The "FFFFUUUUU" Thread

All things Desktop Dungeons

The "FFFFUUUUU" Thread

Postby GG Crono on Thu Aug 18, 2011 3:35 pm

Make a really boneheaded mistake and need to vent about it? Post it here! Share your epic failures with the community, so that we may wince in sympathy.

I was getting close to beating Ick Swamp for the first time, thanks in no small part to the lucky find of a CYDSTEPP at level 2, and the purchase of a Wharrgarbl at a shop. Then I accidentally clicked on a level 1 Gorgon and died.
GG Crono

Re: The "FFFFUUUUU" Thread

Postby Deadman on Thu Aug 18, 2011 6:12 pm

If I were to FFFFFUUUU every time I screwed myself over with a misclick I would be banned for flooding
Deadman

Postby q 3 on Thu Aug 18, 2011 6:48 pm

I think this has been suggested before, but I strongly believe that any action that would actually kill you needs to be disabled - this is already the case for some things, like a Bloodmage trying to drink a mana potion while at less than 60% health - and I can't think of a good reason for it not to be the case for nearly all fatal moves. At the moment there are only two instances in which a player would reasonably want to suicide, namely when the exit stairs are cut off and when you have a chance to dodge. The menu options already provide a way to give up a run without suiciding on a monster, so that's unnecessary, and for dodging the game could simply allow for suicidal attacks if the player has a chance to dodge.
q 3

Postby michal.lewtak on Thu Aug 18, 2011 7:55 pm

It would lose its in-your-face charm if they were to add safety measures like that. I like a game that is fair, but doesn't care about me and makes me learn to be careful the hard way. Kinda like Dungeons of Dredmor, but I don't play that game, I can't even see enemies' stats, HP, anything.
michal.lewtak

Postby PeaceChaser on Thu Aug 18, 2011 8:05 pm

michal.lewtak wrote:It would lose its in-your-face charm if they were to add safety measures like that. I like a game that is fair, but doesn't care about me and makes me learn to be careful the hard way. Kinda like Dungeons of Dredmor, but I don't play that game, I can't even see enemies' stats, HP, anything.

I hate to say it, but I agree with this. I give a big "AW NO!!" then I laugh at myself for being so stupid. Death does have it's charms...

And dungeons of dredmore lasted about 3 games before I couldn't stand it. If it was going to be any bit replayable, it would have to have medals like Elona Shooter.

Why is it simple pixel games are so absolutely amazing?
PeaceChaser

Postby Xanopticon on Sat Aug 20, 2011 9:27 pm

Here's one that isn't just a mis-click.

I just completed the last Quest of Bloodsoaked Blade.... after failing with only 1 more hit left on the boss (that was hard to take). So I was in a rush when I just completed it, exited, left the ending stats screen... then closed the window before hitting ok on the quest box that gives you your stuff. Now I have to do it again.
Xanopticon

Postby PeaceChaser on Sun Aug 21, 2011 1:19 pm

The item should still be in the locker screen. Plus it should be available at regular shops - you just have to buy it then leave the dungeon and slap it in a locker.
PeaceChaser

Postby Xanopticon on Sun Aug 21, 2011 4:54 pm

PeaceChaser wrote:The item should still be in the locker screen. Plus it should be available at regular shops - you just have to buy it then leave the dungeon and slap it in a locker.

Nope because when I went back on, it was after the update and the quest is still there and no item or gold from it.
Xanopticon

Postby Smirk on Mon Aug 22, 2011 10:33 am

I beat the Mage boss in cult of personality, immediately clicked for my loot and got killed by the undead spawn :roll: . Now i keep trying to beat bleaty and keep failing miserably.
Smirk

Postby bla0815 on Mon Aug 22, 2011 7:00 pm

Going with a pure fireball bloodmage at Namtar. Everything works out fine until i realize 4th form and onwards have counter fireball. Stopped this approach like a very solid brickwall. Now i remember that i have seen it before and thought: "Well, melee is much more powerful anyways...". Why did i even try this?

EDIT: Wouldn't have mattered anyways since saving fails again. Now that's reason to FFFUUUU :/
bla0815

Next

Return to Desktop Dungeons