[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 120: preg_filter(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 120: preg_filter(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
QCF Design Community • View topic - Review of the demo

Review of the demo

All things Desktop Dungeons

Re: Review of the demo

Postby Kouriozan on Tue Jun 07, 2011 8:59 pm

Like:
-all things herborist said
-all kingdom related content (upgrade + preparation), even If we can't do much right now, I already love the system.
-sub dungeon!
-swamp dungeon! I like the dungeon variety.

Dislike:
-same tileset for all dungeon, maybe because it's a demo.

I really enjoyed the demo, huge thanks for that.
Now, time to wait for the beta >.<
Kouriozan

Postby MaximumSquid on Tue Jun 07, 2011 9:05 pm

Love the upgrades to some of the old and busted spells

Also very excited about finally having a spell that can damage multiple enemies at once
(Shove the level 8 next to the level 10 boss; pound on both of them, level up when killing the lvl 8, and win)

Finally beat the stage with Anoobis. . . took me 12 pots, a mid fight level up, and I was about to activate my badge of courage when the dude finally bit it (also the mobs on that stage blinking away and draining even more health from you is very evil)

I found the other 2 hard stages to be actually quite easy, but it might just been because of the class I was playing

Best part being no downside to any of the new features that I've seen so far
Can't wait to see more!
MaximumSquid

Postby Nandrew on Tue Jun 07, 2011 9:29 pm

Nandrew

Postby Herborist on Tue Jun 07, 2011 9:39 pm

Herborist

Postby zeemeerman2 on Tue Jun 07, 2011 10:09 pm

Little question. Mouseovers. I didn't know what the potions did until I saw the little i at the bottom right corner giving the tooltip with information. That is because the glyphs do give information, you don't need to hover your mouse to anything. E.g. IMAWAL says "5 mana, petrify". That's enough to know what it does. I didn't know you can get extra information from a tooltip for a long time. It annoyed me since potions didn't give direct info at all like the glyphs did.
SUGGESTION: use a tooltip when you hover over the skill or potion box, not just over the little i in the corner.

- How 'bout prayers and gods?

Little annoyance:
- Do the potions ever backfire? If a potion heals for 40%, don't just say it does mostly. Just say it does 40%. I know you're trying to add humor, but please keep humor and statistics seperate. For the tower shield, a shield that was ironically never been near a tower, I had a good laugh. Since that doesn't say anything about the 10% physical resistance and is just flavour text, I don't mind. But please reword the potions to not confuse players.

- The conversion icon has a hover effect, so it looks like it is clickable, like a button. Yet it doesn't do anything. Other icons don't have hover effects, so there is no reasoning that they are clickable. I know it does something when you drag a glyph to it, but it looks like it can also do something when you just click on it without dragging something to it.
SUGGESTION: Remove the mouse hover effect when not dragging items to the icon.

- Boss drop items. The high value items. It's annoying to me having to destroy items to pick up the high value item, when it has no value in aiding me in the dungeon (it has no bonus stats, it would just fill up precious inventory space). You would only pick it up when you are about to leave the dungeon anyway.
SUGGESTION: Don't let the item count as an inventory item. Have an additional slot for the item or let it just disappear when picked up, letting the game know you have it (in the game code) but not showing up in your inventory. (like boosters also don't show up in your inventory, yet you still have them.) If the game auto-sells stuff from your dungeon, the value of the boss-dropped item will still count with it. If other items are destroyed and that only item is sold (something I can't tell from the demo), you can have the value in gold from that item, while not taking up inventory at the dungeon itself. You know what I mean?

Some annoyances I had there, but told only to make the dungeon experience for future players even better if dealt with.

Otherwise a great experience!
zeemeerman2

Postby flap on Tue Jun 07, 2011 10:16 pm

@zeemeerman2 : Some characters get 100% from potions. I think that for some others, they actually hurt. So the text is somewhat accurate.
flap

Postby metroid composite on Tue Jun 07, 2011 10:35 pm

I actually beat all three of the hard dungeons first try. It's the Normal Swamp that took three or four tries. (On one of the tries, Ssseth's physical defence somehow got set to 100%. Is this intentional, like "if you try to fireball Ssseth her defence goes up" or is this a bug?)

PISSORF is...actually very good now. If you knock into a wall, it's better damage for the mana than BURNDAYRAZ even without base attack upgrades.

ENDISWALL is...useable but not that great--the best it can do is the kind of thing that CYDSTEPP does in its sleep: give you one free attack (by buffing defence to 100%). But the thing is, CYDSTEPP consistently does this for 10 mana, and doesn't deactivate if you have to attack a level 1 mob while you're regening. ENDISWALL can take anywhere from 8-80 mana for the same effect that CYDSTEPP does for 10.

I didn't pick up WEYTWUT on any of the maps where there were fleeing enemies, so I'm not sure how good it is at that new job. I did use it to set up PISORF chains, however.

And...Elf going from 2 mana per conversion to 1 mana per conversion? I...don't think I like that, to be honest. Math time!

Let's say you're level 8, you're fighting a boss, and you're a class without particular buffs (like Fighter). Your stats are going to be:

HP: 108
Atk: 52
Mana: 13

Assuming a 75 damage-dealing boss, without race bonuses you get 3 attacks and 5 fireballs once you use the 4x potions and 4x mana potions. So that's

156 physical + 160 magical

Dwarf can turn this into 4 attacks, almost 5 attacks (you'll probably regen one square for the extra damage) so about +52 (or +94 with the one square regen). Human can give 20 more damage per attack, so that's 60 damage; and potentially if you get into a regen/attrition war Human will be significantly more valuable (Human is a great race for taking out Super Meat Man). Elf gives...one extra fireball, so that's 40 damage (notably, you can never convert your final glyph as elf, because if you do, you have nothing to spend the mana on). Or, perhaps a better illustration--you get 8 more mana from going Elf--let's use that mana with the HALPMEH glyph to give 48-72 in healing. That's still less than the extra health you get to play with by being Dwarf. Of course, an additional thorn in Elf's side is that let's say the first glyph you pick up is one you want to just convert from ground (more of a freeware thing, sure but...). You...can't actually make use of this extra mana you just gained until you find your second glyph.

And...one final note--I'm...not actually that fond of the new art. Now, I'm a mathematician not an artist, so don't take me as an art critic worth listening to but...I think what's bugging me is that in the freeware I could at least pretend that several of the classes were female. Classes like Sorceror and Assassin and Tinker and Crusader had no obvious gender hints, and only a few classes were explicit in their gender (Gorgon female, Transmuter, Wizard, and Bloodmage male). The class portraits in the demo are of...well...ugly males. Don't take this the wrong way: they're very well-drawn ugly males. But...they're just not as appealing to me.
Last edited by metroid composite on Wed Jun 08, 2011 12:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
metroid composite

Postby Herborist on Tue Jun 07, 2011 10:40 pm

Herborist

Postby Hammerfan on Tue Jun 07, 2011 11:11 pm

Hammerfan

Postby metroid composite on Tue Jun 07, 2011 11:32 pm

metroid composite

PreviousNext

Return to Desktop Dungeons