[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 120: preg_filter(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 120: preg_filter(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
QCF Design Community • View topic - Weird facts about mechanics

Weird facts about mechanics

All things Desktop Dungeons

Re: Weird facts about mechanics

Postby shade_of_ox on Tue Nov 13, 2018 4:53 pm

It's been pretty much confirmed that casting IMAWAL on an empty tile just costs 3 mana rather than refunding 2. That's why Mystic Balance ruins it, and why I think the Bag o' Tricks interaction is inconsistent.
shade_of_ox

Postby dislekcia on Wed Nov 14, 2018 11:14 pm

dislekcia

Postby shade_of_ox on Thu Nov 15, 2018 2:41 am

shade_of_ox

Postby dislekcia on Sat Nov 17, 2018 11:47 am

We did, but that wouldn't have solved the problem: We'd have to have added two different cast modes to IMAWAL so that you could cast it at 3 mana but then only use it on open spaces. With no way to show that to the player, we decided against it... I remember this change being pretty late in the dev cycle, after we'd already "frozen" the game balance, so adding new UI states wasn't going to happen.
dislekcia

Postby srid on Wed Dec 05, 2018 12:11 pm

And here is another one:

23? (I lost count)
When you prep Glyph Magnet with the Wizard, you don't get a second BURNDAYRAZ but instead one of the other dungeon glyphs is directly added to your inventory.
Also the Wizard's BURNDAYRAZ counts as a free glyph, so you get 6 glyph per dungeon in total (unless you take the more glyph/less glyph prep of course)
We made an expansion and it is awesome. Really, you should check it out, especially if you're looking for some extra challenge.

Download over at ddmod.weebly.com!
srid

Postby Vemb on Wed Dec 05, 2018 12:36 pm

Vemb

Postby shade_of_ox on Thu Dec 06, 2018 4:58 am

shade_of_ox

Postby Vemb on Thu Dec 06, 2018 9:00 am

Vemb

Postby shade_of_ox on Thu Dec 06, 2018 10:58 am

Hmm, you're actually right. It's just that most of these are so intrinsically rooted in the gameplay (no damage -> no corrosion damage, for instance) that I just kind of assume they are documented somewhere since these mechanics are so familiar to me. Meanwhile the actually documented stuff (like Magnet:Fireball vs Wizard) is not obvious to me simply because I don't pay attention (the number of glyphs is not actually very important to a wizard).
shade_of_ox

Postby srid on Thu Dec 06, 2018 1:07 pm

Yes, despite being documented, it happens very rarely, so it's quite easy to remember the general rule and forget the edge case.

About the Thief, he gets +33% pickups, which means one more pickup for every three pickups. So instead of 5 base glyphs he gets 6, and taking More Glyphs means that he gets 6 base glyphs which turns into 8 glyphs.

Following the same logic, however, taking Conjunction with a Thief should spawn 4 altars in total, shouldn't it?
We made an expansion and it is awesome. Really, you should check it out, especially if you're looking for some extra challenge.

Download over at ddmod.weebly.com!
srid

PreviousNext

Return to Desktop Dungeons