Weird facts about mechanics

All things Desktop Dungeons

Re: Weird facts about mechanics

Postby shade_of_ox on Sun Dec 16, 2018 8:37 am

If you are in a room that has no empty spaces and cast WONAFYT, the spell swaps you with the monster it summons like WEYTWUT.
shade_of_ox

Postby Nurator on Sun Dec 16, 2018 9:10 pm

Wait, what? (I always wanted to use that joke :D)

This never happens in a real dungeon, right? Did you acomplish this in a puzzle?
Nurator

Postby srid on Sun Dec 16, 2018 9:44 pm

I guess it can happen in Western Jungle with Getanadafix, or in some EE Curious runs.
We made an expansion and it is awesome. Really, you should check it out, especially if you're looking for some extra challenge.

Download over at ddmod.weebly.com!
srid

Postby shade_of_ox on Sun Dec 16, 2018 10:45 pm

Happened to me in Curious Demonic Library. In fact it got me killed :lol:
shade_of_ox

Postby dislekcia on Tue Dec 18, 2018 1:17 am

Hah! The summon swap is one of my fav things about the game ;)

I think the Rat item drop order might depend on when buildings were unlocked because the preps are applied in unlock order, that's an oversight on my part when I was building the Rat. I doubt it's too big a deal though. You're generally most likely to drop potions or scrolls.
dislekcia

Postby choongmyoung on Tue Dec 18, 2018 7:06 am

The slayer wand's description is wrong. The item does not grant base XP (capped at player level). It ALWAYS grants XP equal to the player level, even if the target monster's level is lower than yours. Of course, non-level XP bonus still applies, and no XP monster does not give XP.
I wonder if this is a bug, because the prediction on XP bar says wrong if I target a lower level monster.
choongmyoung

Postby Nurator on Tue Dec 18, 2018 2:29 pm

Seriously?! You can kill a lvl 1 popcorn with a slayer wand at lvl 9 to get 9 XP? That sounds really strong and also look like a bug :D
Nurator

Postby General_Milky on Tue Dec 18, 2018 8:47 pm

It's not actually as strong as it sounds. It can really help for sure, but you're basically trading 10% damage for 7/8 EXP depending on slow. This can buy a levelup refill, but at the same time it may be even more efficient to just slay a high level you don't intend to fight anyway and take the popcorn EXP as normal.

Situationally very handy bug, but it certainly doesn't catapult Slayer Wand to god tier.
General_Milky

Postby dislekcia on Thu Dec 20, 2018 12:59 pm

I have no recollection of deciding that, but it looks like it was a conscious thing: In the code there's a bunch of logic that would limit the exp to the lowest of either your level or the enemy's level that's commented out, instead it just sets the enemy level to yours.
dislekcia

Postby shade_of_ox on Tue Jan 15, 2019 6:27 pm

Slow Strike and First Strike cancel out to give a "normal" strike, as if you had neither effect.
shade_of_ox

PreviousNext

Return to Desktop Dungeons