A Question for Completionists

All things Desktop Dungeons

A Question for Completionists

Postby FuscaBat on Thu Jun 06, 2019 4:58 pm

Hello everyone,

I have been actively playing DD for the past couple months, and I have finished pretty much all the easier parts of the game. I have all quests completed, a few rainbow dungeons, then one or two more classes + VT for the remaining non-vicious dungeons. After that, the real challenge begins: all classes and badges for vicious dungeons.

My question is: What are some of the most challenging badges and classes when going for all rainbows?

I've watched a few of Choongmyoung's videos; VGT hoarder and VGT Rat Monarch look really brutal. They look barely possible even with the most painstaking and brilliant gameplay. What else in DD stands out as very challenging?
FuscaBat

Re: A Question for Completionists

Postby srid on Thu Jun 06, 2019 8:06 pm

I haven't rainbowed everything yet, but I did rainbow VGT, Naga City and almost all Hard dungeons and below.

As far a I remember, the runs that made me suffer the most were:

VGT: Purist, VT, GoatPerson, Rat Monarch
Naga City: Purist, VT, Goat Person

I don't remember suffering for Hoarder VGT.
VGT Purist and VT were very tough for me as I started rainbowing VGT with those. I didn't knew the dungeon well at the time. Rat Monarch was one of the last one I did, and I got lucky on the scum, so I didn't lose too much gold.

Naga City GoatPerson felt quite hard too, but I got it after a few tries thanks to Choongmyoung's video.
Of course, figuring the right strats yourself would make it all much harder (but I didn't had the courage, nor the time).

Then you have all the other Vicious dungeons with Purist, VT, GoatPerson, but once you dealt with the toughest stuff above, it doesn't seem that bad.

And then, of course there is all the stuff from the mod, but that's for another thread.
We made an expansion and it is awesome. Really, you should check it out, especially if you're looking for some extra challenge.

Download over at ddmod.weebly.com!
srid

Postby shade_of_ox on Thu Jun 06, 2019 9:42 pm

Any Vicious goatperson/Rat Monarch/Hoarder/VT is pretty challenging. Also the gold challenges for certain classes and the third Triple Quest.
shade_of_ox

Postby choongmyoung on Fri Jun 07, 2019 9:31 am

Hoarder wasn't very bad for me, Wizard or Tinker will do. Warmonger is tricky in some dungeons, use Berserker, Monk (which I prefer), or Half-Dragon (for physical resistant bosses).

About the VGT Hoarder video I've uploaded; that was an example run for hoarder. So I intentionally leaved a bunch of inventory space. You can do a better job since you can pick more items/glyphs up than the run. Read the comment if you like. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p85XPa7CNX8

VT, Goatperson, Rat Monarch was hard for almost all dungeons. Interestingly, Naga City Goatperson was not so hard with + JJ + pact. Naga City Vampire was also quite bad. Purist VGT was also difficult, but then you can scum for a good luck freely without a budget problem...
choongmyoung

Postby FuscaBat on Sun Jun 09, 2019 2:12 am

Cool, thanks for the replies!

My plan going forward is to cycle through the vicious dungeons one class at a time, while updating the return slots for each class. I'll pick up whichever badges make sense to get along the way. Hopefully I can find diverse enough strategies such that I don't need to revisit with any classes to grind badges.
FuscaBat

Postby Nurator on Sun Jun 09, 2019 5:57 pm

If you get bored of doing the same dungeons over and over again, you should really check out the Extreme Edition of the game. It has TONS of new challenges for you and its completely FREE :)
Nurator

Return to Desktop Dungeons