[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 120: preg_filter(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
QCF Design Community • View topic - Beta update: screw you, monks

Beta update: screw you, monks

All things Desktop Dungeons

Re: Beta update: screw you, monks

Postby PeaceChaser on Fri Aug 19, 2011 11:38 am

The Orc in the alpha, and maybe more so in the beta, give you a great advantage at level 1. If you convert all of the glyphs as a human, you get a modest +% bonus and could probably kill a level 2. If you convert all of the glyphs as an orc, you could very likely take down a level 3 creature as long as it has low damage. This allows you to level up faster in the beginning, which makes you much strong later on.

*edit

Since we were on the topic of magic vs. phys damage earlier, here's a quick way to make the fireball much more useful, and the wizard pretty much amazing: throw an item in that reduces the cost of burndayaz by 1. Most classes cast for 5, where then the wizard can cast for 4. That's a whole lot of fireballs and AM pleasing power.

There are also a ton! of items that make a physical damage user stronger - really big sword, the tri-sword, turog's equipment, all of the blacksmith items, long sword, etc. Where is the love for mages? Where is the item or glyph or boon that reduces enemy magic resistance? Or the wand that increases fireball's damage by +1/level (exactly like AM's boon)?
PeaceChaser

Postby Wargizmo on Fri Aug 19, 2011 12:31 pm

Those are all great ideas, I would love to see more caster items. Even the health and armour items in this game are useless to casters, unlike most games.

I think Orc is pretty overpowered at the moment, I pick them just about every game unless I'm playing a pure caster, even with classes like priest and thief which get huge benefits from going halfling I've still found orc to be better just because the damage you get from it is so ridiculous once you've converted most of the glyphs and some items on top of that.
Wargizmo

Postby TigerKnee on Fri Aug 19, 2011 2:13 pm

The theory -1 mana cost item won't actually give you more piety from Mystera though. You know, since you're spending the same amount of piety in the long run.

I guess if everyone is saying Orc is overpowered *shrug* then I think their formula needs a nudging to stop the runaway formula.

Tenatively I'm thinking turn it into something like 2/2/2/3/3/3/4/4/4 rather than the 1/2/3/4/5/6/7/8/9 it has going on now but I'm not really the mathematics sort of guy.
TigerKnee

Postby dislekcia on Fri Aug 19, 2011 2:42 pm

We've noticed the skewing towards physical damage items and are working on coming up with more magical equipment. Orcs might need nerfing, but they're tricky to deal with: Either they're "underpowered" compared to humans or they blow them away. It's a little annoying tbh ;)

What's AM?
dislekcia

Postby fall_ark on Fri Aug 19, 2011 3:16 pm

fall_ark

Postby Galefury on Fri Aug 19, 2011 4:29 pm

I think a fixed damage bonus instead of the current formula would go a long way towards balancing orcs. Something like +1 damage per 40-60 conversion points might be nice. That way they are more poweful than humans early on, which lets them get more bonus exp. They will have lower damage in the end, but maybe an extra level or more enemies left, so some extra HP and regen plus more strategic options.
Galefury

Postby PeaceChaser on Fri Aug 19, 2011 6:51 pm

Yeah, I meant MA, sorry.

Orcs and humans should be situational. For example, if you have tons of base damage or base-damaging giving equipment already, you would want to use the human race to take advantage of that. Otherwise, you'd want Orcs to take advantage of percent-giving bonuses. Right now, there are a lot of items/glyphs/boons that help give +%, so orcs are rather favorable. If rogues gained +5 base damage per level instead of 50% increase in damage, what race would you choose to pair them with?

What you might do to balance the two out, is make one (probably orc) better in the early game, and the other better for late game. How the Orcs worked before the change actually accomplished that well. However, Turog's +10 sword and the trisword kind of trumps all for early game advantage to be honest.

Anyway, to change the subject a little here, I finally got a moment to clear the new dungeons. I want to say good job again to the devs. I enjoyed the challenge.
PeaceChaser

Previous

Return to Desktop Dungeons