[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 120: preg_filter(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 120: preg_filter(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
QCF Design Community • View topic - Beta update: Magical mystery tour

Beta update: Magical mystery tour

All things Desktop Dungeons

Re: Beta update: Magical mystery tour

Postby q 3 on Sun Aug 21, 2011 2:49 am

Warlords do pretty well with Glowing Guardian early on - assuming you're saving your mana potions for the boss - as they are one of the best classes to take advantage of Humility (being not nearly as reliant on BURNDAYRAZ, HALPMEH, or health regeneration to get high level kills) and can build piety fairly well with courageous kills as a result (and can also take Absolution without having to worry as much about the lost exp). For the boss, you'll generally want to convert to Mystera or Taurog (he doesn't penalize magic use very much, and you aren't casting a large number of spells which is where he nails you) and that usually means foregoing Enlightenment because building up enough piety to convert afterwards is quite difficult.

Dracul actually works reasonably well for Warlords in the endgame, depending on your strategy and available resources, either as a conversion from someone else or even as a brand new worshiper. You can freely give him most of your max HP in exchange for sky high max MP. Again, though, you'll generally want to convert to someone else afterwards (which shouldn't be too hard, since at level 10 you can easily obtain over 200 piety from him via sacrificing HP).

Mystera -> Tikki Tooki -> Mystera should also work reasonably well. Build your piety up to 100, ignoring low level monsters as much as possible, then switch to TT and take his exp and/or dodge boons, kill a bunch of low level monsters, then convert back so you can avoid being penalized for death protection.

I do wish there were more viable ways to stick with one diety the whole way through, but if you're willing to shop around there are a lot of workable combinations. I think it's mainly Halflings (and Priests) who are really lacking in options at the moment (other than Taurog).
q 3

Postby TigerKnee on Sun Aug 21, 2011 2:55 am

TigerKnee

Postby Darvin on Sun Aug 21, 2011 4:47 am

Darvin

Postby TigerKnee on Sun Aug 21, 2011 6:39 am

TigerKnee

Postby Darvin on Sun Aug 21, 2011 6:59 am

I just got through the Crypt for the first time now with a CYDSTEPP rogue. Was punching numbers when I realized that it wasn't just possible, but rather straightforward for a rogue with all his potions, two level ups, and CYDSTEPP to defeat Blahblah. Anyways, on to Namtar's lair...
Darvin

Postby aguydude on Sun Aug 21, 2011 7:13 am

The reward for defeating Bjorne is pretty weak. Sensation Stones can be reliably acquired from the Havendale Bridge Troll. A player that is tough enough to beat Bjorne is in most cases better off just ignoring him and killing the normal dungeon boss instead.
aguydude

Postby q 3 on Sun Aug 21, 2011 7:50 am

The Count is subject to quite a few broken strategies, anyway, considering that you can get infinite MP regeneration from him (leave enough vampires alive and then hit him with a fireball or CYDSTEPP, and you can go "explore" the vampires; works really well in conjunction with BLUDTOPOWA). I was tempted to put the Martyr Wraps on a Warlord and kill him at level 1, but I got bored when he was at about 30 corrosion. (Speaking of which, Martyr Wraps probably need to inflict something like +3 or +4 corrosion per hit to be worthwhile as anything but a novelty item, IMO.)

The piercing wand is 15 gold if it shows up randomly in a dungeon shop. Pretty snazzy; possibly too strong, although it's very situational.

I haven't found any really great uses for Goblins. Goblin Wizard might be an interesting combo, since they both want to wait until the end to start converting; Goblin Fighter worshiping Glowing Guardian has a pretty good chance of getting to level 10(11) with Enlightenment. The main problem is, once you get to level 10 as a Goblin you're weaker than anyone else at level 10; no extra stats, no extra potions. And it's not even like Goblins are guaranteed to get to level 10, since they're usually only worth an extra 35-45 exp.

I think I'd actually prefer Goblins to go back to their original alpha incarnation and convert for gold. In the alpha that was only good for farming, but now that your gold supply in the dungeon is so limited, I think Goblins could really clean up, especially on zero preparation runs. Dungeon shops have lots of nice items (like the wand) that are usually unaffordable if you're going for the purist medal.

Sanctify is probably balanced about right in terms of piety gain and ability to kill a few low level enemies, but it's still pretty boring. Maybe it could have some additional effect, like double piety if you use it to slay a higher level enemy, or some sort of experience bonus?
q 3

Postby TigerKnee on Sun Aug 21, 2011 4:52 pm

Having the "I beat this dungeon with class X" thing is kind of pointless when you don't get rewards out of it.

I hope there's going to be a gold sink soon. My gold has already reached 5 digits.
TigerKnee

Postby Darvin on Sun Aug 21, 2011 8:46 pm

How about exponentially more expensive locker space with no hard cap? I'd love to have 8 or 9 locker slots, and would be willing to shell out thousands of gold a pop.

Most locker items are novelties anyways. The only ones I prepare on serious dungeon runs are Trisword, Venom Sword, and Vampiric Sword.
Darvin

Postby zoombini on Mon Aug 22, 2011 6:17 pm

Just wanted to pop in and say I'm loving the easier quests introduced. I'm a decently good player (killed a couple of vicious dungeons through previous Monk cheesery, but that's about it), and it's really nice to have a reason to go back to some easier stuff and try out different race/class combos.
zoombini

PreviousNext

Return to Desktop Dungeons