[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 120: preg_filter(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 120: preg_filter(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
QCF Design Community • View topic - Idea for a less random Dodge mechanic?

Idea for a less random Dodge mechanic?

All things Desktop Dungeons

Idea for a less random Dodge mechanic?

Postby GG Crono on Tue Aug 09, 2011 5:11 pm

Someone in another thread said that they didn't really like the Dodge mechanic in DD, as the randomity of it doesn't quite jibe in a game where meticulous strategizing wins the day. Said poster may have been on to something.

I had an idea for a possible alternative to the current dodge system. It may be a bad idea, but I figure I have nothing to lose by sharing it.

What if after taking X hits (Five? Ten?), the next attack against you is guaranteed to whiff?
GG Crono

Re: Idea for a less random Dodge mechanic?

Postby Zaratustra on Tue Aug 09, 2011 5:15 pm

Supposing you dodge every 5th hit:
Keep around a monster with high resistance to attacks and low attack (like meat man or goo blob).
Hit monster 4 times.
Hit boss, dodge.
Hit monster 4 times.
Hit boss, dodge.
Hit monster 4 times.
Hit boss, dodge.
Win.
Zaratustra

Postby PeaceChaser on Tue Aug 09, 2011 5:27 pm

@GG Crono: Interesting point.
@Zaratustra: Interesting counterpoint.

I don't mind the randomness whatsoever. Just my opinion. The maps are random anyway, what's wrong with a random battle mechanic? It's low enough it can't be relied on for sure.
PeaceChaser

Postby q 3 on Tue Aug 09, 2011 5:43 pm

q 3

Postby platypotamus on Tue Aug 09, 2011 9:17 pm

platypotamus

Postby pakoito on Tue Aug 09, 2011 9:20 pm

pakoito

Postby FDru on Tue Aug 09, 2011 9:26 pm

FDru

Postby zeemeerman2 on Tue Aug 09, 2011 10:34 pm

Why dwarf rogues exactly? What do you need about health conversion if you can rely on dodge instead?
zeemeerman2

Postby FDru on Tue Aug 09, 2011 10:51 pm

Pitifully low health is the rogue's shortcoming, dwarves make up for that since 5 conversions and you've nullified the health penalty already. Taking dwarf allows you to kill much higher level enemies than you'd normally be able to, to level faster (so more lower level enemies to kill).

You could always just go after things you can kill in one shot, though. So humans are good too, but getting an extra hit in is better than the extra attack bonus, IMO, especially since it seems that Tikki doesn't care if you only get hit once by an enemy.

About the dodge, if you can't survive a single hit then the dodge gamble isn't really worth taking in the first place.
FDru

Postby q 3 on Tue Aug 09, 2011 10:57 pm

IMO Orcs are by far the best Rogues at the moment due to the brokenness of their stacking base damage, although Elves and Gnomes are pretty good, too (soften the enemy up with fireballs then take them out in a single blow).

Anyway, I think "X number of attacks" then a guaranteed dodge is too easy to game once you add things like shields and Sanctify to the mix (I can even see using the Weakening malus to reduce yourself to single digit damage and then whittling away at the boss while also poking at a Meat Man who does virtually no damage in return), but there are other triggers that could be used to activate a dodge. Maybe "take a blow that reduces you to less than 50% health" will cause you to dodge the next blow (but it won't activate if you get hit while already below 50% health - you won't get another dodge until you've healed up first and taken another hit). That would even make for more narrative sense - call it "Adrenaline" or somesuch.
q 3

Next

Return to Desktop Dungeons