[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 120: preg_filter(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 120: preg_filter(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
QCF Design Community • View topic - Idea for a less random Dodge mechanic?

Idea for a less random Dodge mechanic?

All things Desktop Dungeons

Re: Idea for a less random Dodge mechanic?

Postby fall_ark on Mon Aug 22, 2011 12:48 pm

fall_ark

Postby TigerKnee on Mon Aug 22, 2011 1:37 pm

What does getting Blood Power and Heal do different than just using Heal? Does it mathematically offer you more HP per tile because it seems like you're just trading one step for another as Blood Power turns off your HP regeneration when you use it.
TigerKnee

Postby Wargizmo on Mon Aug 22, 2011 2:26 pm

Wargizmo

Postby TigerKnee on Mon Aug 22, 2011 3:02 pm

TigerKnee

Postby bla0815 on Mon Aug 22, 2011 3:23 pm

bla0815

Postby Darvin on Wed Aug 24, 2011 5:37 am

Darvin

Postby q 3 on Thu Aug 25, 2011 7:45 am

Ugh, I spend all day trying to get the Purist medal against Namtar with any other combination and fail miserably - then try one Rogue run just for the heck of it and spawn right next to CYDSTEPP and a Mystera altar. You can probably guess what happened next. Being able to completely ignore HP has the additional effect of making damage types and resistances completely irrelevant - while my Berserker struggles against Namtar's physical damage forms, and my Paladin struggles against his magical damage forms, my Rogue laughs and slaughters them all without paying attention to how hard they hit.

I still like the idea of removing random dodge chance and instead having Rogues start out with some guaranteed dodge potions - probably 2 or 3 would be appropriate. Or perhaps Rogues could have a magic use penalty - something like -2 or -3 starting MP, with their HP increased slightly to compensate.

The game could really use some more sources of magical resistance - at the moment, class traits and divine boons are the only sources(?). I miss the Mage Helm and Mage Plate from the alpha, and think that a magic resist glyph could also be a useful addition (maybe something like 2 MP for temporary +10% magic resist?).

Maybe CYDSTEPP could impose a damage penalty while it's active? Like, -20% or -30%; the glyph would still be very useful, but not quite so overwhelmingly powerful. Warlords could either negate the penalty or have their low health bonus increased to 50% or 60% to compensate.

I also want to note that Frozen Trolls are the most obnoxious enemy in the entire game and seriously need to be nerfed if they're going to exist in any dungeon that's supposed to be remotely fair. If I see a level 8 or 9 Frozen Troll, I typically retire right then and there, because there's no way I'm ever going to kill it. I would recommend a drastic reduction in either their magic resistance or their attack power. Or maybe have fireballs thaw them, instantly killing them but leaving a one level lower troll in their place, like with the Cultists...
q 3

Postby Darvin on Thu Aug 25, 2011 11:54 pm

Part of the issue is that all of Namtar's forms are particularly weak to the rogue; he's a high damage boss that relies on weakening effects to beat you. Only his first form, which has mana burn, is any real threat to a Rogue, and at this point in the dungeon you should have more than sufficient resources to plough through it. So I don't think Namtar is the best example of the Rogue being overpowered.

Come to think of it, game was originally balanced around bosses that did 75-90 damage. However, hard and vicious scenarios seem to have 100 damage as more like a baseline and routinely go far higher. I think the solution here isn't necessarily to kill CYDSTEPP, but rather to give more ways to survive such high-damage bosses so CYDSTEPP isn't the sole option in these scenarios. Also we probably need more bosses like the Indomitable. Presently he's the only attrition-based boss in the four vicious scenarios we have, all the others are hard-hitters that just scream for a CYDSTEPP rogue.
Darvin

Previous

Return to Desktop Dungeons