[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 120: preg_filter(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 120: preg_filter(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
QCF Design Community • View topic - Beta update: screw you, monks

Beta update: screw you, monks

All things Desktop Dungeons

Re: Beta update: screw you, monks

Postby q 3 on Sun Aug 14, 2011 7:18 am

Seems like the main effects of the update to Monks is to replace Human with Orc as the race of choice, and make them even more likely to equip weapons and armor... If balanced, barehanded warriors who don't have a strong race preference is the goal, my suggestion would be -20% base attack, -1 base damage per level, and impose a penalty for using weapons and armor; say, equipping a weapon adds -50% attack bonus and equipping armor reduces health regeneration by 50% (i.e. to vanilla rates).

I liked the idea of the Trisword as an occasionally useful joke item. If Monks got an equipment nerf I'm not sure if restoring the old version just as it was would have any significant problems, but even adding another penalty like slow strike or reduced health regeneration would be more interesting than the current generic per level increase.
q 3

Postby q 3 on Sun Aug 14, 2011 7:19 am

oops, double posted
Last edited by q 3 on Sun Aug 14, 2011 7:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
q 3

Postby Galefury on Sun Aug 14, 2011 9:53 am

I beat the third mission with Dracul, but without abuse. Just fighting meat men and the two bosses meant I still got a lot of piety out of life steal. Very lucky enemy composition, with two level 8 and one level 9 meat man and the other level 9 a green meat man I think. Also I always had enough enemies without permanent effects to fight at low levels, I had maybe 2 stacks of weaken on me in the end and no other ill effects. Really big sword and regen fight with fireball against the tower of goo at level 7 (taking the levelup boon here would have helped, I realized that only when I had almost won the fight). Convert RBS after tower of goo, then kill low level enemies without taking many hits. Super meat man with an antidote potion and health pots, then regening to near full after the poison is healed (also save your mana pots for him). Also lots of dracul heals, I think the cost was 55 in the end. Two altar descrations, I was lucky to get TT and MA.

Overall very lucky game which I barely won. Two screwups (didn't take the levelup boon right at the start of the tower of goo fight, didn't convert fireball immediately after expending all my potions). Definitely winnable without abuse, but hard and needs a bit of luck.
Galefury

Postby Zaratustra on Sun Aug 14, 2011 11:59 am

Since godly rewards have stacking costs now, can previously one-time rewards be made at stacking costs too (like tikki's dodging and GG's humility)
Zaratustra

Postby librarymusic on Sun Aug 14, 2011 12:52 pm

There seems to be some bug where if an enemy is on the edge of the map, the assassin first strike ability does not work. I'm not sure if this was intended, but it made Creeplight a lot harder.
librarymusic

Postby Darvin on Sun Aug 14, 2011 4:25 pm

Yeah, the boss on creeplight often has his back to the edge of the map, so unless you have WEYTWUT this makes life a lot harder for the assassin, who should get a total of three first-strikes against this guy. Still beatable, but very annoying for the assassin to have one of his class features taken away by random dumb luck.
Darvin

Postby Xanopticon on Sun Aug 14, 2011 6:23 pm

Xanopticon

Postby Halion on Mon Aug 15, 2011 6:13 am

Halion

Postby Nandrew on Mon Aug 15, 2011 9:52 am

We're actually trying to de-emphasise the role that gods play in a player's game. Encouraging use of more shop items, etc instead of just "get X deity on this run or you might as well reroll" is something we're striving for. We've even had a look at people's suggestions for non-worship dungeon runs, which could open up their own interesting possibilities.

If there appears to be a "power vacuum" when we nerf deities, bear in mind that we'll do our best to increase the item pool to add more appealing possibilities. Heck, we're planning three upgrades for the final Bazaar building, and right now players only have one. ;)
Nandrew

Postby Deadman on Mon Aug 15, 2011 10:23 am

Now THAT is excellent news.
All of it ^_^
Deadman

PreviousNext

Return to Desktop Dungeons