[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 120: preg_filter(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 120: preg_filter(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
QCF Design Community • View topic - Will there be Female portraits?

Will there be Female portraits?

All things Desktop Dungeons

Re: Will there be Female portraits?

Postby FDru on Wed Aug 24, 2011 7:26 am

FDru

Postby lunawuff on Wed Aug 24, 2011 7:30 am

I think it would be cool to have the option, and the option not to have the option, if that makes any sense. Maybe you could put it in the global options menu(is there a global options menu?)- male only/female only/random

I happen to be the opposite of FDru, I play females whenever I can and would rather not play males unless I have to.
lunawuff

Postby Museli on Wed Aug 24, 2011 9:31 am

I like the idea of my hero having a random name and gender each time. I feel that would help emphasise the fact that I'm simply an administrator, and that I have the good sense to hire mercenaries to explore dungeons, rather than going in myself. Those places are far too dangerous for me :)
Museli

Postby Zaratustra on Wed Aug 24, 2011 12:42 pm

I'd suggest just leaving it in player preferences if it comes to that. Just have a radio box, "Gender: [ ] Male [ ] Female [ ] Random"
Zaratustra

Postby MeVII on Wed Aug 24, 2011 6:21 pm

Speaking pragmatically I would opt for each class and each race to have their own symbol, instead of a portrait.
The two symbols would overlay each other to make a "3rd" symbol.
For example, a dwarven fighter would be a sword over a mountain symbol. Sword for fighter, mountain for dwarf.

That eradicates all issues with the selection of race, sex, color, eye shape, or 1000 other things people start to want when they feel they want to make a character.

Its best to either give players no options and/or no control, or, give the players absolute control over their options.
People aren't to keen on trying to mix the two.

However, its obvious the game is far past implementing such an option as symbols over portraits.

MeVII
MeVII

Postby Nandrew on Thu Aug 25, 2011 11:06 pm

Nandrew

Postby platypotamus on Fri Aug 26, 2011 12:44 am

I wouldn't mind random gameplay attributes, either, so long as they were maybe restricted to a specific dungeon. Things like:

Scarred - All monsters your level are lower gain "Coward" attribute
Charming - x% chance than neighboring monsters will join an attack against your target
Potion Addict - Damage bonus drops by 1% for every attack you make. Drink any potion to restore damage bonus

Maybe beating the dungeon with one of them unlocks it (or a "good" version of it) as an available preparation from the tavern or something.
platypotamus

Postby fall_ark on Fri Aug 26, 2011 5:03 am

fall_ark

Postby spoomak on Fri Aug 26, 2011 5:44 pm

I'll help with some ideas.

First names:
Snafu, Arnold, Sam, Hilda, Andre, George

Last names:
Glitterfinger, Buttercup, Olafsson

Titles:
The Mighty, The Nameless, The Deadly, The Tiny, The Weird, The Nerd, The Exploding, The Weakly, The Rolling Eyes

For Example:
Arnold Buttercup "The Mighty"
spoomak

Previous

Return to Desktop Dungeons