[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 120: preg_filter(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
QCF Design Community • View topic - Namtar's... glare?

Namtar's... glare?

All things Desktop Dungeons

Namtar's... glare?

Postby MuF on Sun Aug 21, 2011 8:44 pm

As I've finally managed to take this guy down with trusty old berserker, I thought this was really a cool fight. You get that feeling of desperation as he keeps coming back and you'd barely survived through the previous form, you're thinking "This is just getting ridiculous, just die already!"

So yeah, nice work making this encounter, and congrats to all who succeeded in beating him to a pulp, those 6 times.

Here's some character ortraits of Namtar's three visually different forms i decided to make to celebrate his permanent death.

Hope you enjoy the Pit Nammy, because you're not leaving any time soon.
MuF

Re: Namtar's... glare?

Postby q 3 on Sun Aug 21, 2011 9:49 pm

Nice work. Having individual boss portraits would be pretty cool, although that would require quite a few additional art assets.
q 3

Postby Darvin on Sun Aug 21, 2011 11:52 pm

I just dealt with him as a CYDSTEPP rogue. I'm just imagining the confrontation with a scream of "WHY WON'T YOU DIE!?" from both parties.
Darvin

Postby PeaceChaser on Mon Aug 22, 2011 2:39 am

PeaceChaser

Postby Nandrew on Mon Aug 22, 2011 4:32 pm

Cool pics! More love went into Namtar than most boss encounters -- it's a tribute to one of my favourite videogame boss fights ever. :P

Interestingly enough, portraits actually ARE on the cards for enemies (instead of the rather blurry 2x larger sprite we have at the moment). The thought of having one for each stage of Namtar's decay is awesome, time and resources and stuff permitting.
Nandrew

Postby MuF on Mon Aug 22, 2011 9:09 pm

Hey, thanks for the featuring on the news post!

I've actually been wondering where that boss came from. Been doing a bit of research to see what you based him off, and I did read about the myth stuff, but you say he's a boss from a game huh? I'm curious about which game that's from :o

Having protraits for monster would be really nice, but it sounds like an awful lot of work... Good luck! :lol:

If all end bosses of each region are as well made as Namtar, I'm really looking forward to it (except north, I can't possibly fathom how anything could be worse than Demonic Library.)
MuF

Postby Wargizmo on Tue Aug 23, 2011 12:58 am

Namtar is Ratman backwards, a google search reveals that this was a boss from Lineage 2, although I never played that game.
Wargizmo

Postby PeaceChaser on Tue Aug 23, 2011 1:40 am

Holy crap. That was EPIC. Wow. I loved it!!! LUCKY ROGUE DODGE FTW! And first strike <3 and cydstep. Man that scared me when the negative effects dropped my mana below 10 so I couldn't cast cydstep anymore, but first strike and dodge kicked in perfect for his last couple forms.

I have to ask, what was his inspiration Nandrew?
PeaceChaser

Postby Nandrew on Tue Aug 23, 2011 2:34 pm

The mythology:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Namtar

The game:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dragon_Wars

Funnily enough, the Dragon Wars wiki page also picks up on the Namtar/Ratman palindrome, but I don't think this was intentional -- the number of other Babylonian references in the game point to this just being a mythology thing.

Fun fact for the day! :D
Nandrew

Demonic Library's good deals

Postby MuF on Sun Sep 25, 2011 12:31 pm

Back for more!
After shamefully admitting Naga city is impossible to me, I went on and passed my nerves on the Avatar and his jolly gang of Efreet bookworms. It went pretty well. The joys of actually having a simple rogue CYDSTEPPer actually succeeding.

So here's a new pic:

Since the Avatar is going to be summoned anyway, why don't adventurers just snatch a few priceless ancient tomes and get rich with those? I bet there's even a 'How to banish an evil endboss' book around here somewhere.
Guess they're too focused on bashing near innocent monsters to go read a book. Oh well, their loss.
MuF

Next

Return to Desktop Dungeons