40 health and a big piety bag when you enter the arena. Try to kill all the enemie, Burndayraz is key here.
By unlocking Mystera, you will convert to her on next level up, Mystic Balance will help a lot especially with the 20 mana pool that you'll get. And of course, get Spirit Pact from PM. With the amount of fireball that you will spend, you should get enough piety to fuel it. And don't take the Flames boon, or the final boss will tear you appart!!!!

I did 2 or 3 tries on this strategy before it work. My successful run was lucky, I got the popcorn secret sub and the Crystal Ball. The arena was relatively easy with that.

On a more general notes, I agree with choongmyoung on preps:

Attack boosters and perseverance badge give you +30% attack (permanent Byceps!!!) for one small slot. Think about the items that gives you something like this: only the Dwarven Gloves give you +20%, and they cost 19 gold more than Troll Heart...

Smuggler's den does't help much for a Goatperson, you don't really want to explore more blackspace.
We made an expansion and it is awesome. Really, you should check it out, especially if you're looking for some extra challenge.

Download over at ddmod.weebly.com!
srid

Postby choongmyoung on Mon Jul 02, 2018 3:26 pm

choongmyoung

Postby Bwrgarbl on Mon Jul 02, 2018 3:53 pm

Bwrgarbl

Postby srid on Mon Jul 02, 2018 10:10 pm

We made an expansion and it is awesome. Really, you should check it out, especially if you're looking for some extra challenge.

Download over at ddmod.weebly.com!
srid

Postby shade_of_ox on Tue Jul 03, 2018 1:44 am

shade_of_ox

Return to Desktop Dungeons