Unexpected error occured when running the game - V0.21

All things Desktop Dungeons

Unexpected error occured when running the game - V0.21

Postby garpe on Fri Jul 27, 2018 9:15 am

I'm running Windows 7, 64-bit. I downloaded the free version (the alpha, v0.21) and when I try to run it I get the same error. After displaying the splash screen a message box says:

"Unexpected error occured when running the game"

Anyone know how to get round this? Or get some logs that would indicate the root of the problem?

Thanks
garpe

Re: Unexpected error occured when running the game - V0.21

Postby dislekcia on Tue Jul 31, 2018 1:05 am

Hmm. The alpha should still work on most Windows machines (older versions of Game Maker stuff tends to rot as OSes update) I would recommend checking up on your graphics drivers, some have had issues with GM games, doing a full removal of your current drivers and installing the most recent ones should help... Otherwise I have to always ask if you've fully extracted the game before running it - some people run the game from inside the zip and that causes a lot of issues.
dislekcia

Postby garpe on Wed Aug 15, 2018 7:52 am

<sigh>
Sorry for the late reply to this, but after some fiddling around I found the very basic error made by me was that I hadn't updated my display drivers. Not something I realised was out of date, but a quick update/reboot and this resolved the problem.

Thanks for the response, and apologies for not spotting this myself sooner!

Great game now I've got it running :-)
garpe

Postby dislekcia on Wed Aug 15, 2018 1:13 pm

Yup, figured it was drivers. That's also about the only thing we can still suggest in terms of the GM version of the game - one day it'll stop working entirely.

The Steam version is much, much better ;)
dislekcia

Return to Desktop Dungeons