[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 120: preg_filter(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 120: preg_filter(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
QCF Design Community • View topic - Assassin's first strike conditions

Assassin's first strike conditions

All things Desktop Dungeons

Assassin's first strike conditions

Postby Deadman on Mon Aug 15, 2011 4:01 am

Not sure if it's something you would consider a bug or not, which is why I didn't just post it in the bug section.
But you can't first strike monsters alongside edges of the screen, even if the rest of the tiles are revealed.
Deadman

Re: Assassin's first strike conditions

Postby Darvin on Mon Aug 15, 2011 4:18 am

The Creeplight Ruins scenario in particular likes to put the boss along the edge of the map, and considering it's a three-stage boss an assassin really should be getting three first strikes. If WEYTWUT doesn't spawn, it's a massive blow to an assassin in that scenario.

I haven't seen a developer comment on this issue, so I don't know whether this is intentional or a bug. Given that than edge-hugging monster is largely out of the player's control (can't fix it without WEYTWUT, can't create it unless you screw up with a cowardly monster or knockback) I don't think it should stay this way.
Darvin

Postby TigerKnee on Mon Aug 15, 2011 4:38 am

I think it's a bug. I believe it works properly in the alpha/freeware version.
TigerKnee

Postby Deadman on Mon Aug 15, 2011 4:46 am

Deadman

Postby FDru on Mon Aug 15, 2011 5:42 am

Yep the assassin has the worst case of "boned by RNG" due to this.
FDru

Postby PeaceChaser on Tue Aug 16, 2011 1:01 pm

Yeah, I was doing fine vs. anoobis until I found he was backed against the wall. I lost the dungeon because of that.
PeaceChaser

Postby Nandrew on Tue Aug 16, 2011 1:15 pm

Heh, er, this was intentional. When I wrote the code I'd forgotten that this case was allowed in the freeware.

Next update will have edge strikes working more generously, though.
Nandrew

Postby q 3 on Tue Aug 16, 2011 9:36 pm

I like that the Assassin's first strike is different than the Rogue's - even now they're a bit too samey, the only real weaknesses for an Assassin being corridors and map edges. But map edges as a weakness does feel rather arbitrary, especially when (1) an early WEYTWUT can remove that weakness for an enemy that you don't intend to fight until much later, and (2) nothing else works - knockback and ENDISWAL are ineffective at map edges, and even cowardly enemies tend not to run away from edges, so unless it blinks you're out of luck if you don't have WEYTWUT.

I would suggest giving Assassins a weakness that the player has more consistent control over - for example, give them first strike only against monsters that are not adjacent to other monsters. That still leaves WEYTWUT as an option, but it also makes knockback and just killing the adjacent monster into options, and makes cowardly and blinking enemies a bit more interesting (both good and bad for player, potentially).
q 3

Postby GG Crono on Wed Aug 17, 2011 12:15 am

I would totally be down with q3's suggestion if the edge thing was fixed.
GG Crono

Postby Deadman on Wed Aug 17, 2011 2:03 am

Deadman

Next

Return to Desktop Dungeons