[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 120: preg_filter(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 120: preg_filter(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
QCF Design Community • View topic - Review of the demo

Review of the demo

All things Desktop Dungeons

Re: Review of the demo

Postby Herborist on Tue Jun 07, 2011 11:49 pm

Herborist

Postby metroid composite on Wed Jun 08, 2011 12:03 am

Hm...Side note, I'm not sure how I feel about potions and mana potions taking up inventory space. I end up leaving them all on the ground until I actually start using them (typically against the boss). And there's no real strategy to it, just "oh yeah, want to use potion now; fetch!"

As for the whole convert from ground thing...am I the only one who found DD more fun when I didn't know about converting from ground? It meant that if I lucked out and found the three best glyphs right at the start, it still wasn't the best move to pick them all up right away, because I might be preventing myself from getting two glyph conversions later. Or there would be interesting situations like "I'd rather have CYDSTEPP over fireballs...but if I converted CYDSTEPP I could get two extra glyph conversions, and fireballs are a decent substitute. Is that worth it?" It added an extra layer of interesting decisions for me. (Don't get me wrong--I convert from ground all the time these days; powerful trick is powerful. I just think it makes for easier decisions).
metroid composite

Postby TigerKnee on Wed Jun 08, 2011 12:18 am

TigerKnee

Postby metroid composite on Wed Jun 08, 2011 12:59 am

Beat me to the punch, TigerKnee :)

Interesting note: I've seen multiple copies of a glyph in a dungeon; especially the easy dungeon seems to have two copies of each of the glyphs it spawns. But I'm pretty sure I've seen some duplication in normal dungeons too (with two copies of BURNDAYRAZ). Seems like it must be intentional because it's so consistent, but it's just...weird; I guess it's there to train newbies "YOU SHOULD CONVERT EXTRA GLYPHS".

(Granted, glyph duplication was possible in the freeware through some super-rare store purchases, but I seem to recall that acted weird there, so I'm wary of it. It was something like if you have BLUDTOPOWA active and you pick up another BLUDTOPOWA, suddenly you're not active anymore. Or maybe it was converting the second BLUDTOPOWA that turned off the first one...? Something like that).
metroid composite

Postby metroid composite on Wed Jun 08, 2011 1:21 am

Totally unrelated note that is more just silly and fun than anything but...

I am amused by the fact that you can get higher level than the bosses in the Easy dungeon by picking Fighter. You can get first strike on the boss due to level gap, it's great! :lol:
metroid composite

Postby Herborist on Wed Jun 08, 2011 7:06 am

Herborist

Postby Nandrew on Wed Jun 08, 2011 9:44 am

Nandrew

Postby Herborist on Wed Jun 08, 2011 12:46 pm

Are kingdom preparations (like fireball magnet) one-time uses, or will we always have access to them?
Herborist

Postby Nandrew on Wed Jun 08, 2011 1:02 pm

Nandrew

Postby TigerKnee on Wed Jun 08, 2011 1:06 pm

I've only just realized how to use Preparation, which makes me feel kind of dumb. My impressions:

Megasmith: All of them are pretty good.

Religion: Boss scout seems okay. I find the player one iffy.

Magic: Fireball magnet is good. The 2 swappers will probably see some use (like for health swaps for Rogues I suppose)

Thief: I don't like these ones.

The double gold one seems to only pay off 4-5 gold overall while preventing me from buying early Fine Swords or something. I suppose there might be dungeons where the gold supply is richer overall but I didn't find it useful for the current ones.

The random chest one took away my gold and then I proceeded to get percentage increases from my base 2 gold or so. Eww. I guess it would be better if I took it alone without any other preparation but it's too luck-based for me.

Smuggler's Den would probably be better in a teleport-heavy dungeon I suppose. Actually I liked the concept of this one anyway.
TigerKnee

PreviousNext

Return to Desktop Dungeons